Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be on a cruise that is visiting the Champions of Europe, and while in greece, I will bw visitimng the above places.

Can anyone suggest some places to see in these places.

Also, any chance of seeing some Greek soccer, I would bet not, I ll be there in Early August.

Look forward to going to greece, it has been a dream of mine because I love ancient histrory, and if you love ancient history you must love greece.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Well, it really depends on the type of person you are and what you like. I mean do you like relaxing on the beach with a frappe or going crazy with the party scene (and boy does Greece have that)

You can't go wrong with Santorini.... once you see the view you will know what I mean. ;) It is outstanding.

Mykonos.... is a very different place. lol I went there once, would never really go again (not my style) but the beaches are beautiful.

The islands there is not a whole lot to see, just sun, fun and relaxation, or partying. You just can't go wrong there.

In Athens, ofcourse the Acropolis, Plaka, Syntagma Square, the usual places.... (and they are a must)

If you have time though, you may want to go to Lykavittos, it's the mountain in Athens that stands out. A very nice restaurant there, an amazing view of Athens. Since you will probably be going to the Acropolis during the day, why not go to Lykavittos at night. Some amazing night shots of the Acropolis (they light it up), and the rest of Athens there. Good food, great atmosphere, I really recomend it.

The view:

And ofcourse, a stunning aerial shot you get of the Acropolis:

^ that is Lykavittos in the backround. ;) And ofcourse Athens has it's night clubs, and party spots. (big time)

It all depends on what you like. I know cruises have tours, you may choose to do that. If not, use the Metro to get around in Athens, the best way to do it by yourself. New, clean, fast... it's truly world class.

Some other choices are the Olympic Stadium(s).

You can see the old one, which hosted the first modern games (1896) "Kalimarmaro"

Or the new one which hosted the Athens 2004 games:

Overall, enjoy your trip. :) Have fun, relax, and really soak up the history. This is the place of thousands of years of civilization, of history. You will be stepping on the same paths of some of the greatest men ever. It really is amazing.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Souvlaki :thmbup:

Btw if you like the historical sites, I suggest you take a one-day bus tour of the Pelepponessus while you are in Athens (if you have time). These are organized by the agencies, you visit Corinth, the theater at Epidaurus (amazing), Mycanae, Nafplion, etc. There are also one-day boat cruises to the smaller islands around Athens (Aegina, Hydra, and so on), some of which are very picturesque with medieval forts and so on.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Santorini - Go to Oia to see the sunset, and go to Fira (thyra) if you wanna go clubbing! (Enigma & Koo are nice) :cool: Have fun

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Proper souvlaki is not made from lamb and it has neither onion or tomato on it.
What you have to understand AMO is that what we call souvlaki here in Melbourne, is commonly known as Gyros. :lazy:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Gyros is not made out of lamb either. Pork, people, pork!

Khimik, the only reason they make it out of lamb in London is to attrack also Muslim customers.

Gyros and Souvlaki are made from pork (and well, also from chicken, but that isn't proper either). Kebabs are made from lamb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts