Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nesta: Lazio are laughable

Nesta: Lazio are laughable Wednesday 22 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Nesta has reacted angrily to assurances that he is not on the market as advanced talks with Inter continue.

“I have had enough of this transfer talk,” snapped the defender from Italy’s World Cup training camp in Sendai. “I don’t care anymore.”

The latest chapter in this ongoing saga came when Biancocelesti President Sergio Cragnotti “categorically deny that a move for Nesta has been agreed or that it will be concluded in the near future. He is not for sale.”

However, the stopper remained unconvinced at these latest assurances. “Lazio say I am not for sale?” he smiled bitterly. “They’re living in a fantasy land.”

“When the club decides what to do with me then they can let me know,” added Nesta, “but make sure it’s a telegram. My phone is on for no-one but my mother and my girlfriend.”

The £40m-rated star is torn between Juventus and Inter, although it seems that the Turin side have opted for Fabio Cannavaro instead.

Nesta had asked the clubs involved to make a decision on his future before the World Cup campaign began, but this request seems unlikely.

“Right now I don’t care where I’ll be playing next season,” snapped the Roman native. “I just want to concentrate on this World Cup.”

“I had said that I wanted to sleep peacefully with some certainties on my future, and for the last 48 hours I have done nothing but sleep.”

“Now I am in Japan, everyone else is discussing my future without telling me anything. Never mind. Now I do not talk about Lazio, but of Italy, Brazil, Germany and France.”

Meanwhile, the latest reports suggest that Inter have offered cash plus Marco Materazzi and Adriano for a total £40m bid.

It has been claimed that Juventus could put a spanner in the works by signing Jaap Stam. If the Dutchman leaves an already weak defence for £12.5m, then it is unlikely Lazio will also allow Nesta to depart.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
It has been known for a while that Nesta is fed up with things going around in Lazio.

Some idiotic management decisions, changes of coaches, his personal disagreement with Zac, probably with Crag too, and fans reactions this season did not help either.

I caant blame him for being angry & asking for clarification on his future.

If he leaves, this will be the main reason.:mad:

·
Registered
120 Posts
In addition to the constantly fishy attitude and even insulting movements by the front trying to sell him, remember, he was asked to hand over the captain's armband to Simeone by the supporters after the derby.
Moreover, they supported Inter in the last match and booed against the Lazio's goals.
I saw a photo of Nesta taken during or at the end of the last match. There, he looked so shocked, disappointed, sad and angry against the stand of the Olimpico.
Maybe, before being fed up, I guess Nesta was disappointed, feeling that the front and the supporter had left him.

I can't blame him.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I sympathize with u and Nesta on this matter. Actually We also have been a target of these kind of problems concerning Sheva:fero: . But our management has it seems taken a better attitude relatively than yours on this matter by speaking with the player concerned:) . Hope lazio doesn't lose Nesta due to poor management.

P.S. - What is this handing over the arm-band thing. I never knew this happened during the derby:eek:

Ciao

·
Registered
480 Posts
New doubt over the defender's future (Reuters)

05/23/2002. Lazio defender Alessandro Nesta has blasted the club after president Sergio Cragnotti said he wasn't for sale.

The Italian international's future has been the subject of much speculation of late and the player himself seems to have grown tired of what he perceives as a lack of decisiveness from the club.

"When they have decided what do with me they can let me know, he said. "But only with a telegram because my phone is on for no-one but my mother and girlfriend.

"Lazio say I'm not for sale? They're living in a fantasy land. I don't care anymore."

The defender had previously said he was happy at the club but these words may suggest that he is now keen to get away.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nesta angered by SS Lazio transfer flip-flop
Thursday 23 May 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SS Lazio's Italian defender Alessandro Nesta says he is for sale despite claims he was staying at the Rome club from president. Sergio Cragnotti.

Juventus have all but abandoned plans to sign the highly-rated centre back and now want Fabio Cannavaro to join them for next seasson.

Nesta partners Cannavaro in the centre of Italy's World Cup defence and has also been linked with Inter, Manchester United and Madrid before Cragnotti claimed yesterday that the player is not for sale.

"When they have decided what do with me they can let me know," said an angry Nesta whose future is also linked to plans by Cragnotti to cap wages at Lazio and sell off striker Hernan Crespo.

"But only with a telegram because my phone is on for no-one but my mother and girlfriend.

"Lazio say I'm not for sale ?"

"They're living in a fantasy land. I don't care anymore."

Lazio have long known of several clubs' interest in Nesta whose future is far from clear.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Lazio "must sell players" Saturday 25 May, 2002

President Sergio Cragnotti has sent out a warning signal to Alessandro Nesta as the club risks bankruptcy.

The Biancocelesti have repeatedly assured that their captain is not for sale, but have been met with snide remarks from the man in question.

Inter and Juventus were said to be in advanced talks for the £40m-rated defender, although Cragnotti has revealed another angle to the argument.

“There have been no offers for Nesta,” admitted the patron. “If Nesta wants to leave then he should say so with certainty. He is our player at the moment, there is nothing to report yet.”

“No-one is buying and no-one is selling so far this summer. The market is dead.”

The financial crisis affecting football throughout the world has forced most Italian clubs to cut their spending and propose swap deals rather than the escalating figures of previous years.

“We must find stability,” warned Cragnotti, “not just over time but right now. Lazio absolutely need to sell players.”

Lazio perhaps jumped the gun as before the season had come to an end the side had already sealed moves for Argentine international Juan Pablo Sorin and Verona defender Massimo Oddo, while Olivier Dacourt was days away from signing.

Much of the cash to pay for these new stars was to come from the sale of Claudio Lopez, Diego Simeone and Gaizka Mendieta to Atletico Madrid.

However, an investigation into Atletico President Jesus Gil’s business affairs has blocked all his finances for the moment, leaving Lazio in the lurch.

Hernan Crespo's immiment £35m move to Spain - either Barcelona or Real Madrid - will bring some much needed cash into the club coffers.

Meanwhile, the Roman club is still being linked with new buys, albeit ones that are already out of contract.

Antonino Asta will leave Torino this summer after failing to agree a new deal. The winger had been expected to end his career at Bolton, but Lazio are showing interest in the 32-year-old.

Parma defender Luigi Sartor is another target for new Biancocelesti Coach Roberto Mancini.

channel4

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
With Madrid's movement till now it seems unless Lazio lower Crespo's price, 35M pounds is more likely going to be paid by Barcelona..:)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lazio on the verge of bankruptcy

Lazio on the verge of bankruptcy
by Espen Andre Skjerve

Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti has admitted that they might have to sell Alessandro Nesta as the club is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Cragnotti has previously stated that the skipper is not for sale, but the saga has now taken a new twist, and Inter or Juventus might be able to sign the £40 million rated defender.

The president said: "There have been no offers for Nesta."

"If Nesta wants to leave then he should say so with certainty. He is our player at the moment, there is nothing to report yet."

"No-one is buying and no-one is selling so far this summer. The market is dead." "We must find stability, not just over time but right now. Lazio absolutely need to sell players."

from FootballBC.com

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Nesta calls off Cragnotti Saturday 25 May, 2002

Alessandro Nesta is almost certain to leave Lazio after communication with President Sergio Cragnotti irrevocably broke down.

“As long as I am here in Japan I do not want to hear about Cragnotti,” snapped the visibly upset Azzurri star.

“This is my World Cup and I don’t want to think about anything that could spoil my mood. The transfer market can wait.”

The defender is torn between his loyalties to the Roman side and intense interest from Inter and Juventus.

He had begged the club to make a decision on his future before he flew out to the Sendai training camp, but instead Cragnotti has changed his tune over the last week.

Before regarding the captain as “not for sale,” the patron yesterday admitted, “If Nesta wants to leave then he should say so.”

This latest statement has evidently snapped any remaining bridges between player and President, although he did assure the journalists that the tension was not affecting his performance in Japan.

“It’s impossible to be stressed out here,” he insisted. “People are always smiling. Not even the repetitive questions on the transfer market can change my mood.”

“This time the World Cup feels like it really is mine to experience,” explained Nesta. “At France ’98 I was too young and let myself get clouded by emotion.”

“Then I suffered a terrible injury in the third game against Austria. It all ended there.”

The then 22-year-old defender was just breaking through into the first team due to the injury suffered by Ciro Ferrara.

He damaged knee ligaments just two minutes into the final qualifying game with Austria and was ruled out for several months.

Four years on Nesta is considered to be one of the world’s best defenders with a £40m price tag on his head.

“Fabio Cannavaro and I were much younger back then and even our position on the field was different."

“Now Paolo Maldini plays as more of a central defender, which is different for me. If Giovanni Trapattoni opts to field a four-man defence then that’s fine with me as I am used to it with Lazio.”

Nesta appears to be one of the Azzurri with the best physical condition in training, perhaps reaching his peak after a troubled campaign.

“I have just finished a season that was negative on a fitness aspect. I am now recovering to hit my peak. Against Ecuador I’ll be 100%.”

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Mancini: Nesta out of my hands Sunday 26 May, 2002

Coach Roberto Mancini has confessed that Alessandro Nesta¡¦s future will be decided by the club regardless of his wishes.

¡§Any questions on Nesta will have to be turned towards President Sergio Cragnotti,¡¨ the tactician told Rete Sport, ¡§because the club will decide his future.¡¨

¡§It is clear that I hope he stays as I deem Nesta to be an irreplaceable player. But I do understand that certain needs must be met.¡¨

The defender¡¦s relationship with Lazio is at breaking point after a bitter exchange of comments and the captain all but slammed the door on them during his pre-World Cup training in Japan.

Mancini has taken over a team that is low in confidence following a season of disappointments that saw the fans openly hostile to their players.

¡§We are working hard for next season despite the difficulties that are afflicting everyone, not just Lazio,¡¨ revealed the Coach.

¡§Our players are the ones in the news because they are the best and everyone would like to take them at cut-price sales.¡¨

¡§I honestly don¡¦t know which type of team I will have at my disposal next season. We¡¦ll have to wait and see.¡¨

The former Fiorentina manager is accustomed to dealing with an emergency situation by now, but the Biancocelesti appear to be the hardest hit by the European football recession.

Cragnotti reiterated the need to sell players quickly in order to stave off some of their debts. Atletico Madrid are close to completing their moves for Claudio Lopez, Gaizka Mendieta and Diego Simeone.

Hernan Crespo is another near certainty to leave for the Spanish Liga. Real Madrid and Barcelona are tracking the situation, but Lazio will wait to see who offers the best price.

According to the most recent reports, the Blaugrana are in pole position for the former Parma hitman.

Only after these sales have been completed can Lazio think of bringing in new blood. Mancini has requested Chievo wingers Eriberto and Christian Manfredini.

The pair are also targets for Inter, Roma and Juventus, but it is claimed that the Biancocelesti have a verbal agreement already in place.

channel4

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
someone in Lazio should shut up and try to listen what fans and players say...

this is so annoying, consider Nesta's loyalty to the club ... Crespo's gone, why should Nesta too ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts