Xtratime Community banner

14581 - 14600 of 14605 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Zoric, you hit upon a point that worries me the most currently; we don't look great in a 4-2-3-1 in terms of defensive cohesion. This was a problem under Mihajlovic and it seems to be the same thing, at least in the game versus Chile.
I think we looked even more defensively unstable with the 3-4-3 Muslin was playing. We conceded a lot of goals during the last campaign (5 to Austria alone) and made many defensive errors. The main reason we were able to overcome that is by freeing Tadic and Kostic of their defensive responsibilities, allowing them to focus entirely on attack. Luckily both happened to be in great form.

I think one of the things that concerns me the most is how slow we are. If we start Tosic and Ljajic, we might the slowest team in the tournament. Not a single guy I would consider quick.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
So when we press on the left wing we look like

GK

DR DC Mitrovic DC DL
Kostic SMS Zivkovic

MR MC MC ML
Kolarov Matic Milivojevic Rukavina

Ivanovic

Milenkovic​

However, this, at even a decent level takes time to implement. It took my team 6 months to really understand how to press collectively and when the forward is required to press and when he should drop to mark out the defensive midfielder.
I think it can be done in a shorter amount of time, especially if the players are intelligent, receptive, good at picking up things quickly and naturally aggressive. I think we have plenty of players who lack natural aggressivty though so that's a problem. Did you work a lot with triggers? Serbia would probably have to work with choosing their moments rather than developing a whole system as it'd be impossible in such a short amount of time, especially with the changes to the starting line-up that's so frequent. This is partly why Spain, Germany or other countries with a clear identity on how to play with and without the ball are so successfull. Their players grow up with all tactical patterns being programmed into them, then the coaches at NT-level can add to that knowledge. Coupled with their ability on the ball obviously.

Half-primitive example:

1) You identify your rivals weakest link in the build-up. A CB with "bad" feet for an example.

2) You study his tendencies: "Ah, he likes to play it safe and often to the LDM" or "LB". He does it that many times during a game when he's under pressure. Primitive example of course since you have to take into account other things as well, like what happens if the ball-playing midfielder gets the ball instead of the hard working (if that's even how the opponent is lined up).

3) Choice to make:
a) Let's choose our moments when to press collectively since the profile of our team can't handle it for more than maybe 3-4 minutes at a time. Serbia has a specific build which doesn't suit us that well for doing it often and for longer periods of time.
b) Let's do it collectively for a larger period of time in order to gain advantages early in a game. The "on-slaught approach" or whatever you'd call it; a bit like Liverpool, Atlético Madrid, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla under Sampaoli etc. Not as often or long obviously, not as efficient of course.

4) Who has the final say when we're going from "safe mode" (defending deeper) to start chasing the opponent from a pressing point of view? What's the trigger? The "3 second rule" which Barcelona used so efficiently or will we only be pressing the opponent to their "weaker side" in order to compress space before they eventually hit it long and we can prepare to win the battle for the second ball? How do we line-up the most efficient possible way to avoid being picked apart because of our lack of pace at the back? The co-operation is almost non-existant between CB's and DM's lately. That was a huge problem under Muslin when the opponent played through Serbia for an example, plus the lack of pace obviously. Never a good combination.

This is just one version btw.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
I think one of the things that concerns me the most is how slow we are. If we start Tosic and Ljajic, we might the slowest team in the tournament. Not a single guy I would consider quick.
We are probably the slowest team in the tournament and not particularly gifted technically at the back :D

It can be compensated by being able to hold on to the ball though but you'll need to mix it up a bit with quicker players who're especially good in spaces, off the ball so to say. This is why I wanted Gaćinović in the team. Hard working, versatile, plays well in open spaces and still has a lot of quality on the ball.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Milenković at CB is a logical thought to improve the ability to get the ball out of defence, especially to our midfielders. But it also requires Milivojević and especially Matić to play the ball much quicker. Matić can get caught up in thinking too much so the best opportunity vanishes.

I watched England-Costa Rica yesterday. The Costa Rican's let Henderson sit at the centre circle and dictate play in a way which almost told my gut instinct that they did it on purpose. Just so they'd lure a trap against Serbia and press much more intensively.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Seems like Krstajic is considering a Bane-Milenkovic-Tosic-Kolarov back line. Not sure how I feel about that especially considering some of the pace we will be facing in this group.
Zurnal is predicting that back line tomorrow:

It sounds like the lineup we start tomorrow will be the first choice team

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Strong lineup. Not too fussed about Bane at RB tbh as Rukavina isn't exactly a huge upgrade there. Would have liked to see Tosic replaced though.

Atleast no Grujic ;)

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Strong lineup. Not too fussed about Bane at RB tbh as Rukavina isn't exactly a huge upgrade there. Would have liked to see Tosic replaced though.
Agree on both points.

I don't rate Milivojevic as highly as others but he does bring us some defensive stability. The question is whether SMS can do a complete job next to Matic. SMS is most effective further up the pitch - he's maybe our best players in the final third and serves as a very effective target man if we're struggling in possession - but he'll have to be disciplined at CM.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Agree on both points.

I don't rate Milivojevic as highly as others but he does bring us some defensive stability. The question is whether SMS can do a complete job next to Matic. SMS is most effective further up the pitch - he's maybe our best players in the final third and serves as a very effective target man if we're struggling in possession - but he'll have to be disciplined at CM.
I think it just depends on who we play against. I think Matic and Milivojevic will need to start vs Brazil (I still prefer Matic - Fejsa but Milivojevic has had an impressive season at Palace and is an intelligent player), but should be safe to do Matic SMS for the Swiss and Costa Rica. There is nothing to lose and I'd rather we go out fighting instead of trying to keep it tight for 90mins and a Tosic blunder causing a goal and we go back home without going full throttle.

Our strength is in midfield and attack and we need to let those guys show what they can do.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
We've recuperated the diagonal crosses from CB to fullback/winger. One of the best things Muslin implemented. Very positive to see.

The CM's are also hitting these diagonals which adds another dimension to Serbia's overall attacking play.

We could still be a bit more direct. Defend better in some situations where better players will make more out of the situations.

Bolivia is one of the worst teams around away from home, probably the worst, but a good performance overall. And the team looks set physically as well.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Can't recall the last time we dominated a team this badly :lol:

I was expecting us to win this match but not like this. Hard to read too much into it because Bolivia look really poor but they did just tie South Korea a couple of days ago.

I would do full scale changes at half. Bring on as many substitutes at half and don't take any chances with injuries.

The question now is, is this the team we start the World Cup with?

14581 - 14600 of 14605 Posts