Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we underestimate Alessandro Nesta?
No doubt he is the best in the world now! Franco Baresi himself said that Nesta is better than him!! He had a great "Captain-character" at Lazio once although he was considered still young for leadership, & now he is 28! 4-5 years ahead of him maybe in football fields, he showed us the best shape everytime we counted on him, since he was 21 he started with the Azzuri, & we r all proud of him! I think after Cannavaro, alessandro should be given the captain badge! o i hope with it on his arm he will raise the WORLDCUP one day...
Italy should give Alessandro Nesta all respect, because he is one of the legends of the famous Italian Defence & every nation would wish to make a "nesta-like defender" to feel safe!!

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I've never underestimated him.. been guilty of taking him for granted sometimes, though, because it almost seems only right that Italy should have a world class defender at any one era.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
He's class, no doubt about it.

The real question is who the hell is going to follow him (and Cannavaro) at the heart of the Italian defense? I can't believe Materazzi is our current first choie back-up, and there's nobody young who's particularly promising (esp now that Ferrari has stalled at Roma..).

Italy are on a bit of a decline at the moment, if we lose our traditionaly defensive solidity too we're screwed!

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
The most important thing in football is Defence= Stability, If you have that your team will be solid and you can attack without thinking of getting goals in the back. Look at Bologna, Palermo, Sampdoria, Chievo etc. Their philosohpy is based on a good defence and they do well. Chelsea also adopted the "Italian" way of football and are dominating English football right now, some call it boring, I call it neccesary. Just look at the results. The best Club Teams/NT's have a great defence.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Mago said:
Like Brazil?
Brazil had a very strong defence in WC 2002, That's partly why they won.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree stability is very important, so the solution is that Italy figure out a new "pair" center defs, to back up & later on replace the amazing Canna-Nesta partnership!!
Thats absolutely our top priority
It seems thatwhat italians are thinking ofat this time is to get new forwards & forwards & no body is really looking for new defenders..

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With all my respect Barzagli & Ferrari are not up to that level,
Barzagli is doing very fine now, Ferrari is not!!

Materazzi is crap! I don't think Bonera is good enough, at least as a center back, & Bovo dissappointed me recently, he's not as tough as i expected!!
I think its a disaster!!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Cannavaro and Nesta can play at least until the age of 35. World class defenders stay world class, no matter how old they get.
Examples: Maldini, Costacurta, Cafu, Thuram, Sensini

In four or five years time there might be better CBs than Materazzi, Ferrari etc.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
It's more urgent than that, Mago. Nesta got injured in the last two World Cups. Cannavaro has a tendency to get suspended. We need adequate replacements just in case, and what we have now is Materazzi. :(

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
bogliaschino said:
The real question is who the hell is going to follow him (and Cannavaro) at the heart of the Italian defense? I can't believe Materazzi is our current first choie back-up, and there's nobody young who's particularly promising (esp now that Ferrari has stalled at Roma..).

Italy are on a bit of a decline at the moment, if we lose our traditionaly defensive solidity too we're screwed!
:thmbup: :thmbup:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ruffian said:
It's more urgent than that, Mago. Nesta got injured in the last two World Cups. Cannavaro has a tendency to get suspended. We need adequate replacements just in case, and what we have now is Materazzi. :(
Falcone, Cardone and Dainelli are all better than Materazzi. If Lippi was less conservative, he would give them a chance. Same with Barzagli and Bonera.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Agree Mago, those three should be given a chance way ahead of Materazzi who's had countless chances and fluffed every one of them.

But that still doesn't solve our future (and in part current) defensive problems - Dainelli is the only youngish one and he's not exactly class. Noone is anywhere near the Nesta/Cannavaro league.

There are similar problems at full-back too, I agree that there is a bit too much emphasis on Italy needing great strikers - the fact is that we do, the reason we're often so boring is cos of they style of football many of our recent coaches (esp Trap) adopted, and also the lack of creative midfielders and wingers in recent times. Most international teams would dream of having to choose between Totti, Cassano, Gilardino, Montella, Vieri, Del Piero (at his best, not now), Miccoli...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly, the future of our front line is secured, BUT i think we r ahead of a Defence Crisis!!
I can't find a young talent that is really convincing!
The r talking about a boy at milan's u21s, i hope he will get up to the level, BUT WE NEED A YOUNG NESTA TO BE DEVELOPING AT THE CURRENT TIME...

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Down the years I've come to appreciate Nesta more and more and he really never ceases to amaze me.The things he does typifies an absolute class of a defender who really is on top of his game and rarely puts a foot wrong.and it is true after he and Cannavaro we may in a little bit of trouble for the NT.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Moore, Beckenbauer, Baresi, Maldini....NESTA will be the next member of this elite status!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts