Xtratime Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rangers' Spanish striker Nacho Novo admits he would consider switching his international allegiance to Scotland.

The Gers star qualifies for British citizenship after spending eight years on these shores, taking in spells at Raith Rovers and Dundee prior to a move to Ibrox.

Should the government grant him dual nationality the 29-year-old would then be eligible to play for any of the home nations.

With that in mind, and having been unable to force his way into the Spain side over the years, Novo has revealed that he would seriously consider an approach from the Scottish Football Association, should they require his services.

He is not the first Spaniard to be linked with an international change of heart, though, with Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and Everton playmaker Mikel Arteta believed to be interesting England.
Settled

"If the SFA want to speak to me about it then of course I would be very interested in playing for Scotland," he told the Daily Record.

"After all my time here I feel as if this is my home now.

"I know all about Almunia's situation with England and I read somewhere that my old Rangers team-mate Mikel Arteta is also supposed to be interesting (Fabio) Capello, so it's not as if this kind of thing does not happen elsewhere.

"People have told me before that I could qualify for Scotland but no-one from the SFA has spoken to me about it so it's not something I've had to seriously consider.

"Maybe a few years ago it would have seemed a little strange but now, after eight years in Scotland, I feel as if I am part of the country.

"My kids are Scottish and everyone here has treated me so well throughout my time here that I consider myself to be at home here.

"So if someone from the SFA was to ask me about the possibility of playing for Scotland then I would probably say yes."

Meanwhile, the SFA have refused to rule out the possibility of Novo representing the country in the future.

"While our priority will always be to invest in home grown talent, if the manager wants to pick a player who is eligible and who he thinks will do a job for Scotland then he should always be allowed to do so," said an SFA spokesman.

"In the case of Nacho Novo, at present he does not hold a British passport and is therefore not eligible to play for any of the home nations.

"If that situation were to change then he would be considered like any other player."

·
Registered
297 Posts
I certainly hope he does not play, these type of things are ruining international football where countries are becoming more and more like clubs.
And the reason he doesn't get called up to the Spanish national team is because they probably don't actually know who he is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts