Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd of the 3 consecutive home games where we have a chance to put clear daylight between us and Chelsea/Arsenal. We've had 2 excellent rounds winning while rivals dropped points and if we win our game whatever happens we'll obviously make up points again. Ideally it ends a draw but enough about them. Liverpool won't be a cakewalk, they've improved a lot as they had to after the embarassing 1-2 home defeat to Barnsley and they've won all their games since.

Old Trafford is a place where quite a lot of unbeaten runs get ended and I think that tradition will continue on Sunday.

1-0 to United via Rooney.

Probable line-up:

Van Der Sar; Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs; Rooney and Tevez.

·
Third Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,100 Posts
3-0, Gary Neville hat-trick. The "injury" was just an elaborate mind game leading up to this match.

·
Registered
622 Posts
A win is what we need nothing more nothing less.

.......................Vds
....brown......rio........vidic.......evra.....
...ronaldo....carrick....anderson....nani....
................rooney.....tevez...

2-0 ronaldo rooney

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
A win is what we need nothing more nothing less.

.......................Vds
....brown......rio........vidic.......evra.....
...ronaldo....carrick....anderson....nani....
................rooney.....tevez...

2-0 ronaldo rooney
I rather we play Hargreaves at RB.

·
Registered
622 Posts
hargreaves isn't really an experienced back so we can't really chuck him in,in the big derby i'd prefer having brown he did a decent job at analfield

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Happy as I am to see Ronaldo's current form, (****er better save some for this summer ;) ), I think that in one way, he should be a concern to Manchester United fans.

Surely the team is too reliant on his goals? He gets hurt, or has an off night, and who's going to step up? Right now, no one else looks able, and I wonder if Rooney and company are starting to feel embarrassed by their comparative inability to contribute. Your competitors have their goals coming from a couple of sources. The next phase of the season will be a tough test.

ok...maybe I'm being too negative...after all...you ARE sitting in a pretty good position, but I don't think anyone would mind seeing Rooney and Tevez take their chances better, and a goal or two from the mid field would be reassuring too.

·
Third Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,100 Posts
Surely the team is too reliant on his goals? He gets hurt, or has an off night, and who's going to step up? Right now, no one else looks able, and I wonder if Rooney and company are starting to feel embarrassed by their comparative inability to contribute. Your competitors have their goals coming from a couple of sources. The next phase of the season will be a tough test.
No they haven't. Arsenal's second top goalscorers are Cesc with 7 and Rosicky with 6. Ours are Tevez with 11 and Rooney with 8. Arsenal have had 13 different goalscorers, we've had 12. We beat Chelsea and Liverpool without him scoring, and we scored 8 past Villa and Boro without him getting on the scoresheet.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I see that most of you guys have Rio and Vidic as CB's in their starting 11. But fergue said that RIo is doubtful for sunday and they have to wait for medical report in Vidic's case.

So i guess it will be either Vidic+brown or Vidic+Pique . and frankly i would prefer brown and Owen as RB then to send Pique into game of such Improtance.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I would prefer Pique to brown. Brown looked shaky against Derby in CB, so how would he do against torres?

I am gonna go against the grain and say 1-1 or even 1-0 to Liverpool for several reasons.

1. They have nothing to play for, the worst they will get is 4th and its not really worth losing sleep over getting 3rd as its much of a muchness. There is no pressure on them in this game, unlike United who have been stumbling there way through the last few games (finishing has been awful!).
2. You know when a team is just due a win against us, well thats the way I feel about pool! Cant explain it
3. I hate predicting united wins in these close games as it makes me nervous. Call it superstitious but I prefer to predict a defeat then a win!
4. Ronaldo is due a big game in big games, United have been relying on him to keep them going but he is yet to proove he can dance around the likes of liverpool and chelsea defences!

Tevez will be a vital player. He has scored against the top 3 teams this season, he knows where to be when in the big games. We also need a big game from Rooney and Anderson.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
No they haven't. Arsenal's second top goalscorers are Cesc with 7 and Rosicky with 6. Ours are Tevez with 11 and Rooney with 8. Arsenal have had 13 different goalscorers, we've had 12. We beat Chelsea and Liverpool without him scoring, and we scored 8 past Villa and Boro without him getting on the scoresheet.
Top post. :thumbsup:

I hope Rio makes it back for this one.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I think everyone knows what the line-up will be, its pretty blatant:

brown---rio--vida---evra
--------hargreaves
------scholes--carrick
ronaldo--------------giggs
----------rooney

I predict a 1-0 win for United with Ronaldo hitting the penalty!!

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's very true but we'd be lying if we weren't concerned with the amount of chances United's other players seem to be spurning.

Ronaldo was marvellous after his 2 goals last night, constantly tried to set up his teammates and they kept missing chances.

People go on about Ronaldo not having as many assists as he used to have, well maybe that says a lot more about the other players in the team than it says about him.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That's very true but we'd be lying if we weren't concerned with the amount of chances United's other players seem to be spurning.

Ronaldo was marvellous after his 2 goals last night, constantly tried to set up his teammates and they kept missing chances.

People go on about Ronaldo not having as many assists as he used to have, well maybe that says a lot more about the other players in the team than it says about him.
Agreed. The finishing of late especially hasnt been good.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I would prefer Pique to brown. Brown looked shaky against Derby in CB, so how would he do against torres?

I am gonna go against the grain and say 1-1 or even 1-0 to Liverpool for several reasons.

1. They have nothing to play for, the worst they will get is 4th and its not really worth losing sleep over getting 3rd as its much of a muchness. There is no pressure on them in this game, unlike United who have been stumbling there way through the last few games (finishing has been awful!).
2. You know when a team is just due a win against us, well thats the way I feel about pool! Cant explain it
3. I hate predicting united wins in these close games as it makes me nervous. Call it superstitious but I prefer to predict a defeat then a win!
4. Ronaldo is due a big game in big games, United have been relying on him to keep them going but he is yet to proove he can dance around the likes of liverpool and chelsea defences!

Tevez will be a vital player. He has scored against the top 3 teams this season, he knows where to be when in the big games. We also need a big game from Rooney and Anderson.
I agree Drummer, I don't understand how some can be so confident against Liverpool but indifferent about Roma. Liverpool have a weaker squad than us but they often step up and punch above their own weight against us, just like City they seem to have a habit of beating us as many times as we beat them. It's like tossing a coin.

The game will probably be crap because Ferguson will play safe and field the slowest team available from the kick off. If we do manage to capitalise on all points I suspect it will be through a deflection or something.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I hope we play Carrick-Anderson in midfield and play with width and attack in numbers. Liverpool play to frustrate more skillfull teams so we should take advantage.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Let us beat the bastards.....any goal, whether from dopey, faggy or whoever, as long as it is a win.

Just not a loss please, we'll still lead come next week but can't imagine the site of them beating us at OT.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts