Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
47,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toon

One great Netflix show I recently watched is Toon. It’s Dutch so you need to read subtitles.

It’s about a shut-in nerd who becomes an overnight celebrity after a party video of him goes viral in Youtube. It has a very similar boy-girl dynamic as End of the F***ing World. But the show itself is more like early Gervais/Merchant stuff: imagine if Martin Freeman’s character from The Office would be the lead in Extras. That’s Toon. A reluctant celebrity who basically wants to be left alone but everything he does somehow gains momentum. It has some great side characters too like the roommate from Season 1 and Robbie (this show’s David Brent).

It is really well-written and genuinely funny. It follows the similar short format as End of the F***ing World (8 episodes of 25 minutes in one season and 2 seasons total).

9/10

·
Administrator
52,175 Posts
Sounds like something I can binge on commute to work.

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
Nice thread Andy.

I recently binged Atypical about an Autistic high school student. It follows him and his family with a great mixture of drama and comedy. The episodes are only 30 minutes long so they're easy to chew through.

·
Administrator
52,175 Posts
Yeah atypical is very good, the kid is annoying, but also heartwarming.

·
Administrator
52,175 Posts
His sister is the best character on that show.

·
Registered
40,512 Posts
Enjoying Toon so far.

But are people really like this? One thing I hate about fictional TV shows; when somebody wants to say something really important but they get interrupted or whatever and then don't mention it again until it's too late. They open their mouths as if to speak but don't and there's a whole disaster.

Surely that doesn't actually happen to anyone.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
52,175 Posts
LOL, she actually does look like him. Now I wont be able to watch season 3...

·
Super Moderator
13,224 Posts
I'm still watching Atypical and this autistic kid now has a girlfriend who looks exactly like young Crispin Glover...a bit disturbing IMO
I haven't seen this show yet but earlier today I was doing some work at a very hipster coffeeshop/bar five blocks from my home, and noticed this blonde girl with other two other girls sort of dancing to the music, and it was obvious she was someone people knew because of her demeanor how people acted around her (nothing over the top like photos or autographs, but she sort of owned the room in that way), so when they left I asked the barista/bartender and it turns out it was an actress from Atypical, Jenna Boyd.

·
Administrator
52,175 Posts
Hahah, wtf, random. Jenna Boyd is the actress that plays the main autistic characters girlfriend that looks like Crispin Glover

·
1st Tier Poster
47,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
apparently she's 26 (I would have guessed she's like 17)

although Keir Gilchrist (who plays the atypical kid) is even older...and even the chick who plays his sister is 25.

·
Registered
58,965 Posts

Maradona in Mexico 8/10

He actually didn't do badly. Made me for a moment want him at Feyenoord. Hope he has another stint at Dorados.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
apparently she's 26 (I would have guessed she's like 17)

although Keir Gilchrist (who plays the atypical kid) is even older...and even the chick who plays his sister is 25.
although of course they were much younger and closer to their character's ages back in 2016-17 when the first two season were filmed...i forgot that this series is actually rather old

1 - 20 of 22 Posts