Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Rod, clearly trolling is his game, mainly with Masche as CB 😁.
Yet I like his idea, there are tons of great teams that can be assembled with a mix of not the usual suspects from the upper echelon, or those like Scirea from that echelon but sadly sometimes kind of forgoten that are capable of beating the usual suspects.

.......Sivori............Romario..........
........M. Laudrup..........................
......................Zico........................
...........Kante........Busquets..........
Lahm.....Scirea....Perfumo...Alves
................Schmeichel.....................

There are tons of teams that can give any Pele and cia a run for their money...yet of course I will allways choose a team with at the very least Diego, Lio, R9 and Edson in it just for the sake of it. And actually is a very feasible and tactical sound team with them in it.
Today City played with Graelish, Marhez, Halland and KDB.

·
Registered
49,179 Posts
😮 I thought I was seeing things and did a double-take at the dates... Everyone must know that @Dagoods aka Milk is back! 🙌

• Helpful
Reactions: Dagoods

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,559 Posts
My dear FUFI, I am so glad to hear from you!

·
Registered
49,179 Posts
Roberto Carlos, Maradona out. also I would never play with a 3 back.
Welcome to the future, buddy.

I think the questionable thing is whether it should be a 3-4-1-2...these are always polarizing (I say that even though it's my favourite fantasy formation). 3-5-2 is much easier to digest.

But let's be fair...you can definitely work a 3-4-1-2 in fantasy football while it will be difficult/rare in real life. With Rijkaard and Matthaus in the middle, you already have a huge step up. For the back 3, Maldini and Thuram are fine. Perhaps Becks should be swapped out for Nesta if you want to convince everyone about defensive solidity. With a back 3, I think the wingbacks need to have more of a defensive capability. In other words, Zanetti on the right.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,559 Posts
TBH I sort of like Dagoods lineup. And the 3-man defense also makes sense even if I can't remember whether Cafu and Roberto Carlos have ever played in one.

In the 2002 World Cup, Brazil won all of their 7 games, and are the only  team to achieve this in the same finals. They didn't even need extra time.  What a

How Ronaldo led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup victory | Germany 0-2 Brazil |  Scolari's 3-4-2-1 system - YouTube

I like this formation, it enables the likes of Pele and Maradona to wreak havoc!!!

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,559 Posts
@Lasha Kokaia

Font Circle Technology Parallel Science

Why would this work?
Write this down you inferior being:

Random Peon: Hey Dagoods, why would you line-up MALDINI, as a CB when he was the greatest full-back of all-time?

Dagoods: You need to open your eyes and ears and take control of the limited ability you have to understand the words Dagoods is about to say.

This line-up works because of the following factors:

A) Buffon over Yashin?

Are you aware that LATIN AMERICANS were not eligible for the Ballon d' Or trophy back in those days? A certain O Rei Pele would have won the award in 63. In the 1963 Season, Santos, led by O Rei, won the Libertadores, The Intercontinental Cup (by defeating AC Milan), The Brazilian Serie A, and The Rio-Sao Paulo Tournament, respectively. O Rei managed to score 51 goals in 36 games. Furthermore, this team does not need a sweeper-keeper; instead, this team requires a natural born shot-stopper and nobody tops GIGI BUFFON in one-on-one situations. Buffon's positioning is flawless and he is good on the ball. He gets the nod over the great Lev Yashin;

B) The Back-Four. I could have easily opted for a more "traditional" back-four such as:

RB - Carlos Alberto
Lib - Beckenbauer (C)
Lib - Baresi
LB - Maldini

This is nice and dandy for PES and FIFA purposes, but in the real world this would not be an ideal back-four. First and foremost, you need some balance. You cannot have two Liberos/Sweepers. I understand that they would not play as Liberos (My CB pairing would refrain from joining the attack at will) and they would most likely operate as two ball-playing CBs. However, Franz and Franco are a tad too similar for my liking. I think this line-up would struggle against "Speedy Africans" and Athletic Strikers who possess great heading ability. @Lasha Kokaia, you included a stopper in the form of Santamaria to play alongside Beckenbauer and I applaud you for that. You could have gone with either Desailly or Cannavaro as well, both are better options than Santamaria in my humble opinion.

So why did I choose Maldini then? Because in his prime, PAOLO MALDINI is quite possibly the greatest DEFENDER the world has ever seen.

Maldini in his prime was capable of playing as a stopper/man-marker. However, unlike most stoppers, Maldini was not a limited footballer (e.g. Puyol, Chiellini, etc.). Maldini was strong, physical, fast, good on the ball, good in the air, possessed great tactical sense and positioning, and could start an attack. Remember, this is the same MALDINI who shut down Romario and Stoichkov in the 94 UCL Final. Both Baresi and Costacurta missed the final and MALDINI played as a CB alongside Galli (some bloody scrub). A few months alter, MALDINI, once again, shut down prime Romario and Bebeto in the WC Final. Maldini played as a CB in the final, pairing up with BARESI who was not 100% fit. MALDINI in his prime is a mixture of a stopper/man-marker and a ball-playing CB. In other words, he is better suited to play as a CB in today's game. He played many a times alongside Baresi and or Costacurta and excelled as a CB. He also paired with Alessandro Nesta (ball-playing CB) and both complimented each other's ability, superbly. Therefore, I see this CB duo completing each other perfectly, in the center of my defence.

The fullbacks. Some may argue that both of my fullbacks were not great defenders. And that is true to some extent, they may have not been the very best but more than formidable. Again, I'm trying to put together a team that would be able to compete in today's game. Maldini, as a LB, was a two-way player who was capable of marauding up and down the left flank at will. However, as good as he was offensively, his offensive game pales in comparison when compared to what Roberto Carlos brings to the table offensively. Football has changed. Modern full-backs have to provide their team's width in attack, and historically nobody produces better fullbacks than Brazil. But why do I need offensive-fullbacks if I'm playing Maradona and Messi on the flanks?

Remember, MARADONA will be playing as a LAM/LW/MEDIA PUNTA. Maradona and Messi are not your typical wingers, but they possess the dribbling ability to drop players on the floor for fun. Both he and Messi were/are capable of playing on the flanks (I'll explain this further when discussing my offensive strategy). Thus, I need a player who is capable to link with Maradona on the left-flank. If you were around during the Galacticos era, you witnessed how RC and Zidane fed off each other. The Brazilian enabled the French Maestro to cut diagonally into the middle and so forth. Here, Maradona will not be required to move into the middle on every possession. Clearly, Maradona was more explosive and a far better attacker than Zidane. Also, let's not forget that Pele will be in the middle, as our CAM. Having RC join the attack, enables Maradona to play closer to the left edge of the box; thus, it frees him from solely remaining on the flank. Marcelo and Cristiano Ronaldo formed quite a duo on the left-flank, they both dominated that section of the pitch. Yes, I am fully aware that CR7 was more of a scorer than Maradona and what not, but again, I will cover this when discussing my offensive strategy.

Similarly, Cafu will have the responsibility of linking-up with Messi on the right flank. Messi is no stranger to this, he formed a superb partnership with one Dani Alves and both did some extraordinary things on the right-flank during their time together at Barcelona. Having Cafu join the attack, enables Messi to play closer to the left edge of the box; thus, it frees him from solely remaining on the flank. I think we all have a pretty good idea of how he would link with Cafu. In Messi's case, as soon as he has the ball a this feet, the opposition will focus on his next move. Messi, like has done his entire career, will wait for the overlapping fullback to make his run. Thus, Messi will wait for Cafu to surge forward, taking a marker with him and leaving more room to be exploited. Messi will then take advantage, breaking into the vacant space before scoring a beauty or assisting a teammate.

The Captain, Franz Beckenbauer. I could have easily opted for Franco Baresi, but Der Kaiser's ability to dictate play from the back gives him the nod. In today's football, pressing is the law of the land. Pressing, requires the forward line to rapidly close down opposition defenders in order to force a mistake when an attempt is made to play the ball out from the back. Overall, Beckenbauer was a great defender blessed with incredible game vision and flawless technique. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I want Der Kaiser to constantly join the attack or go in the box like a striker. Instead, this team will rely on his good skills on the ball and being able to pass quickly and accurately while under pressure.

• Helpful
Reactions: Firdaus

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,559 Posts
C. A Double Pivot is a Must!

As much as I love DMs in the mold of Fernando Redondo, this team needs workhorses who will fight and do whatever it takes to win the midfield battle. Football, is all about BALANCE. A healthy defensive balance will promote the freedom of movement of my attacking players. I cannot think of a better partnership than RIJKAARD and MATTHAUS! Lothar Matthaus was the complete midfielder, Mr. Versatility himself! Matthaus is well known for his great leadership and unmatched tenacity. He will give my midfield some bloody BITE! His running mate, Frank Rijkaard, was an imposing physical specimen. Rijkaard was a strong tackler, a bloody dominant force in midfield. He will add STEEL to my midfield. Both legends were more than just your average destroyers. On the contrary, these two were blessed with skill and determination; and they combined great vision, and intelligence, with an incredible work rate and overwhelming sheer physicality. Rijkaard and Matthaus compliment each other very well, they will be the glue responsible for holding this team together. Just to be clear, Matthaus will not be deployed as a box-to-box midfielder; instead, his role will be one of a defensive midfielder. As most of you know, Matthaus began his career as a defensive midfielder. Here, he will be asked to work together, alongside Rijkaard, to cover the midfield and to protect the defence in a deep block.

• Haha
Reactions: Firdaus

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,559 Posts
D. O Rei del futbol, the Number 10.

The greatest of all-time, it's that simple! Which version of Pele suits this team better? As much as I love the brilliant and explosive teenager 1958-1962 version of Pele, I would rather have the 29 year-old, mature genius version of Pele on my team. At Mexico 70, Pele reached his peak as a footballer. Perhaps, he was no longer as explosive, but this version of Pele became the embodiment of the mantra for complete footballer. But why Pele and not Di Stefano, V. Mazzola, or Gullit? Well, that's easy to answer: Pele's talent is unparalleled. O Rei could play in midfield, in attack, he fast and strong, he scored goals, created goals, was a feared penalty and set piece taker, excellent dribbler and passer, possessed great leaping and heading ability and could finish with either foot, and last but not least he could mark and win back possession.

Here's a video showcasing Pele's commitment to playing defense.

A # 10 is a position that links the midfield with the forwards. Therefore, Pele, as my attacking midfielder will be responsible for creating goalscoring opportunities for the other attackers. Please see the next two videos below.

The Rijkaard-Matthaus double-pivot, behind Pele forms a well balanced and formidable midfield trio. As displayed in the video above, Pele could be found back in his own half, helping out the defense. Further, the Rijkaard-Matthaus double-pivot, enables Pele to surge forward (see his solo run against Uruguay below) and join the attack; therefore, it allows more freedom for the attacking players.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,559 Posts
E. El Pelusa, el genio del futbol Mundial.

As great as the 1986 version of Maradona was, nothing comes close to the raw talent he displayed during his Boca years. This Maradona had the ability to drop defenders left and right and cause complete carnage.

As you can see, he was explosive and played all over the pitch. During this time, Maradona was more of a scorer and mostly played on the right flank but would to the middle or switched flanks at will. Here, he would not be required to score goals. My teams needs him to create chaos! Maradona's vision, dribbling and passing skills were simply sublime. This is why I placed him on the left flank as a LAM/LW/OUTSIDE FW because I want him to draw defenders, create space for the other attacking players. Unlike Cristiano Ronaldo, Maradona is an actual skillful footballer who does not need someone like Marcelo to bail him out. Maradona was so talented that he could play on either wing/flank, score goals and create scoring chances for others. I want him to combine with Pele and Roberto Carlos; and link-up play in the attacking third. I will leave it up to him on whether he chooses to remain on the flank or cut inside to either score a beauty or set up/feed O KRAKEN (Il Fenomeno)!!!

F. La Pulga atomica!

The Tiki Taka version of Messi was out of this world impressive. His scoring feats, as a false 9, simply astonishing. Although short-lived, the MSN left its mark on football history. All great versions indeed, but I'm going to have to go with the long-haired version of Messi. Garrincha is, undoubtedly, the greatest RW of all-time and I concur with that statement. In a 4-4-2/4-2-4 formation, Garrincha's ability sets him apart from the rest. However, as an outside forward (a winger in a 4-3-3 formation) Messi is the undisputed king. La Pulga's innate dribbling ability rivals Maradona's exhilarating ability to dribble past opponents and turn games on its head. Here, Messi will be utilized as a RAM/RW/OUTSIDE FW. His main goal is to cause mayhem, bloody carnage on the football pitch. Alike, Maradona, Messi can clearly play on either wing/flank, score goals ( a lot more goals) and create scoring chances for others. Even though Messi is much more of a scorer than Maradona, I still want him to draw defenders, create space for the other attacking players. Just like Maradona will do on his side of the pitch, I want him to combine with Pele and Cafu; and link-up play in the attacking third. I will leave it up to him on whether he chooses to remain on the flank or cut inside to either score a beauty or set up/feed O KRAKEN (Il Fenomeno)!!!

He should have stuck with # 19 because that number truly defines him as a player. He can score and assist at will. Here's a great video of a young Messi toying with defenders and creating scoring opportunities for others.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts