Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday 14th May 2002

Alessandro Nesta suspects he will be offloaded by Lazio in the summer after waiting three months to be offered a new deal.

The Italy defender, speaking from the national training camp in Coverciano, explained: "It's been three months since I heard anything from the Lazio board, so I'm not going to start making promises to the supporters about my future."

The 26-year-old, a target for Internazionale, AC Milan and Juventus, insisted that he would be happy to sign a new contract right away, but fears he is no longer wanted.

"Personally, I know what I want," continued Nesta. "I have an agreement with president Sergio Cragnotti to stay and I am not concerned about the idea of a salary cap - I'll still have enough money to put food on the table.

"However, I don't want to stay at Lazio if I am not wanted. I've read recently that (Juventus general manager) Luciano Moggi held a meeting with Cragnotti about me. I've even heard that Inter and Milan want me.

"But now I have to concentrate on the national team. There will be time to talk about my future, but that will not be until after the World Cup," he added.

Cragnotti has made no secret that the club will make sweeping changes this summer, but claimed earlier in the season that he would rather sell Nesta to a foreign club than a rival Italian side.

The Lazio supporters are likely to be concerned by the board's reluctance to offer a new contract to Nesta - a cult figure at the Stadio Olimpico after rising through the youth ranks - even though their relationship with the defender has soured in recent months.

Nesta was jeered off the pitch by his own supporters at half-time after putting in a calamitous display against city-rivals Roma in March.

But the player admitted last Friday that he would relish the chance to link up with new Lazio boss Roberto Mancini next season.

"I'm sure Mancini knows what to do. He knows both the Lazio team and the club and is a great choice," he said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,095 Posts
The only reason Lazio hadn't contacted him, IMO, is that they want give Nesta a full concentration on the WC, offering a contract will forced Nesta to concentrate on 2 totally different things .. and it's not good for either one ..
 

·
XT Post Number King
Joined
·
111,120 Posts
Mancini: Nesta is untouchable Tuesday 14 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Lazio boss Roberto Mancini insists that Alessandro Nesta is not for sale despite interest from Juventus and Inter.

Nesta’s club future is in doubt after the Bianconeri offered cash plus Edgar Davids and Mark Iuliano in a £40m deal.

But Mancio maintains that the Italian will not be leaving the Olimpico despite owner Sergio Cragnotti receiving tempting bids.

"Cragnotti is an ambitious man like me and we are not going to totally scrap the current side," the former player told radio show Rete Sport.

"As for Nesta, well he is a fundamental element of the side and therefore is one of the men that are not for sale."

On the purchase front, Lazio seem to have hit problems. Udinese striker Roberto Muzzi was close to agreeing terms but negotiations have stalled.

Meanwhile, Manchester United midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron seems to have cooled his desire to return to his former club.

Currently training in Italy with the Argentine side, Veron said: "Lazio want me? They had me a year ago."

channel4
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top