Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
They would do fine, if the pass the adaptation which is hard for every human. A good player can play anywhere so we do not have to return the mistake done by those who argue that players here would not play in the "wonder" leagues of europe claiming the opposite.

·
Registered
301 Posts
MutOofd said:
Name top flight players in the Euro Leagues that wouldn't cut it in the Brazilian First Division:

My nominations are:
Rino Gattuso,Barry Ferguson, Thierry Henry
I wouldn't mind Parreira testing Gattuso in our cabeça-de-área (d-mid) spot right now.

Edmílson doesn't appear to be the answer, Gilberto Silva has underperformed, Renato is ok, but not ideal yet. Émerson deserves a shot but has a lot of negative performances against him already. Dudu Cearense may be the answer but in the end we may not find one and play, even win the WC with a poor d-mid that does not protect our defense sufficiently well.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I actually thought Edmilson was doing quite well as our DM before his injury. :)

And about the three nominations... c'mon, Gattuso and Henry are both qualified players.

Henry would have a decent chance of making the NT, if he were Brazilian (the competition is fierce but Titi is undeniably talented).

And if Gattuso was Brazuca the fans and media would inevitably despise him just as it despises Emerson and despised Dunga – Brazilians don't appreciate that 'physical' style of player. That predictable rejection might hurt his chances of making the NT, but Gattuso would be an unquestionable starter in ANY top Brazilian club today.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with Barry Ferguson to form an educated opinion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Garrincha said:
I actually thought Edmilson was doing quite well as our DM before his injury. :)
I think he is a good option but not against teams like Argentina who can put us under a lot of pressure in midfield and have superior offensive talent, comparable to our own.

The problem is that no matter how good our central defense is, against teams that pressure us effectively even the best defenders in the world (and ours are close, no matter what stereotypes say) would have trouble. Edmílson does not sufficiently protect them in these cases.

·
Banned
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe is should explain why i chose these players:

Ferguson and Gattuso both are supposedly Def Mids, but they arent any good at defending(without fouls) and just kick around wildly

I chose henry because he can only play in a two striker system, the reason he busted up in italy(he sucks on the wings as well)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Arsenal play four strikers at once. Ljungberg and Pires are nothing but withdrawn strikers. Arsenal's paper 4-4-2 is more like a 2-4-4 when in full effect.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
This is irrelevant, May Henry "suck" as a winger because that is the imbecility of the coach using him in such way. I must point that Ronaldo would not do great in the Wing also and a duo Henry-Ronaldo would be wonderful to watch.

Now, Emerson plays for brazil, the minotaur. Our regional league have two, three times more fouls than wherever Ferguson or Gattuso plays and you think if they are violent (not saying it is true) they would not play here ?
Ze Elias Plays here. Gattuso can do it as easily.

·
Registered
301 Posts
khimik said:
Arsenal play four strikers at once. Ljungberg and Pires are nothing but withdrawn strikers. Arsenal's paper 4-4-2 is more like a 2-4-4 when in full effect.
They play as wide midfielders and have plenty of defensive work to do. Many teams in the premiership play a 4-4-2 with 2 central mids and 2 wide mids, often converted wingers like Ljungberg, Pires, Giggs, CRonaldo, Duff etc.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
MutOofd said:
Name top flight players in the Euro Leagues that wouldn't cut it in the Brazilian First Division:

My nominations are:
Rino Gattuso,Barry Ferguson, Thierry Henry

Barry Ferguson wouldn't cut it because, like all us Scots, he would burn up and die within minutes of playing in Brazils heat. :D

To be serious, he's odd in that he plays in a deep midfield position often, but he's not a big tackler. If he played in a Brazilian team with a pure destroyer-type midfielder to protect him, his passing range would be quite useful. Like anywhere else I suppose.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I do not believe I am doing it, but I can say a good word for Gatusso

When i saw him for the first time , I was frightened

He looked really as if he does not know anything about football and just kicking around~at the ball or the rivals. His face does not inspire confidence on first sight

But that year I followed Milan quite closely and i have seen that Gatusso is not a hooligan in spite of his looks, and what he lacks in technics (he has improved during the 2 years that I am observing) he has in devotion, spirit and team playing. He is trying very hard ,never gives up; He even declared ones that the fantasistas do not have to worry, they has just to do their magic, he will do the running :howler:

Maybe you can compare him to Augusto Recife, that is that type of player

Such a player can be usueful to some Brazilian teams~as long as there is one like him in a team

he is not violent like , say,Ayala, or (Heavens forbid) Materazzi. His aspect make him look like the vilain which he is not

He really sweats his shirt, gives everything of himself, this is sometime to be appreciated, even in the NT of Italy

he also can hold to the ball which sometime help preserve a result (even if i am in principle against preserving a result sometime it is needed)

I even have in mind in which Brazilian teams he will fit in perfectly, but I will not menion names, no no. not me :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Hey, I'd LOVE to have Rino in Botafogo. :D He'd make a brilliant partnership with Tulio on our midfield.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
al-3arbi said:
They play as wide midfielders and have plenty of defensive work to do. Many teams in the premiership play a 4-4-2 with 2 central mids and 2 wide mids, often converted wingers like Ljungberg, Pires, Giggs, CRonaldo, Duff etc.
Yes ... on paper we play as a 4-4-2 and start each half in a 4-4-2 formation but if you've ever watched us over a long period you'd see that Pires and Ljungberg play nowhere near the wing and play as deep laying strikers who run into the box. They may do defensive work but that's because they have to. Arsenal don't play with wingers or wide midfielders, our 'wide midfielders' are Ashley Cole and Lauren.

It's why we concede so many without Gilberto :D

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Gattuso is very much underrated but Milan fans know his value to the team. What he lacks in technique & skills (though to be honest, his passing & first touch have greatly improved over the past 2 years), he makes up for it with his commitment, heart & workrate. Gattuso is the only ballwinner in Milan's diamond midfield formation with Pirlo, Seedorf and Kaka, which makes him even more important to the side.

He has often been unfairly labelled as being thug, but he's only collected 3 yellow cards in 21 league games this season. Rino plays hard but fair. There were also criticisms about his lack of goals and assists, but his main role for the team is to make tackles and win balls in midfield. Any assist or goal is an added bonus :shades:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts