Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I'd post a link for this but I'm not sure if the Rangers official site is open to everyone without registering. For that reason I've decided to post this article which is worth discussing. The full interview is only available in the Rangers news and we'll probably get that in full once the papers get a hold of it.

Murray Opens His Heart On Bigotry

RANGERS chairman David Murray has written an astonishignly frank article for Rangers News on his bid to banish bigotry from Ibrox and has slammed the makers of Panorma's documentary on sectarianism.

Murray was deeply disappointed with Panorama, who were supposed to make a film about sectarianism in Scotland but instead totally focused on the Old Firm and largely blamed them for the social ills of this country.

He has gone into great detail, explaining all of the positive things Rangers FC has done in the bid to rid Ibrox of the bigots and educate the next generation and articulated his regret that Panorama chose to ignore most of the good work being done.

However, Murray has gone further. Today he has issued two 10-point plans - one internal and one external - which he hopes all good Rangers fans will follow as Rangers attempt to stamp out sectarianism.

In a powerful statement he said: "We have a proud history and heritage but this is not what gets us in trouble. It is the baggage of foul signing and sectarian references during and at the end of traditional Rangers songs which causes me and everyone at this club a problem."

"We can't defend it and we must get rid of it.There is simply no place in Ibrox for the FTP brigade and those who would have use wading through Fenian blood."

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marco Negri said:
Murray gets a lot of stick but I don't think he's put a foot wrong this season to be honest.
I think he's redeemed himself alot this season. Firstly with the share issue and secondly with Bazza's return. I'm alot happier with him now than I was last season.

Really hope this statement and whatever comes out of Celtic Park can be the start of a backlash against bigotry.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
It won't change a thing, the reason why a lot of the supporters attach themselves to Rangers in the first place is because it gives them a platform to air their hatred against the Roman Catholic society in this country.

If the next Old Firm match bypasses without any reference to fenians or being up to your knees in fenian blood then i might start to believe that your club are making progress on the sectarian front.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You think it's that simple? How is a club supposed to change, when people refuse to accept they can? And you think it can change overnight like that?

You think the wee kids who go to the game aged 5 and become fans go to hate Catholics? Of course not, it’s something that the kids grow into. They go to the games, hear the signing and follow suit, without knowing what is being sung at that time. Soon enough, they hate Catholics because of the football team they support, not because of their morals or beliefs. How many 18 year olds do you think decide to support Rangers because they hate Catholics? That's not the problem.

Getting rid of Sectarianism is a long term thing. No easy solution and no short term fix. There are things they can do now though.

For start chuck out whoever starts the singing, not everyone who sings right now, as that will only cause a riot. Increase security ten fold and make sure everyone knows what will happen. Release news stories, articles in the programmes, banners at the stadiums, announcements and make it known to EVERYONE what will happen if Sectarian songs are sung. This will at least make people aware we are trying to change the situation and make sure fans know that we won't tolerate it.

Sectarianism will be a part of Rangers and Celtic for years to come, but we can at least follow suit with Celtic and make sure that it is NOT sung at our own stadium, where we can do something to stop it. Obviously I am no expert here, but what would be so hard about that?

Racism campaigns in England have worked great by doing exactly that and it was a far worse and widespread problem there, then what we have here. It can change, but time, faith and acceptance from other people that we can change are part of helping that.

That’s my two cents on it anyway.

I hope Murray is serious about this, as we have heard similar from him in the past and nothing has changed.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Like yourselves my opinion of Murray has improved quite a bit this season, long may it continue.

btw Chivo how do you copy and paste from the Rangers site? I can never highlight the text!

King_Henrik said:
It won't change a thing, the reason why a lot of the supporters attach themselves to Rangers in the first place is because it gives them a platform to air their hatred against the Roman Catholic society in this country.

If i was to say the only reason a lot of supporters attach themselves to Celtic in the first place is because it gives them a platform to air their hatred of the country they live in and their support of terrorists......blah blah...then i'd be just as wrong as you are.

Most Old Firm fans support their team for football reasons. Period.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'm just guessing at the whole content of the article, but it sounds like this is the sort of thing that i've wanted Murra to come out with for a while. The club has to be far more proactive in spelling out to these numpties that they are not welcome at Ibrox. This seems like a very positive step, and should be very hard for our 'hardcore' supporters to ignore.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My hope is that the "FTP brigade", as Murray refers to them, will take the huff and claim they'll never return to Ibrox again. Plenty more bums on seats will replace that lot. Big task ahead but at least there is no "head buried in sand" mentality in this one and hopefully in the future this message will get itself over louder and clearer each time.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
If i was to say the only reason a lot of supporters attach themselves to Celtic in the first place is because it gives them a platform to air their hatred of the country they live in and their support of terrorists......blah blah...then i'd be just as wrong as you are.
Celtic fans don't sing any anti-Scottish anthems such as Rule Britannia or "rebellious Scots to crush" God Save the Queen - so i don't see where your 'hate the country they live in" spiel is coming from.

By the way, supporting an end to foreign occupation doesn't necessarily equate to being hateful of anything for your information.

Murray can't afford to alienate the many bigots among your support such is your club's poor financial position, infact if anything he's tried to appeal to them more than anything else with his release of the 'tangerine' (sic) away strip and many of the other merchandise that is on sale inside your official club shops.

If the next Old Firm derby passes without a reference to 'fenian blood' then i'm prepared to apologise for my above opinions. Is anyone willing to take a bet with me that's likely to happen though?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I wonder what Celtic fans will use to beat us with when bigoted songs are no longer sung at Ibrox?

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
I wonder what Celtic fans will use to beat us with when bigoted songs are no longer sung at Ibrox?
Who knows, it'll be long after my time anyway, if at all.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
That's the spirit :thmbup:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
King_Henrik said:

If the next Old Firm match bypasses without any reference to fenians or being up to your knees in fenian blood then i might start to believe that your club are making progress on the sectarian front.
Same old crap; celtic are 100% innocent, Rangers are 100% guilty, change the record KH :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:
Same old crap; celtic are 100% innocent, Rangers are 100% guilty, change the record KH :rolleyes:
Well it's more convenient for the 'neutrals' to continue to peddle the "different sides to the same coin" argument i suppose.

Unfortunately the truth dictates otherwise though.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
King_Henrik said:
Well it's more convenient for the 'neutrals' to continue to peddle the "different sides to the same coin" argument i suppose.

Unfortunately the truth dictates otherwise though.
Only if your definition of 'neutrals' is anyone doesn't share your view. By definition 'neutrals' would then be anyone who didn't support Celtic and in actual fact a percentage of people who do support Celtic. I would have replaced 'neutrals' with 'vast majority'.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Graham Spiers was on the sectarian ball this morning as you'd expect with an article in the Herald today. Mostly he has praised the Murray's stance which is probably not surprising given that he couldn't condemn it. Occassionally though he let his ongoing fued with Murray creep in with claims of I told you so and you weren't listening. The headline "At last, Murray proves he is not in denial over sectarianism" says it all. Time though to put all that to the past because that doesn't help us go forward.

In another article the two 10 point plans that Murray has put in place are listed so I've posted them below. Celtic's Peter Lawell said last night that his club have a 10 point plan too but didn't want to go public with it last night. It seems that both clubs have taken a 6 point plan proposed to them by 'Nil by Mouth' and developed it for their own club.

Murray summed it up perfectly yesterday when he said of the FTP Brigade- "Don't they even realise how many people they're idolising on the one hand and both insulting and perhaps hurting on the other?"

FOR THE FANS

• Stop using racist and sectarian language.
  • Don't do or display anything that could remotely be construed as racist, sectarian, fascist, para-military or offensive.
  • Wear only recognised strips and traditional team colours.
  • Carry only legitimate flags – ideally Saltires and Union Jacks.
  • Don't buy dubious items from street traders that then get linked with the club.
  • If you feel comfortable, challenge those around you who behave improperly.
  • Alternatively, tell stewards.
  • Or, anonymously or otherwise, call Laurence Macintyre or Alistair Anderson on 0141-580 8630 with this information.
  • If you are racist, sectarian or can't behave properly, stay at home so you may not damage the reputation of Rangers.
  • Read your Blue Guide and think of the club reputation.

FOR THE CLUB

• To make public-address announcements at every home game condemning racism and sectarianism.
  • To stipulate in season-ticket terms and conditions holders should not contribute to racist and sectarian behaviour.
  • To take disciplinary action against fans, players and staff whose racist or sectarian behaviour causes offence and brings the club into disrepute.
  • To remove all racist and sectarian graffiti from club property immediately.
  • To monitor retail to ensure nothing reasonably perceived as offensive reaches the public.
  • To work with other interested parties developing programmes that raise awareness of the damage racism and sectarianism can cause.
  • To issue statements on positive and negative incidents.
  • To utilise our Study Support Centre and Community Football Programmes to deliver positive messages to children.
  • To continue an equal-opportunities policy.
  • To support our Sectarian and Racism Monitoring Committee to ensure the club continues to be proactive.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
King_Henrik said:
Celtic fans don't sing any anti-Scottish anthems such as Rule Britannia or "rebellious Scots to crush" God Save the Queen - so i don't see where your 'hate the country they live in" spiel is coming from.

By the way, supporting an end to foreign occupation doesn't necessarily equate to being hateful of anything for your information.

Murray can't afford to alienate the many bigots among your support such is your club's poor financial position, infact if anything he's tried to appeal to them more than anything else with his release of the 'tangerine' (sic) away strip and many of the other merchandise that is on sale inside your official club shops.

If the next Old Firm derby passes without a reference to 'fenian blood' then i'm prepared to apologise for my above opinions. Is anyone willing to take a bet with me that's likely to happen though?

If that happens and is widely reported by credible media sources, I'll cycle to Belgium :D but to keep it even, if King Henrik starts to talk sense around here I'll do it on roller skates :dielaugh:

Either way I don't expect to have to dust off my passport any time soon. ;)

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
The Judge said:
If King Henrik starts to talk sense around here I'll do it on roller skates :dielaugh:

Either way I don't expect to have to dust off my passport any time soon. ;)
So what, in your opinion that i value so dear, was the 'non' sense in my post that you quoted?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
In another article the two 10 point plans that Murray has put in place are listed so I've posted them below. Celtic's Peter Lawell said last night that his club have a 10 point plan too but didn't want to go public with it last night. It seems that both clubs have taken a 6 point plan proposed to them by 'Nil by Mouth' and developed it for their own club.
Seems strange to me that Celtic would have a 10-point plan for something that doesn't exist according to some supporters :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts