Xtratime Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which ethnic group in Europe is the only one to have its own language, football team, culture, newspapers and television stations, government, and stadium, but not access to major tournaments?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Yeah the Catalans sounds right. They wouldn't have a bad side, neither would the Basques right enough.

Question is, Should they have access to the Major Tournaments?

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the Catalans. They have their own language, 98,000 seater stadium, 8 million football fans, and a team to rival the best in the world.

They've recently played Brazil - and went down 3-1 in an richly entertaining game. Not only that, but the Catalonian team was made up of Barcelona C players - hardly the type of team expected to give Brazil a hard time, but the potential of the Catalan team is evident.

The Scots can player in the World Cup, and rightly so - but they are part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and, therefore, are not a country. Catalonia deserves to have a team to compete in the European Championships and the World Cup - as do the Basques.

Many members of the French national team of 1998 were Basque - as they are today. Would they be World Champions if Barthez, Lizarazu or Deschamps? Players from Spain such as Mendieta, and Etxeberria would also make fine additions to the Basque squad. I'm sure the Catalan team would be almost as star-studded, with players like Xavi, Gabri, Raul Tamudo and Luis Enriques.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Bastin said:
I'm sure the Catalan team would be almost as star-studded, with players like Xavi, Gabri, Raul Tamudo and Luis Enriques.
Actually Luis Enrique is Asturiano not Catalan. I don't think Catalonia will get to play in major tournaments, so long as they are not an independant nation from Spain.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mendieta said:
Actually Luis Enrique is Asturiano not Catalan.
Oh, well, at least he's a naturalised Catalan, having been with Barcelona for over 5 years.

Mendieta said:
I don't think Catalonia will get to play in major tournaments, so long as they are not an independant nation from Spain.
Scotland, Wales, and Nothern Ireland are not strictly separate states from England, but still have their own national teams.

Also, remember that this isn't a rant on behalf of the Catalan people - it's all hypothetical, for now...

·
Registered
966 Posts
As Catalan, I think we would have a good enough NT: Puyol, Tamudo, Guardiola or Xavi are very talented players; we'd be at the same level as Belgium, Slovenia or Romania for example.

Anyways I don't think it's a good idea, that would make the Spanish NT weaker, and besides I think the players prefer to play for Spain.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Their desire to play for Spain as opposed to Catalonia would be a hindrance, but, then again, there are major factions that would prefer to play for a Catalan team. I think that they'd be a force in the qualifying process for major tournaments. Whether they would qualify for the World Cup or European Championships is not clear - but if teams like Slovenia can qualify for the World Cup, then Catalonia can.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
What is the likelihood that the Basques and Catalans will get their own NTs, seperate from Spain?

Is it feasible at all or purely hypothetical for now?

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's really just hypothetical - but there is a Catalan representative team that played Brazil a few weeks ago, and if this team gradually became more established, used the more established Catalan players, (Xavi, Gabri, Raul Tamudo, Puyol and Guardiola, plus some others that I haven't realised) then it could become a regular fixture to play a Catalan team just before a major tournament.

I hope that it does happen. This isn't because I want the Spanish team to become weaker, because I don't, or because I have any relations to Catalonia at all, because I don't except supporting Barcelona. It's simply because Catalonia deserves a team - as an ethnic group, with foundations laid, with a huge stadium, with a language and culture, and large numbers of supporters and good players.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Bastin said:

Many members of the French national team of 1998 were Basque - as they are today. Would they be World Champions if Barthez, Lizarazu or Deschamps?
Barthez is NOT basque he is French. Deschamps is from Bayonne, a city in the heart of the Pays Basque, in the French side, but he is not basque, he just lived there. The only "true" basque of the French Team is Lizarazu.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
San_Siro_1 said:
Barthez is NOT basque he is French. Deschamps is from Bayonne, a city in the heart of the Pays Basque, in the French side, but he is not basque, he just lived there. The only "true" basque of the French Team is Lizarazu.
Barthez was born in Lavelanet - which I classify as the Pays Basque - it being a matter of 20km from the Spanish border in the Midi-Pyrénées.

Lizarazu was born in St-Jean-de-Luz, which is just 5km, if that, from the Spanish border.

Deschamps was born in Bayonne, which is also just a short journey from Spain - only 20km down the Atlantic coast.

All of these three were born in Basque regions, into Basque families. Barthez and Lizarazu's names are dead giveaways!

Now your going to say that Arsène Wenger isn't Alsatian, or that Patrick Vieira isn't even partly Senegalese.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts