Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After France's victory over Spain in the qf, I had this little theory - unfortunately I only told it to my bro otherwise I might have won some bets :p

"Seems like Italy will be the champs"
(Ironically, I'm no Azzuri fan while my brother is)

Why?
-Based on previous major tournaments, the eventual champs are the team that
1) en route to the final only show 'good enough' performance (read: never spectacular)
2) haven't used up their share of luck
(or, if at times have been quite lucky, it's compensated by bad luck as well)

Remember : Denmark ('92), Germany('96 - they even had shortage of players for the sf), France('98 - luck vs Paraguay, BUT red cards for Zidane, Blanc)

I became even more convinced of this theory after Holland trashed Yugo - to me it meant that the Dutch wouldn't be the champs (because they were spectacular). Later, France used up their share of luck vs Portugal.

The exit of Lazio players so far have been painful - Nedved, Miha, Deki, Couto, Conceicao. So perhaps to compensate for it, luck has something in store for Nesta!

Of course I might be wrong here. But it looks like Italy somehow...

·
International
6,519 Posts
Italy was so lucky today. I am very happy for their victory, but Holland should promote to finals. Nesta was good, even that penalty :mad:, but i dont know what to say about Negro :p
Toldo is the best GK in Italy, maybe in the world !

Italy - France 2:1

M

·
0 Posts
My money is on France and his majesty Zidane!
Sure Italy is going to make it tough for France. They always due. But i'm a fan of good football with imagination so i'll be blue-white-red with a # 10 jersey on!

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Nesta was the man tonight with Toldo...Kluivert who????? :)

Italy have to win in the final for me!!!!

FORZA AZZURRI!
FORZA ALESSANDRO!

M

·
0 Posts
My good what a match !! I almost lost hope when Zambrotta was sent off. Nesta was great and Toldo...unbeliveble.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When Zambrotta got sent off I became more convinced that Italy would win! Remember Juve everytime they play with 10 men it seems like they're playing with 12! :eek:

Emir : Negro? Don't think I'll see him feature in the final, although I'd love to see him there esp. that even Roma get to field more players than we do :mad:

I was hoping for 2 things in the sf (being a neutral) : Kluivert scored no more goals (thus - joint top scorer with Savo :p ) AND for the Italian defenders - Maldini, Iuliano, Cannavaro, almost ALL except Nesta to pick up 2nd yellow, or get injured just in order to see Negro feature in the final :eek: (remember: I'm no Azzuri fan).
But it's not to be :( Unless Zoff go with 6-3-1 formation or something? At least the Kluivert part came true. But Frank to miss 2 penalties :confused: Did the Czechs curse him or what after his penalty then? I mean, all the 3 PK he took - same position, same direction - Toldo is no fool!

It was the first penalty shootout where I didn't feel That nervous...
Italy and France have had luck and luck and luck...just hope the final won't be an anti-climax...

R

·
0 Posts
Holland deserved to go to the finals. Italy didnt have any chance. Only because of the f*ckin penaltys, and with very much luck they won.

I have to admit that Toldo and Nesta :) were playing great, but the rest of Italy was very disappointing.

E

·
0 Posts
Hold on, hold on, hold on...

Italy was playing with 10 men for 90 minutes. They didn´t create as much chances as dutch, but they were dangerous as well (remember Delvecchios chances).
To play with ten men in 90 minutes against a home team, and against the referee is not the easiest thing to do. Let´s give Italy some credit here, they deserved it.

Nesta, Cannavaro and Toldo were magnificent. The rest of the team was great. I expected more from Del Piero...

FORZA ITALIA

·
Registered
555 Posts
"Italy didn't have a chance" ??
Is football about passing the ball from one defender to another just to keep the ball possensio ? Do you win any games that way ?
To win a game, you need to score. If you score on action, penalty or free-kick ...who cares. You have to score. If you are not able to that, then you won't win !

FORZALAZIO e FORZA ITALIA !!

http://Laziomania.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Everyone at the moment loves to get on the "I hate Italia" band wagon...at the end of the day, Italia did well to stay in the match after Zambrotta got sent off, and then in the Second half they got over their nerves and tried to take the game to Holland as much as they could...it being difficult when facing 11 men, thousands of Dutch fans and a Orange referee! In fact, for all of Italia's so called "negative" play, they did in fact make the more positive subsitutions....Seedorf for Bergkamp???? Positive??? Italy deserved to win because Holland failed to take advantage of their position...they did not create that many changes and kept possession, like Mattias said by passing the ball a lot in their own half! Italy on the other hand, took their chances and didn't look back!

FORZA ITALIA!

J

·
0 Posts
Mattias is right. Holland had great possession but hadn't great chances beside the 2 penalties (and 1 there wasn't). Italy has done everything that could do, and, finally, we have won at the p.k.! Sunday will be very hard but this defence is simply the greatest in the world. I hope that Inzaghi will sit on the bench, what he will do against Thuram & C.?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I'm so damn happy when Italy won the match,God heard my prayer.thank God.:) Italy deserved to win,because they have shown the whole world, how to perform a very brilliant defending tactic.Toldo was unbelievable and Nesta,Cannavaro,Iuliano,and Maldini was doing very great thanks to them.
In this Euro competition,i only have two favorite team,i.e: Portugal and Italy.I was very sad when Abel Xavier made mistake by the hand's ball case.Now, i do hope Nesta with Italian team can get even with france,first take revenge for Portugal and the 2nd,take revenge for Italy's failure in world cup '98(they beat Italy by penalty kick):mad::mad:
FORZA ITALY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts