Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asia:
Saudi Arabia
I think other Gulf nations cannot host World Cup alone as lack of large capacities stadia

Africa:
Egypt
Libya
Tunisia
Morocco
(bid for 2010 before)
don't know about Algeria...

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
It would be so cool if Saudi Arabia could host the World Cup.. I can travel from Oman to Saudi Arabia and watch the Final :D

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Wasn't there a requirement of at least 6 stadioums with 30k+ capacities?

If so I don't think we have them.. I know King Fahd Stadium in Riyadh, Dammam Stadium and Al Sharayi' in Makkah have 30+ seaters.. Jeddah Stadium and Al Malaz in Riyadh are below 30k if I'm not mistaken..

Ya I'd love to have it here.. but I think it's much easier said than done..

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Yasir said:
Wasn't there a requirement of at least 6 stadioums with 30k+ capacities?

If so I don't think we have them.. I know King Fahd Stadium in Riyadh, Dammam Stadium and Al Sharayi' in Makkah have 30+ seaters.. Jeddah Stadium and Al Malaz in Riyadh are below 30k if I'm not mistaken..

Ya I'd love to have it here.. but I think it's much easier said than done..
Yes, I think it's going to be very hard to do it :undecide:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Egypt and Morocco are the only ones that could host the WC, if all necessary improvements in infra-structure, stadiums and security were implemented. There is a lot more to be done to host a WC than just building/having good stadiums.

I can't see Saudi Arabia hosting it even if all the infra-structure was there because I can't see them receiving millions of tourists that wouldn't want to adapt to the local rules while staying in the country. Same problem with Iran (I know Iran is not an Arabic country though).

·
Registered
79 Posts
PMLF said:
I can't see Saudi Arabia hosting it even if all the infra-structure was there because I can't see them receiving millions of tourists that wouldn't want to adapt to the local rules while staying in the country. Same problem with Iran (I know Iran is not an Arabic country though).
true.they can get the infastructure easily but i cant imagine samba girls dancing in the stadium in riyadh.the gulf nation i see closest to hosting it are qatar.they are hosting the asian games this year and are bidding for the 2015 asian cup.but if they host the world cup,i think theyd have to do a joint hosting with UAE.its the only country near them that can accept the event culturally and has the resources.Egypt and Morroco and Tunisia could pull off single hostings

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Pardon gentlemen but i don't think Saudi Arabia or many of the teams in the middle east can host the world cup seeing that many of them don't acknowledge Israel as a country. What would be the case if Israel made the WC? The African Arabian countries are probably legible to host it, but i'm not sure about Arabian countries in the Middle East. I would personally love to see the World Cup in Morocco.....i'd be there if it was

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Most African and ME teams will never have a fair shot at hosting the WC (no matter what that moron Blatter says, the choice will be always biased).

Why? Simply because of the weather.

Half of Africa gets constant rain all summer long, and the other half gets 40+ degrees weather (ever wonder why the ACN is never played in the summer?)...

You think the Euro footballers who moan about Chelsea's pitch conditions (boy, are they in for a surprise if they ever play in Africa), will take the scorching heat?

No way... Morocco has a massive advantage over all ME countries because of their weather, and of course because of proximity to Europe.

Infrastructure wise, stadiums, etc.. That all can be done and is not a big deal compared to the weather.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
The world cup is particularly demanding. It's harder to host than the Olympics IMO. First of all the infrastructure demands are huge: 8x 40k+ stadia and 2x 60k+ with no more than 2 venues per host city. Then you have the issue that the host country has to be tourism friendly (infrastructure, culture, etc..) and also have a competitive team. The weather isn't an issue. South Africa 2010 will be held in the coldest of winter, and Japan Korea 2002 was held in the rainy season.

No Arabic country can fulfill those requirements, maybe Morocco and Egypt can at a stretch (emphasis on the word stretch). What gives them a chance is the fact the rest of Africa isn't better in that respect. The Asians have a tougher task. Emirates? Qatar? No way.

Of course it would be a dream come true. Maybe if in 20 years we're freed from the grip of the bearded loonies we might have a chance.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
is there a possiblity of doing like a joint country world cup. I was hoping one day, if political issues were done there would be something like a Israel-Lebanon WC hosting, kind of like the euro 2008 with Swiss-Austrian euro

·
Mesopotamian
1,469 Posts
Pooh said:
el7omar ele fo2 bedo ye3mel elWC m3 lebanon, one day y3ni, akid nasrallah ra7 yi7t tobo b temo w yerkod 3alihon la2eno elzalameh ktir mhtm f elmawdo3 7'ososn ma3hm, yama yama yama :D
Lool, bas Pooh, Derbalak
ana 3malt nas fel 7arka ele enta 3maltha
enk tekob 3arbi 3alshan ma yfham
bas eli Ana Kont aklmo kan befham 3arbi. :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
ירוק OLE! said:
is there a possiblity of doing like a joint country world cup. I was hoping one day, if political issues were done there would be something like a Israel-Lebanon WC hosting, kind of like the euro 2008 with Swiss-Austrian euro

FIFA already said they don't want joint bids any more.

You're right about the problem with many Arabian countries not recognizing Israel. In this aspect Egypt is in a good position to host the competition although I am not sure if they would be in conditions to provide security for the Israelis and for the tourists in the tournament.

The truth is that nowadays only a few countries are capable of hosting the WC.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
PMLF said:
The truth is that nowadays only a few countries are capable of hosting the WC.
yea i certainly agree with you, not just because of political problems, but like many others have said, the requirements to host the World Cup is really outrageous!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts