Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-956780,00.html

SIR Bobby Robson has launched a stinging attack on the “muppets” whom he says are fuelling the Barclaycard Premiership’s managerial sack race — and suggested that Martin O’Neill has yet to prove his worth among the country’s elite. The Newcastle United manager did not name names, but his targets are the pundits predicting a P45 for Gérard Houllier, of Liverpool, and Claudio Ranieri, the Chelsea head coach.
A number of Anfield old boys have joined the debate over Houllier’s future as Liverpool have stumbled in recent weeks. But the French manager has a passionate advocate in Robson, who mauled the critics yesterday while Liverpool and Newcastle remain locked in a chase for a top-four finish and prepare to meet in the fourth round of the FA Cup. “These people who get paid to criticise are muppets,” Robson said. “They don’t know anything about the pressure of being a manager and how to create a successful team. That sort of criticism is destroying the game. There is all this debate as to who is next to go, who can we pressurise next?”

Robson, at 70 the most venerated manager in Europe, despairs of the way the culture of blame now permeates football. He cited the example of Tottenham Hotspur, who sacked Glenn Hoddle almost four months ago after a disappointing start to the season and have failed to find a long-term replacement while results have deteriorated further. “They will probably end up appointing someone from abroad who can’t speak English ,” he said.

“There is a reason why there are less sackings in the Premiership this season and that’s because, by and large, the best 20 managers are working in the Premiership. Martin O’Neill may come into the equation one day, but they are the best 20.”

Robson launched a staunch defence of Houllier, saying that injuries had undermined Liverpool’s campaign. “Gérard is going to get the sack one week and next week I suppose it will be Claudio Ranieri’s turn. Houllier has had players out and he hasn’t been able to pick his best team for many, many weeks.

“That isn’t the manager’s fault. He cannot use that excuse to escape some of the rubbish said about him. But look at the result he has got at Chelsea. Where are the critics now? A team’s strength only really comes out when they have their best XI out on the pitch and Liverpool have not had that. Look at us when we were without Kieron Dyer and Jonathan Woodgate. It affected us and it affects all teams.”

Robson, whose position at St James’ Park became the subject of debate after Newcastle’s poor start to the season, was particularly scathing about television pundits — despite being one himself in recent years. “Who are these people who have a go?” he said.

“I’ll tell you. They are paid a thousand pounds a time to turn up to have a go, and yet I turn on the television and they are failed managers or they have never managed at all. Muppets, that’s what they are. Anyone can do that job.

“I heard a bloke talking about me on the local radio the other day and he said I have got complacent! What does he know? He doesn’t see me getting up at 7am every morning. He doesn’t see me driving to work by eight and getting to the ground before nine every day to run this club.”

·
Registered
811 Posts
well said, i always have the highest respect for robson, but about houllier i think he really should go as he failed to fulfil his five-years plan......

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Then the EPL manageral list might look like this

Man U - Fegie
Arsenal - Bruce Rioch
Chelsea - Ruud Gullit
Liverpool - Roy Evans
Charlton - Churbisley
Fulham - Mickey Adams
Newcastle - Kenny Dalglish

Robson should thank those muppets who criticized Gullit and Dalglish...

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Armchair Critics they're all experts on how to run a side and coach them etc,That's why barely any of them have coached.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
on 2nd thought, Robson may be partially right. Those people who write in Newspapers, what do they know?

Better leave it to the people who pay Ged's wages to have their say. Those who pay money to attend matches, buy the merchandise, watch the match through pay TV.

And talking about people who work all day and get the sack. What does he know?

Many people around the developed world get up at 6am everyday and go to work at 7, start work at 8 and work till past seven. If they are out of a job, they have trouble paying for the mortgage, rising kids, health costs etc. And they have a far greater chance of being sacked then Houllier or Rijkaard

This is real pressure

Yes, getting dismissed from the job for EPL coaches is a big disappointment, but they have substantial savings and tehy can easily live comfortably by doing something else like TV. They are not paid nice wages not to take pressure, the wages they are paid is compensation for the pressure of job. If Robson feels he is not up to it. He should go and manage a lesser club instead. Plus if players are dropped from the team after 2 bad matches what about the manager who failed to match expectations for the past 2 seasons at least?

While Robson has the right to feel disappoined about those 'critics', I do not think he is right to say we do not understand pressure. Maybe to those ex players in nice suits yes, but not to the fans who sacrifice time and money to watch the same.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
**** off Razor, I have no respect for someone who supports Houllier not the Club.And wants whats best for Houllier, not the club.You have to post articles because you have no real opinion.Which fits in with your philosiphy of i support the manager and his decisions, No matter who that manager is or what he does/does not do.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Robson has a point as these days managers are under pressure from the first match of the season. But with regard to Houllier, all the paper talk is understandable after being so long in charge he hasnt really taken the team forward and I doubt none of the fans would want to be in the postition they are in now as in fighting for fourth place.

I cant see him being in charge after this season.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
King of the Kop said:
**** off Razor, I have no respect for someone who supports Houllier not the Club.And wants whats best for Houllier, not the club.You have to post articles because you have no real opinion.Which fits in with your philosiphy of i support the manager and his decisions, No matter who that manager is or what he does/does not do.
Chill out- no need for that, imo.

All he did was post an article and if you (re-)read it you may pick up on the point he is trying to make.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
King of the Kop said:
wtf are you going on about? did you not notice that people regularly post articles here so everyone can take a glance at them? aren't you a bit trigger happy? no one's blasted you for your radical extremist opinions so why are you taking a go at Razor?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
It's the straw that broke the Camels back, He's indirectly but purposely calling the majority of Liverpool fans Muppets.Or more specificaly the people on these boards that have no time for him.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
are you a muppet? no. you know that, who cares what robson says. unless you're the bloke who called into the radio station saying Robson was complacent, i think you're safe :D

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted an article that a manager whom many on here call a respected manager opinions of those that are in the media critiising a person doing a job that not one of them has the balls to do, or if they have done it they've failed miserably.

I didn't realise that KOTK was a failed manager. If that is the case, I most certainly apologise for Sir Bobby Robson's comments that offended you.
:tongue:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I can see SBR's point, but I can also see the case for those who've lost patience with a manager who has had the best part of 5 or 6 seasons to raise the Titanic, but he's still sitting on the surface in a rowboat holding a fishing rod with one hand and scratching his head with t'other.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
i think Razor's loyalty to his manager should be admired. it's clear that he will give his own life without hesitation if that's what it takes to keep gh at Anfield until the day he makes us a 1Div. team. Now, that's what I call a true fan, you muppets! And all that despite his manager restricting him to rave something about only once or twice a year. Not much at all. But Razor never complaints. He patiently waits before he unleashes himself, and that is admirable too. Another of his qualities that I admire is that he had a decency not to jump out right away after we managed to beat the mighty Yeovil in a battle of giants (like some other true reds did), he didn't even show up after the historic win at the Bridge!!! but when we managed to come with 3 points from the villa game and in fact didn't look inferior compared to the mighty villains - his bubble bursted. And who can blame him for that? Three wins in a row, you muppets, after a year or so of witnessing horrible results, not mentioning the displays...

hats off to RazorUK whose virtues are patience, loyalty and understanding.

i'm not sure how many of us still want gh at the helm but at least the rest of the world is happy while he's here. But what the world - the world of muppets, indeed - knows about the feelings of a true red...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What a drama queen Zico.

You might notice that it isn't Razor's oppinion but Robsons and he was just posting it here.

Granted, it doesn't fit in with the agenda on these boards and isn't littered with schoolgrond nicknames for the manager but it's still Liverpool related.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
did he ask for an attorney? What's your price? or you are doing this pro bono? :)

CR, you r not THAT stupid, so don't bring this "that's not his that's SBR's comments". There are billions of people (and thousands of sirs amongst them) making billions of comments each day, yet he comes up with his fav rant about the muppets now and you reading it differently?

but i liked the drama queen part, nice touch.

:cool:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
zico said:
CR, you r not THAT stupid, so don't bring this "that's not his that's SBR's comments". There are billions of people (and thousands of sirs amongst them) making billions of comments each day, yet he comes up with his fav rant about the muppets now and you reading it differently?
Exactly.Anyone that cant see his intentions is quite naive.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
There are billions of people (and thousands of sirs amongst them) making billions of comments each day, yet he comes up with his fav rant about the muppets now and you reading it differently?
Lets not pretend it's any different to anything others would do.

Would you post a positive article, no, you'd post a negative one because it fit's your view. Razor is doing the same.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
CardiffRed said:
Razor is doing the same.
BULL****!!! it ain't the same! For me to do the same thing would be sitting out for months witnessing our beloved club destroying everybody at home and on the continent with style and panache, winning titles and every time they would have an occasional slip I'd come out of a hole and rub my finger into your noses and say: "see, we've lost, told ya so, yo muppets!".

This is what he's doing, watching horror after horror, and us sinking deeper and deeper, and when occasionally a horror show ends up with 3 points he comes out to catch a breath with his muppet show. That tribe proved themselves a pro-gh only! They are so much pro-gh there isn't much of LFC left in them. They never discuss problems, they never show any signs of worriness despite us dropping out of title race only after a couple of weeks (or if you ask me I'd say we dropped last season out of this year's race)! They seem to have only one worry - to make an impossible task possible: to keep gh at Anfield.

are you one of them? if not why then a Liverpool fan would be content with us fighting for a 4th place? and demand that as long as reaching the 4th is a realistic target everybody should shut up and stay "positive". It didn't work last year? it's ok, it might work this year. And if not this year next year we might have another go at the 4th place.
How can anyone be content with that unless you are a manc? How can anyone want gh in charge of liverpool unless you are a manc? Too dumb to figure on your own? Go ask a manc!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts