Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
25,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What we know from the squad is that Goian will be replaced by Ghionea and D. Niculae by Marica. In addition, Nicolita will play as a RM again instead of Fl. Petre.

The question is: shall we go through to the quarterfinals despite all odds being against us and despite nobody (except our friends and opponent's haters) giving us real chances before the start of the tournament?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes we shall...maybe then the ESPN commentators will give us some respect, so far we've just been some team that Italy and France played against.

·
Registered
25,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.gsp.ro/stire/surpriza-lui-piturca-pentru-tricolori-82651.html

Piturca asked the TVs to prepare him a montage with the Romanian fans celebrating the games against France and Italy in order to motivate our Tricolori and to show them how much we love our team.

I'm gonna try to get a hold of a camera and try to film our fans int he game against the Netherlands. Then I might post it on Youtube.

·
Registered
25,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
News on Radoi: he fractured his orbital bone, two fingers and his nose was displaced. He has been operated in one of the best hospitals in Zurich and will decide if he'll stay with the team or leave Switzerland in the following days.

GSP

Mirel deserves a mountain on respect for his dedication and fighting spirit. I'm eager to have him back in our squad.

·
Registered
25,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm not sure what this exercise is :confused:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I was watching interviews with some of the guys in English: Contra, Codrea, Marius Niculae and Chivu, and PMC you're right. I can tell they are real people with real feelings. Most times I watch interviews with players pre/post match they are just robotic and say the same thing as you would expect. Marius Niculae is a joker, same with Chivu. :)

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
About this actual game, GSP today gives an indirect impression that van Basten will help us go through by saying "he wants to finish top of group C" in a joke and then saying he wants "what will help Holland." Which in theory is us in the semis not Italy or France, if we'd get so far.

There are many scenarios here.
1. is that Holland play reserves and we win easily and the Italians and French complain, as well as people saying that we were gifted 3 points and don't deserve to qualify.
2. Is that we draw but Italy and France draw as well and we are accused of not being able to beat reserves and still qualifying for the quarters.
3. We lose and Italy France is a 0-0. We will qualify with 2 points which would be a first in a group of 4 ever I think...
4. Or Italy/France go through.

I believe in our chances but their reserves will be fresher than us on Tuesday.

I am actually a lot more optimistic than my approach may suggest; this tournament is really stressing me out though and it probably shows. The thing is that I don't think we have shown anything near what we have to offer yet and I hope we get the opportunity to do so.

HAI ROMANIA!!!

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I'm pulling for you, love to see Italy & France sent home early :D

·
Registered
70,197 Posts
Contra, Mutu and Chivu would miss the quarter-finals game if they are shown a yellow card in this game, if I´m not wrong.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
He's a good ref. And Italy have to win as well, he can only do so much if he wants to help the Italians.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes we shall...maybe then the ESPN commentators will give us some respect, so far we've just been some team that Italy and France played against.
It's normal for the more 'famous' teams to get more coverage, particularly since they're the two World Cup finalists. However, on the other hand, it's ludicrous if we've just been portrayed as some run of the mill team with no chance. In Canada the games have been shown on TSN (partly owned by ESPN, with Sportscenter, etc.) and Sportsnet. The in studio commentators have also somewhat favoured France and Italy in terms of coverage, yet they have been relatively fair in their coverage of Romania and treated us as a serious team. I thought the coverage would be a bit more biased frankly.

Eff a ESPN though if they're being like that. But now's the time to prove those losers wrong.

·
Registered
476 Posts
He's a good ref. And Italy have to win as well, he can only do so much if he wants to help the Italians.
Can't think of the guy off the top of my head, so he might indeed be a good ref, but it's still ridiculous that he has been assigned to this game. Image a 'Romanian-Swiss' ref was assigned to the Italy-French game, both their sets of fans would be livid.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
He refreed a Steaua - Dinamo match a few years ago when everyone was bitching about the Romanian refs taking sides aka Tudor to Steaua and Corpodean to Dinamo. He did well I remember.

I don't think its a big deal. The referees have helped us enough in this tournaments with Toni's goal disallowed.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts