Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night Pirlo didnt have the best of games. For a player of such great footballing intelligence, creativity and sublime technique to match he looked clueless at times, quite ordinary by his high standards. I know you're thinking this is going to be yet another knee-jerk reaction thread but rest assured it isnt, let me continue....

Fabregas on the other hand played a monster of a game. He was all over the pitch, tackling and creating, being in the position to shoot on goal. Pirlo wasnt, and usually isnt. That's fine to a certain extent because as a regista in a deep role he's an essential part of our side that makes the team tick.

Now I've said before on these forums that I like the Pirlo of the Azzurri, who's a bit of a different species to the one we usually see for Milan. For Italy he's more vertical, he moves around the field more. That's due to tactics, as for Italy he can do this whereas for Milan it isnt required of him. It's been asked before, but the question is: is Pirlo being wasted as a regista?

It's not that Pirlo is bad in this position. In my opinion he is the best deep lying playmaker in the world, no question. However after last night's game some of the Arsenal fans were saying how it's easy to stop Pirlo (or something along those lines). Did Wenger see this too? Looking at it from one angle, you have this wonderfully creative and technically gifted player just sat in front of our back 4 and his easiest forward passes are to 2 defensive midfield players with limited creativity and technique. In 2002 Ancelotti's decision to use Pirlo as a regista was a stroke of genius. Nowadays Milan are often criticised as predictable and Pirlo sometimes seems shackled in his role. Has the regista role and our system become stale and predictable too? There's occasions this season when we've seen Andrea playing more of a left-sided position. On those occasions he looked deadly, using his ability to play decent crosses into the box (which suits players like Pippo and Gila). Unfortunately such occasions are rare.

I think it's time for Pirlo to be given more freedom, for Milan to use a different system. People are talking of an end of an era, time for change. Besides different players (who could also influence our tactics/formation next season) we could be seeing a different coach (I wonder how Mourinho would us Pirlo...).

This summer in Euro 2008 we'll see Luka Modric playing for Croatia. Every time I've seen him play he reminds me so much of Pirlo, apart from the fact that Modric influences the play all over the pitch with elegance and intelligence. Hopefully in June we'll see the same from Pirlo for Italy, but more so I would like to see it next season for Milan.

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
Pirlo was/is tired, returning from injury. He plays the seame or similar role in the Azzuri, but he gets more cover and protection.

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the Azzurri he definitely gets further forward, but yes he also builds play from deep as he does for Milan. The main point is that we see other midfield players all over the field influencing the play and I would like to see the same from him.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
For the Azzurri he definitely gets further forward, but yes he also builds play from deep as he does for Milan. The main point is that we see other midfield players all over the field influencing the play and I would like to see the same from him.
Pirlo is not that physical to play like that.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Pirlo's tiredness, accumulated for the last 3 years caught up to him.
Also, he has shown before lapses in which he totally loses concentration and that happened yesterday as well.
He needs to be rested and physioed, just like Kaka, and if, if we clinch the 4th spot, he should undergo whatever treatment is necessary and leave him on the sidelines until he gets fit again.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
perhaps because your midfield is so crowded a lot of the time, if you are going to play so many players central then there needs to be constant movement making space for eachother.

it all seems too tight, Pirlo plays some nice passes down the wings but forward he just ends up going over the top too much.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Pirlo used to get further forward for us. I agree he has sat farther back this year. His long range shot would have been nice to have as another option and maybe forcing the defense to come out and engage him.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
He's got way better vision than KAKA!

Gattusso and another DM

behind PIRLO (your true 10) and make Kaka a SS and rotate him with PATO.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Give him a break, he's playing in an extremely demanding position.

Right now he does look tired, both physically and mentally. If anything he could do with this summer off but that just isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
He is not physical enough to be a roving midfielder. The position he is in at present suits him best. He was poor last night though. Couldn't believe some of the slack passing he was making in front of his own penalty area.

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pirlo is not that physical to play like that.
He is not physical enough to be a roving midfielder. The position he is in at present suits him best. He was poor last night though. Couldn't believe some of the slack passing he was making in front of his own penalty area.
I used Modric as an example, because he's very much like Pirlo in terms of build/physique. Many free-roaming creative midfielders cover a lot of the pitch. They dont have to be built like a Gattuso or a Davids. I dont buy the idea that Pirlo isnt physical enough. It's weak. A player of his intelligence know when to run and when not to. He doesnt have to be a maniac box-to-box midfielder, just pick moments when moving into advanced positions would benefit the team's play.

I agree he has sat farther back this year. His long range shot would have been nice to have as another option and maybe forcing the defense to come out and engage him.
Exactly. There's areas of his game which we should be seeing more of.

For the record, I'm not trying to slate Pirlo with this thread. If anything it's Ancelotti who should consider giving Pirlo more freedom and re-organising the way our midfield operates. It's nothing new that people have criticised Milan for being predictable.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
My idea was that he shouldn't cover that much space, because he will get tired AND that will afect his passings ... AND he isn't like Gattuso who can (could) sprint all the lenght of the pitch in the 120 minute.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Exactly. There's areas of his game which we should be seeing more of.

For the record, I'm not trying to slate Pirlo with this thread. If anything it's Ancelotti who should consider giving Pirlo more freedom and re-organising the way our midfield operates. It's nothing new that people have criticised Milan for being predictable.

This team is incredibly predictable. I'm not sure if that is tactics or the type of player or both. Do we not use wingers because of tactics or because we never have them?

When on song, the team is really brilliant but we do seem only play one way. Lots of long balls and meaningless possession. The shining moments were against Napoli when because of who was playing we were able to link play better and create more movement up front. Pato needs players to play with, not simply be running after lobs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As I mentioned earlier in the first game thread Pirlo clearly was affected by the pressure Hleb was putting on him. The trend continued into the 2nd game. Physically I don't think he can handle Hleb. He needed to get away from him but if he moves forward there is also Flamini. Overall we just ran into a midfield who knows how to dominate over our own. At the moment I think he is fine in his current role on both teams.

·
Registered
13,975 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see him on other roles more often. Not always, but now and then. I was an advocate of him in Seedorf's old role (leftish), but people called me lunatic. I still would like to see it.

Against Arsenal, it was not about that though. At least not completely. As Nemesis here says, the pressure by Hleb was tremendous and he couldn't handle it at all. And without anyone else in midfield that could create something (that is why Seedorf out hurt so much) we were screwed for big parts of the game.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
From what I've seen, it's because of pressing game tactic we applied. We actualy used the same tactic against Juve two years ago where all of our players acted as 'giant zone defense'. Everytimes any of your players get hold of the ball, any of our players nearby will try to clear it no matter what position he plays. As deep-lying central midfielder, Pirlo is the best ball-distributor you have in that match, so no wonder if he got marked the most.

If we let Pirlo or Kaka free, we would definitely end up like Boca Juniors.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There seem to be a huge misunderstanding here. You seem to think that Pirlo has emotions for Milan. This is wrong, you are forgetting it´s 2008 - Euro Championships is in the summer and Pirlo doesn´t give jack shit about Milan compared to Italy's National Team. He simply wanted out of CL so he can focus only on the Euro Championships.

I felt I needed to tell it to you like it is. Ever since you were eliminated on tuesday there seem to have been a mass psychosis amongst Milan fans. Wake up. You aren´t in the center of attention. Not at all. Far from it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sir Hasanly, maybe some or many Milan fans think that of me. But I´m only bringing you 100% truth, you should appreciate all knowledge I´m bringing you. People would take money for it, while I´m bringing all the sweet stuff for free, baby. But some people can´t or don´t want to handle the truth.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I think it's the fact you have such a narrow midfield.
I don't see how you can operate three defensive midfielders at all.

Without using wingers it limits the options of where Pirlo can pass the ball. The few times he did go forward in the Arsenal game it was 30 yard passes straight down the centre over the Arsenal defence and into their goalkeepers hands.

Lets take a look when Flamini had the ball for Arsenal, played the same 30 yard pass but to a diagonal, and he had Walcott in space, and that created a goal.

There's a reason Gilardino isn't scoring goals, because he isn't getting the correct service.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts