Xtratime Community banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
We wasted 70% of the match playing with a stupid tactic against these guys.

If we have to learn something from these November matches is that the system with 5 defenders (because they are 5 defenders, not 3) is not really useful. You defend more, but not better. And you attack less and worse.

Tosca off and Eric in (in THAT position) was a good move. But it had to be the first change.
5 defenders seemed as a desperate measure when we face Haaland and have no quality defenders. Parking the bus seemed as the only choice. But today, it was a horrible one. Camora and Cretu could't help the attacks at all

·
General Iordanescu
29,332 Posts
Camora and Cretu should never have played in that system. Mogos and Ganea would have been better choices, but still a crap system against NIR.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
what are these BS rankings based on? How can Russia and Czech be in Pot 3 when they are in League B (Czechs are promoted to League A) while Slovakia, Romania and Serbia in Pot 2...

·
Registered
70,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
what are these BS rankings based on? How can Russia and Czech be in Pot 3 when they are in League B (Czechs are promoted to League A) while Slovakia, Romania and Serbia in Pot 2...
FIFA ranking, my friend.

·
General Iordanescu
29,332 Posts
I dunno, I mean, it's not like Nations League rankings are any better...

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
Camora and Cretu should never have played in that system. Mogos and Ganea would have been better choices, but still a crap system against NIR.
Yes. And those judgement errors are the ones that are so puzzling. It really seems he lost his confidence after the october games

·
Registered
25,533 Posts
I'm not sure what's your point. Our problems are way beyond being offensive or not. Our coaches seem to loose their mind on the NT. Radoi was offensive when he needed to be cautious and was defensive when he needed to attack. Today he decided to attack on the last 20 minutes, but his choices were so bad that we could have lost, even when a draw was enough.
My point is that since the 90s I hear people complaining about the Romanian mentality but no one does anything about it and expects the others to do something. You cannot be happy about a draw with N. Ireland or about passing the ball around for 10 minutes without trying to win. If you do that, you do it once you're winning and even then. Radoi was affected by the mass hysteria which always surrounds the NT.

We wasted 70% of the match playing with a stupid tactic against these guys.

If we have to learn something from these November matches is that the system with 5 defenders (because they are 5 defenders, not 3) is not really useful. You defend more, but not better. And you attack less and worse.

Tosca off and Eric in (in THAT position) was a good move. But it had to be the first change.
A 5-men defence has always been bad for us. The only time we managed to defend somewhat decently was under Piturca and he was using a 4-4-2 and a 4-5-1 cattenaccio.

There's a difference in being cowardly and being smart. If only a win gets you to your goals, not attacking is being cowardly. If there's no difference between a draw and a win, why bother? The fans and media will only attack you anyway.

And if you're referring to yesterday (maybe you're talking in general, in which case ignore this comment)... We did not park the bus at all. Have you watched the match?
Honestly, fear has always been a factor. It was when we played Sweden in 1994 and we started defending when we were winning 2-1 and it has always followed us.We always seem to be content with even the smallest outcome when, if we really want to perform, we should strive for more, even if that means taking risks. If you don't take (calculated) risks, you don't end up doing much. If you're happy to play anti-football just to qualify, you qualify once but then lose another 4 qualifications.

We were saved by other teams from a disaster, twice
To be honest, the U21 did much better. We almost got a draw in Denmark when we missed a PK and arguably lost 3 points because of two bogus PK (Ukraine, Denmark at home) given against us.

·
General Iordanescu
29,332 Posts
If you don't take (calculated) risks, you don't end up doing much. If you're happy to play anti-football just to qualify, you qualify once but then lose another 4 qualifications.
I agree with you on many things you wrote, but you could make the exact same argument for the opposite position too. Think Denmark 2003...

If you're happy to lose out on qualification because you don't defend properly or focus till the end... you can miss out on qualifications a few times because of those missed points putting in you in a worse and worse position. We've done a whole lot of mistakes in recent memory -- crapping on the Bulgaria game in 2007 is one that comes to mind.

There has to be a happy medium. Not attacking a team that isn't playing, when the result suits you both, is perfectly OK.

·
Registered
70,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
My point is that since the 90s I hear people complaining about the Romanian mentality but no one does anything about it and expects the others to do something.
But look at the former players, coachs and 'analysts' talking in the media. It's always destructive, never constructive. Never.
Now Dorinel Munteanu is saying that Radoi was not prepared since the very beginning and that he had to renounce, we need someone with experience (?). Raducioiu says that we have nothing in the U21 team and he only remarked the goalkeeper Vlad against Denmark (and he didn't even make a save! He thinks people are dumb). Marica and Panduru, nothing is right for them. And let's not start with Cornel Dinu...

I mean, I have nothing against criticism (and more when we play badly like tonight), but with some sense. Many of these guys just speak nonsense (remember Duckadam the other day). And fans are even worse, because they read them or listen to them and copy this negativism.

Thanks God we have Hagi. He can be wrong sometimes, but at least he's constructive.

Past month I did a report and a plan to follow, even tactically. It's in the Radoi's Reign thread. I won't repeat myself. I stick to it.
If people prefer to think that we're worse than San Marino, it's up to them. I think there is potential to do much better.

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
@Lupi, I' ve always defended offensive football, and the need of aving courage and believing in our strenghts. You can't perform otherwise and that's why coaches have preferred to leave players like Sinmartean or Cernat out.and rely on players like Nicolita or Chipciu. When you defend, you can do it with any player, but to attack is a different story

This comes on an environment that is hostile in every sense (corrupt selections, bad mentality of the players, journalists that don't understand badic things, former players as Gica says, bad training conditions, bad pitches, fans that hurt our team, bad management). This scenario makes it almost impossible to create something, and among other things it fills our teams with fear of failing instead of hunger to perform

I'll always support guys like Hagi or Radoi who believe in our strenghts and try to be offensive. However, @foresta has a point. Every NT has to be cynical when the time is right. Many times we lost games or qualifyings because we couldn't defend a result. The U19 against Ukraine recently, the Denmark game in 2003 or Steaua against Middlesbrough are just some examples. Big teams and NT's use any means in those situations. Sweden or Norway did it against us recently aswell

So, what the U21 did isn't a reason to be ashamed. If you look at the highlights you can see that the players barely celebrated the goal and went to look for the ball. That's because Mutu didn't tell them a draw was enoug until he saw they were attacking and risking a lot. If we conceded then, even after a great game, it would have been stupid.

Yesterday the situation was different, because we played badly and only attacked when being down. The problem is our general lack of football, and not settling for a result that is good for us

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I can only talk for this forum but I think nobody was happy here about our performance and result against NIR. Horrendous performance from the players and the coach (Radoi carries the main responsibility for this one though), there's absolutely no excuse. You also wonder if we couldn't have played (and controlled the game) like in the last 20 minutes in the rest of the game. In terms of football skills we are clearly better than NIR but we played like we are San Marino, they completely dominated us (which wasn't that hard tbh, and I have doubts that NIR can dominate San Marino as much).

61 - 76 of 76 Posts