Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Nedved voted Czech Footballer of Year

PRAGUE, Feb 17 (Reuters) - Juventus midfielder Pavel Nedved was named Czech Footballer of the Year for a third time on Tuesday.

Nedved, voted European Footballer of the Year in December, came on top in a poll conducted among Czech players and managers.

The 31-year-old also won the award in 1998 and 2000.

The Czech captain was rewarded for a series of outstanding performances for Juventus as they retained the Italian league title and reached the Champions League final in May.

However, Nedved missed the final through suspension after being booked in the semi-final, when his spectacular performance was a major factor in the defeat of competition favourites Real Madrid. Juventus lost the final on penalties to AC Milan.

Nedved also helped the Czech Republic to extend their unbeaten run to 19 matches and qualify for Euro 2004 finals in Portugal.

'I would throw all these awards into a bag and exchange them for the European Championship title this year in Portugal,' said Nedved.

He was voted Player of the Year by World Soccer magazine in December and shared the award of Italy's Best Player for 2002-03 with AS Roma striker Francesco Totti last month.

·
Registered
780 Posts
this is a given. if he is the European Footballer of the Year, i don't see how he can't be the Czech player of the year. anyways, congrats to nedved. :star:

Foza Nedved. :strong:

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is hardly a surprise. I don't know much about Czech football, but from what I've seen I am ready to exalt him as the greatest Czech player of all times. :)

Forza Neddie

·
Registered
210 Posts
While on this Nedved topic,

Here's something interesting - Nedved's name is Pavel Nedved (duhh I know :D ) and his wife's name is Ivana Nedved...His son's name is also Pavel Nedved :D and his daughter's name is also Ivana Nedved:D

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
I heard its a family tradition.

Your prodigy is Pavel Nedved XXIII "The Long Haired"

You know,my humor can suck even worse than this:tongue:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am :D

Guess what his reason was for naming them?

He wants an Ivana and a Pavel to always love each other, so even after he and his wife die..at least there will be a bro and sis who love each other :tongue:

Sweet idea from the Czech bomber but did he have to go that far....:tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well, Nedved had a perfect season. It's quite a fair thing that he got this award. However, I watched some matches of Czech NT and Sparta Prague and I can say that Karel Poborsky was great for last year as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Czech Republic is one of the most underrated countries in footballing terms. They have produced a great generation of players: Nedved, Poborsky, Koller, Smicer.... and add to that newcomers like Rosicky, Jankulovski, Grygera, Cech... Man, pretty scary team.

So, I guess Nedved should be very proud for the award; his competitors are on the highest level too.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
JKris said:
How can they, when everyone rates them? just check the euro2004 forum. They are neither over- nor underrated.
Most people do so now, now that they've proven themselves with impressive performances and a two-year unbeaten streak and all. The Czech Republic's greats of the past are underrated due to various reasons, perhaps the fact that the country itself is a young one has a part to play. It's not the team that's underrated now, but the players certainly haven't gotten quite the recognition they deserve. Players like Rosicky, Cech, Janku, etc.. these are all world-class players. It may be due to the fact that all of them play for small clubs and this in turn may be because they are under-rated in the first place. The Czechs have been an underrated side or a while now, but they aren't anymore. Widely dubbed as favourites for the Euros along with Italy and France isn't underrating them. But to do them justice, you'd have to pronounce them absolute favourites. Their record speaks for itself.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Are you suggesting otherwise? If Rosicky's world-class, I don't see how Janku and Cech are any different. Why? Because Cech plays in Ligue 1 and Janku in "lowly Udinese"?

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
!bob said:
Are you suggesting otherwise? If Rosicky's world-class, I don't see how Janku and Cech are any different. Why? Because Cech plays in Ligue 1 and Janku in lowly Udinese?
Uh oh :( wait till Arianna see's lowly Udinese...:D

·
Super Moderator
13,714 Posts
Rosicky definitely a world-class player.
Cech and Jankulowski are very good, but the latter notoriously isn't at a superior level yet.
A world-class player should have a better impact than what Jankulowski (sp?) does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts