Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reports coming out of Italy over the past few days have hinted towards Alessandro Nesta having to retire because of his injury problems.
To be honest i think this sucks, i think he's been the best central defender of the last ten years and it'll be a shame to see him retire, i'd love to see him just join us to let his career come to an end. :) Seeing as there's reports that Milan have first option on Cigarini... i really hoped we'd get him back.
Anyways, i just wondered what you guys thought about Nesta, he's been my favourite player for about 8 years and i'll be gutted when he retires.. he's probably the last great Italian defender of our time, Cannavaro can do it, but he always has consistency issues at Real, and Santacroce is brazilian :) haha

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
It's a shame that he is retiring but that's football for you. You must go look at the Cannavaro vs Nesta thread in the World Football forum. Quite interesting really how most people rate Nesta above Canna despite his World Cup heroics.
I highly doubt Nesta would finish his career at Parma but stranger things have happened. I know for certain that I would rather have a one-legged Nesta playing at CB then a fully-fit Lucarelli.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
It's unfortunate, but it's the natural cycle that a footballer takes. Nesta was a fine player, especially creating a great pairing with Cannavaro.
I think it will take some time before Italy can field two great central defenders together as Cannavaro and Nesta.
This thread has made me feel like watching some old Azzurri games ;)

For me personally, this does signal the end of the great era of Italian football I was brought up around when you have the likes of the Maldini's, Nesta's and Cannavaro's coming towards the end of their playing careers :cry:

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
I've met Nesta IRL outside Lazio's training grounds. (Don't ask)

Is his injury problems that bad? Nesta is in fact several years younger than Fabio. As a Parma fan I will always rate Fabio higher but Sandro was probably the very best defender for a few years at Lazio... He was more elegant than Fabio who used more brute force.

It's the end of an era. Who's there now? Chiellini? Who else? It's a disgrace.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I guess we're down to Chiellini. 2-3 years ago noone would have said that. But we've looked around and there isn't anyone else, so he becomes the successor out of necessity.

And Italy is supposed to have so many great defenders eh.

·
Scudetto
23,385 Posts
Chiellini is great and all.. But nowhere near the quality of Nesta or Cannavaro.

I don't think he'll ever be.

Anyway, that Napoli kid has a similar style to Nesta, but so did Matteo Ferrari..

·
Registered
22,221 Posts

Is his injury problems that bad? Nesta is in fact several years younger than Fabio. As a Parma fan I will always rate Fabio higher but Sandro was probably the very best defender for a few years at Lazio... He was more elegant than Fabio who used more brute force.

Eaxactly it seem's and look's like we're screwed oh Dio!!:scared:

·
Registered
15,670 Posts

IMO Thuram was better than both. Thuram was a freak, a mix of cannavaros brute and nesta elegancy. Add that, he was awesome in readin the game and tackling. The guy was flawless and I cried when he decided to leave. He and cannavaro left with dignity unlike many others who walked away like cheap hookers. :proud::proud::proud:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thuram.... what a legend!! I remember going to watch a few parma training sessions and after training had finished Thuram would stay behind and spend about 1 hour stretching and doing individual exercieses with a trainer. He gave 110% for the club. From those visits I also remember my friend brushing past Thurams Porsche and bending his number plate by accident. We didnt tell him.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts