Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I could have rounded this up, but couldn't be ****ed!

#147.

[tub]A36I4L31Hzc[/tub]

Brand New - 'Jesus Christ'

These dudes are normally a good bit heavier than this, but there's certainly something to be said for them slowing it down here. Lovely little tune, I think the little wavering guitar bits on the bridge make it, but that's probably just me!

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#146.

[tub]u8dGTfT-RGM[/tub]

Blackalicious - 'Sky is falling'

I'm a total sucker for tasteful strings in hip hop. I'm even more of a sucker for bleeps and blops in anything. Add those two to some clever rhyming, a pretty banging chorus and the understanding they had that there's no point making this last any longer than they needed to and that'd be me suckered.

·
Second Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
10,622 Posts
:lazy: #1 had better not be Rachel Stevens.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#145.

[tub]UeXCTN7NZFs[/tub]

Be Your Own Pet- 'October, first account'

This band was a ****load of fun. I do think they let themselves down a bit by initially pushing 'Adventure' rather than this to try and encapsulate just how fun they are, not that that's not a good song too, it's just there's an awful lot of fun to be had in this tune! Catchy to the hilt.

·
10,622 Posts

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#144.

[tub]2gtfjW7NCD8[/tub]

Vitalic - 'The past'

You could accuse this of being a Daft Punk rip-off, and you'd be totally right to do so. Still, if you're gonna rip something off, you might as well plagiarise something good, right? Cool use of DP's style, fused with a bit of Italo disco and turned into something really melancholy.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#143.

[tub]PTdeiy2I6Ow[/tub]

Nightbreed - 'Pack of wolves (Pendulum remix)'

I like Pendulum remixing other people quite a bit more than their own tunes. That way they can manage to use the harder aspects of their game without the whole track being bounce bounce BOUNCE bounce all the time. This is a pretty prime example, the bits they stick in make it work and the bits that were already there stop them from being shit. A happy marriage.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
#142.

[tub]IBqTUmyAZcw[/tub]

Orphaned Land - 'Birth of the three (the unification)'

There isn't much less appealing to me on paper than an Israeli metal band doing concept songs about the bible. I have no idea how this is as much fun as it is, but the fancy guitar playing, chanting and the guy just sounding so damn enthusiastic about it all gives it an undeniable charm.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
#141.

[tub]iRRTOnXOZsM[/tub]

Boards Of Canada - '1969'

Decent example of BOC's uniquely braindancy sound. I've never really felt comfortable slapping them under the IDM banner because their stuff is a tad too ambient, really. Still, this is a nice sound to have washing over you.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#140.

[tub]OElXEX-l9Jc[/tub]

M83 - 'Don't save us from the flames'

Tough to know what to expect when a French electro dude gives what's basically his take on shoegaze, but I think this is a pretty fantastic result. It has that ghostly shoegaze air to it and then when it takes off it has a quite post rock crescendo type quality to it. Good shit.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
#139.

[tub]6qalGezr76o[/tub]

Akira Yamaoka - 'Promise'

The computer games industry was massive enough this decade to be able to afford to get good musicians to give up whatever they were doing and basically become video game composers. Akira Yamaoka is one such man and his whole soundtrack to Silent Hill 2 is one of the creepiest things ever. I think this track might work better in the context of that, as it's basically an oasis of comparitive elation after the rest of the record basically scaring the shit out of you. That solo is pretty badass, anyway.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
#138.

[tub]M8ybWaIvmaM[/tub]

Thom Yorke - 'Harrowdown Hill'

Probably the best song making accusations of political assassinations this decade. Pretty heavy lyrically and in sound for a single, it's just lucky that he managed to get a somewhat catchy chorus out of it so he could sell a few copies. The good part about him working alone is there's noone to tell him to cheer up, so when he nails something, it sounds like this.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
#137.

[tub]Wq3-98XJCfw[/tub]

Islands - 'Swans (Life after death)'

I thought this album ****ing sucked apart from this song. Half of it was ****ing sea shanties. Then for some reason they decide to do a really long Arcade Fire song with a top little rock out at the end. And even though I maintain this band are terrible, there's some truth to the every dog has it's day thing, though that probably won't ever apply to Scouting For Girls.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
#136.

[tub]ZyidcRn3BVk[/tub]

Calexico - 'Black heart'

Another track that wears it's influences pretty solidly on it's sleeve. There's no prizes for figuring out this sounds an awful lot like Dummy era Portishead. Dummy era Portishead were ****ing great and this wouldn't sound too out of place on that album if you stuck Beth Orton's vocals on it. Which is pretty high praise, I reckon.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
#135.

[tub]ijPE7fe4XTg[/tub]

Deltron 3030 - 'Virus'

Geekiest song on the list. It's pretty tough to sound cool when rapping about crashing computers and shit but Del manages it. It helps that Dan the Automator's beat is pretty insane, kind of clangs together then dissipates, that guy is a genius.

·
10,622 Posts
1 - 20 of 230 Posts