Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The players who'd most likely be forever turned down to represent their country just shouldn't be allowed to adopt a completely random nationality to just suit their thirst for international footie, however big this thrist may be. It's hard luck but why not accept the fact that you're just not good enough for selection, and move on in your life?...

There's nothing new about nationalizing able foreigners -almost all Euro teams have at some point, and elsewhere too. Some cases are even okay I guess... that, for instance, of Camoranesi, Kanouté, Margiotta etc. But if it wasn't always problematic in the past, where's the sense now? FIFA's new regulations over nationality, or the Ridicule with a capitalized R reaching ridiculous heights!

For instance, Berti Vogts wants Celtic Frenchman Didier Agathe to become a Scot. Next thing you know, Qatar wants to turn Yann Lachuer, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Stéphane Ziani, Brazilian Everson and Freddy Piquionne into Qatari citizens -of course there's money to be taken, will it talk? Not mentioning the hords of Brazilians that whore themselves abroad. Among them the neo-Tunisian Santos, who's at Tunisia what yours truly is at New Guinea. Poor Morocco!

You know there's something wrong when countries start shopping the way clubs do while the players cash in on their services.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I would just add that this, like most issues, it's not always black and white. There are some gray areas. Obviuosly, in the case that you expose, i.e., the player is not good enough, I agree 100%.

But consider the apartheid South Africa, the SA NT gets banned from international competition, why would one want to punish a black player from SA because his country does not allow blacks to live a normal life? If that player has moved to another country to escape prosecution, then he should be allowed to adopt that new coutry as his own and play for another NT. These are cases where I see a player playing for two different NT's

FIFA should be able to see grey areas.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
I agree with this thread. Changing nationalities shouldn't be possible. ONLY in cases when the player was born in a spacific country like Margiotta, or has heritage from a spacific country like Camoranesi or if the player was born in one country but grew up in another like most of the french players it should be okey.

What really bothers me are all those players that changes nationality just cause they aren't good enough for their native country, like Alex Santos in Japan, Clayton and Santos and Olisadebe in Poland. These players got nothing in common with those countries. They were just dominating their league a few seasons they played there before moving on. And i don't give a damn wether Olisadebe married a Polish girl or not, it still doesn't make him Polish. If this "trend" continues we could soon have national teams acting like club teams and grabbing new talents and making them play for their NT at a early stage. Fifa must act quick, international football should be based on domestic talent and nothing else.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
What about if your mom is French, dad is Italian and you're born and raised in England. In your opinion(s) could it be OK to choose a nation to represent.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Raven said:
What about if your mom is French, dad is Italian and you're born and raised in England. In your opinion(s) could it be OK to choose a nation to represent.
Yeah let him choose...:)

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
GaGa said:
Yeah let him choose...:)
Well then Kanoute's case is perfectly OK. His father was from Mali and he chose to play for Mali. In Olisadebe's case its wrong of him to play for a completely foreign country, but this happened years ago. Nothing new.

What we are reffering to here is the new law which allows players with a multiple nationality at the time of their first call up to a youth squad to be allowed to play for another country's A squad. This is not wrong if your nationalities are of your family and of your own, but its definitely wrong if you just move to a country for citizenship and decide to play for it.

Cudicini could play for England if him and the FA agreed. This shouldn't ba allowed. Cudicini is Italian and has nothing to do with England apart from the fact that he works there.

Somebody like Claudiu Keserü- who has been capped numerous times at Romania youth-level- should be allowed to play for Hungary if he so desired (which he doesn't [thank God] ;) ), because his parents are from Hungary while he is born Romanian.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It doesn't matter where you're born. Only blood matters. If Keseru's parents are both hungarian- he is hungarian. Whether he was born in zimbabwe or romania- he is hungarian.

What nationality are his grandparents???

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Wasn't Newcastles Ameobi capped at Nigerian youth level and then capped at full English cap later or was it the other way round? :confused:

I seem to remember such a story anyway...or was it my imagination...:tongue: :D

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Raven said:

Somebody like Claudiu Keserü- who has been capped numerous times at Romania youth-level- should be allowed to play for Hungary if he so desired (which he doesn't [thank God] ;) ), because his parents are from Hungary while he is born Romanian.
Keserü is one of the 2 million Hungarians living in Transylvania .... where does it say his parents were born in modern day Hungary?

I am with nasty nick ... However I would like to add that any ethinic Hungarian born in pri trianon borders should be allowed to play for Hungary.

I also think that coaches should be the same nationality too.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Raven said:
Well then Kanoute's case is perfectly OK. His father was from Mali and he chose to play for Mali. In Olisadebe's case its wrong of him to play for a completely foreign country, but this happened years ago. Nothing new.

What we are reffering to here is the new law which allows players with a multiple nationality at the time of their first call up to a youth squad to be allowed to play for another country's A squad. This is not wrong if your nationalities are of your family and of your own, but its definitely wrong if you just move to a country for citizenship and decide to play for it.

Cudicini could play for England if him and the FA agreed. This shouldn't ba allowed. Cudicini is Italian and has nothing to do with England apart from the fact that he works there.

I agree Cudicini should not be representing England...I know he might never represent Italy but that's life he chose life in England knowing full well his Italian chance of being called up is limited to say the least.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Della Rocca said:
It doesn't matter where you're born. Only blood matters. If Keseru's parents are both hungarian- he is hungarian. Whether he was born in zimbabwe or romania- he is hungarian.

What nationality are his grandparents???
100% agree with you.

same as the case of monica seles, all her family tree is Hungarian. Went to a Hungarian school and speaks Hungarian as her first language.

Thats why I think its fine for Turkey have players ike ümit davala and Bastürk playing for them,

ps. I heard ailton wants to play for Germany :yuck:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Bentex said:
Keserü is one of the 2 million Hungarians living in Transylvania .... where does it say his parents were born in modern day Hungary?

I am with nasty nick ... However I would like to add that any ethinic Hungarian born in pri trianon borders should be allowed to play for Hungary.

I also think that coaches should be the same nationality too.
So do I.

Bentex, I thought Keserü's parent were Hungarian. :confused: Where are they from then, and how is he linked to Hungary. BTW Keserü lives in France now. :tongue:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Della Rocca said:
OK, then. My mom is Romanian, my dad is Swedish, which country could I play for?

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Raven said:
OK, then. My mom is Romanian, my dad is Swedish, which country could I play for?
That some mix...:D

Ahem...which do you think holds more prestige? For me if I was in your position I would probably pick Romania...can be idolized far more then cool swedes ever could. ;) :tongue: :D

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
GaGa said:
That some mix...:D

Ahem...which do you think holds more prestige? For me if I was in your position I would probably pick Romania...can be idolized far more then cool swedes ever could. ;) :tongue: :D
I know its a crazy mix! Thats why I turned out :wth:

:D

Of course I would pick Romania if given the chance, but I am curious to see what Della Rocca says.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Raven said:
So do I.

Bentex, I thought Keserü's parent were Hungarian. :confused: Where are they from then, and how is he linked to Hungary. BTW Keserü lives in France now. :tongue:
just because you were born In Romania don't make you Romanian.
There are areas that are over 95% Hungarian (Hungarian schools/Theaters etc)

we have a few Hungarians living in Transylvania on this forum.
I do belive Hungarian is the biggest minority in Europe ... (3,5 Million Hungarians just around the borders)

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Bentex said:
I do belive Hungarian is the biggest minority in Europe ... (3,5 Million Hungarians just around the borders)
Smallest Minority would be Malta with 400,000 ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Raven said:
You could play for both
where you should play is a different story IMO

Where would you say most of your relatives are from??? Like your grandparents?????

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Bentex said:
just because you were born In Romania don't make you Romanian.
There are areas that are over 95% Hungarian (Hungarian schools/Theaters etc)

You haven't answerd my question. Well, maybe you have but I can't see it. How is Keseru Romanian and how is he Hungarian? If both his parents are Romanian, and he is born in Romania he is ROMANIAN!!!!

Hoe is he Hungarian and how is Boloni Hungarian?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts