Xtratime Community banner

MUPL | 05/04/2009 | Manchester United v Aston Villa, Old Trafford @ 16:00 BST

7K views 225 replies 39 participants last post by  cheekymonkey 
#1 ·
This game has suddenly become a lot more must win than I thought it would be a few weeks ago, and Villa themselves have been in even bigger shit than us of late so they're not gonna come up here just to lay down.

We thought we could get away with just cruising to the title but a mixture of self inflicted damage and bad luck has seen us suddenly seen the gap shorten to 4 pts(assuming we keep doing our job in home games). So with that any sense of complacency will disappear, I know the boys say they havent gotten complacent but that shit just happens sub conciously as things were looking ridiculously easy.

Our past 2 title winning successes had a similar blip towards the business end when we could have cruised to the title, we've still got a decent advantage here though and 3 out of our next 4 games are at home so we have a platform to bounce back. That CL draw looks even better now, no disrespect to Porto but playing them is better than having 2 highly charged games against fellow Prem opposition.

Rooney, Vidic and Scholes are suspended for this one, Friedel was sent off in their game at Pool today but you just know that one will get rescinded so that he has a chance to put in another super display against us. :rolleyes:

Berbs has been pulled out of the Internationals, with Rooney suspended we better pray even harder that he makes it for this one, if he does i'd start this team;

Van Der Sar

O'Shea
Ferdinand
Evans
Evra

Ronaldo
Carrick
Fletcher
Nani

Berbatov
Tevez.

Put Anderson in for Tevez and go 3 in the middle if Berbs doesn't make it.

United to get the show back on the road here with a 2-1 win, Ronaldo and Tevez to score for us. :thumbsup: :hopeful:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nani has to start. We ain't playing that well, and we need goals to ease the pressure, and no-one bar Ronaldo in that midfield, offers as much goal threat like him.

I'd play the team that you played, preferably with Rafael at right back if he is fit (haven't got a clue where he is fitness wise).

It's not just about the attackers not taking their chances up top, the midfielders have to pop up with goals more often (aye, I am pointing my fingers to our central midfielders).

#5 ·
Villa will pile in the crosses whenever they get a chance, trust O'Shea more to deal with those than a unfit Neville or little Rafael whos equally not played for a few weeks.

When you're playing a decent side, which Villa are , regardless of their recent blip. You have got to consider those things.

Anyway, i'm actually fuming at Rooney's brainless petulance now more than when it actually happened, how we could have done with him for this match.

He really needs to grow up, the same goes for some others at our club namely Ronaldo, he's another who has gotten away with lots of shit this season and it's only a matter of time before he gets punished as well.

He's being wasted as a pure winger when he can contribute so much more so that adds to the frustration I guess and it leads to him getting kicked even more than usual.

Hopefully he and everyone else come back unscathed from the Internationals.

#6 · (Edited)
Berbatov to miss World Cup qualifiers as ankle injury rules him out for two weeks

Last updated at 7:55 PM on 22nd March 2009

Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov has been ruled out of the Bulgaria squad for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Republic of Ireland and Cyprus with an ankle injury.

The Bulgaria captain sustained the injury in his club's 2-0 defeat to Fulham yesterday, where he was substituted at half-time.

'There's no chance of Berbatov playing against Ireland and Cyprus,' said Bulgaria team doctor Mihail Iliev. 'The injury will prevent any kind of football-related activity for the next two weeks.

'I have talked to the Manchester United medical staff and I am expecting a fax with the details of the medical scans.

'We are talking about a muscle tear, which means his foot will be immovable for two weeks. It is most likely that he aggravated his old ankle injury.'

It is a big blow for Bulgaria coach Stanimir Stoilov, who is already without Manchester City winger Martin Petrov and Leicester defender Alexandar Tunchev.

Bulgaria, who are third in Group Eight with only three points from three games, play at Croke Park on March 28 before playing Cyprus at home four days later.

Berbatov's injury will also be a worry to United coach Sir Alex Ferguson, with fellow striker Wayne Rooney facing suspension following his red card yesterday.

(dailymail)

I think he´s out for this one as well. And some here surely are not unhappy about that....

#7 ·
You should focus on this game and play the back-ups against Porto. You'll still beat us comfortably.

#8 ·
Rooney, Vidic and Scholes are suspended for this one and will probably start against Porto.

BTW, you do know that this match isn't being moved so it's played on a Sunday and then 2 days later it's Porto at OT. Very very rare to see 2 big games like that in 3 days but I think SAF decided to get that extra day of rest after the internationals break as the only opening window was the 12:45 kick off on the Saturday.

Good news for Porto, they'll probably be playing on Friday as I think thats how they do things in Portugal, so thats 2 days more rest than United.

#9 ·
Josh is such a bullshit Porto fan. I will use several of his posts within the past week since the draw to stand by that statement in the future.

Now moving on to this match, I'm worried. Aston Villa is also in desperate need of a win to keep their UCL football dream alive for next season. Nani needs to be integrated on to a flank to provide a spark in the midfield.

#10 ·
Lead cut to just 1 point.

6 goals conceded in last 2 matches..

2 consective defeats after 143 games.

Rooney, scholes suspended.

Berba injured.

our main title rivals in form of the season.

all in all BACKS TO THE WALL situation...

the situation where we have time and again responded in a great manner. and i would not beleive for one second that we are not going to respond the same way.

i want to see urgency, attitute and hunger to win as if this is a final match. I want to see the players fighting for each ball.

I really think rooney's loss will be felt in this match. He would have given us the creativity added with the fighting attitude.

another thing that we need to be mindful is that with all these " now every team will fell that they have a chahce against united " comments by gerard, villa will fell that they have a chance and go for it. so we need to be careful. no defensive mistakes.

I want rio to be back to be his rock solid best.

---Oshea----Evans----RIO---evra------

----Roanldo-----carrick----fletcher----giggs--

-------Berba----tevez-------------------

if berba is unfit then play ronaldo as a striker and nani in the wing.

#11 ·
jep, I would like to see Nani more often. Whats happening with him this season, it looked so promising.

Btw....I will delete every thread speculating about quintuple or however it is called. Not the time for it after 2 ****ing losses in 2 weeks.

#12 ·
The bitching about Rio is just bizarre, do you guys remember who was our best player at the start of the season?

And do you guys remember that Rio missed a lot of December and January with a back problem and since he returned he hasn't looked at his best, it will take time to get fully back up to speed.

Oh and him having to cover for the right back position as well as his own also plays a part. This is all part of football, surely as United fans, we of all people can testify to that. It must be the media circus thats around these days that influence your opinions. Well you're falling right into their trap. How about you watch the games and then make YOUR OWN mind up on whats gone on.

Anyway, I really cannot wait for this game, I want it to come now. Win here and we can use it as a platform to string a few wins together to steady the ship and hopefully we can start getting the bounce of the ball a few more times now. We've been sluggish but there's also been a lot of bad luck.

#23 ·
Absoloute MUST WIN game! Not only because we are only 1 point ahead but because the lads need to re-establish that much needed confidence and belief.

My prediction is a 1-0 win for United with Ronaldo scoring a penalty.

#26 ·
As long as nobody dives, kicks out in frustration, throws the ball at the ref or thinks he's a ****ing goalkeeper, then we should be OK.
If you are referring to scholesy, it was instinctive reaction....could have happened any time.

#27 ·
4-0 to united . ..

To blast the cobwebs of complacency aside, tevez to come out of the shadows of roon and Berbs to send a message of intent to the pretenders below us . . .

Most importantly, has anybody looked at the Advertisement above "find your thai wife online"!

Obviously they feel single football fans have less time to actually start a relationship ! ! Some of you lads here go on about how much you spend on united, perhaps it would be easier if you took up this service, Im sure those thai ladies wouldnt be bloodsucking leaches, which would leave you more time to devote to united . . :)

#33 ·
well i dont think SAF will be looking for big wins. Next 2-3 games are going to be very tense affairs. With Players being very careful not to concede a goal. Lets agree, we will be looking over our shoulders now more than ever. With two loses, players will be more aware of liverpool threat and will be under pressure to perform,which is good for us. If our players dont nick in 2-3 wins now, then we can as well bow down. Liverpool are on hot streak, which wont last for long and as well may lose it when the crucial last 3-4 matches come in. Whereas we got a nice blow now to wake everyone up. This should be enough to keep us going till the end of the season.

Crucial Crucial games coming up.

GLORY GLORY UNITED.

#34 ·
Ferdinand Doubtful Ahead Of Man United Clash With Aston Villa

Rio Ferdinand has returned to Manchester United a serious doubt for this weekend's clash with Aston Villa.

Fabio Capello has revealed to the press that Rio Ferdinand has been sent back to Old Trafford with an injury after limping off the pitch during England's World Cup qualifying win over Ukraine on Wednesday.

Capello failed to confirm the nature or severity of the injury, leaving that up to his club side, but it suspected that the defender has aggravated a groin strain that he has been troubled with in the past. In light of this, Ferdinand looks a serious doubt for Manchester United's all important Premier League tie with Aston Villa this weekend.

"He was in a bit of pain and I will have to speak to the doctor," Capello told the press.

The 30-year-old will now be assessed by the club doctors at Old Trafford ahead of the clash with Villa, a game that United will surely be looking to make a statement in as their recent Premier League results have not been indicative of what the current Club World Cup champions are capable of producing.

And with Nemanja Vidic ruled out of the fixture due to suspension, Sir Alex Ferguson will be looking to his fringe players to step up and take the reigns at the heart of United's defence whilst hoping that Ferdinand makes a quick recovery.

#35 ·
Probably his dodgy back again. Now he has his 30 this is going to be a regular occurance.

This game can't come soon enough, the last 2 results have been lingering on and on over the International break.

#36 ·
Good that there were some nice internationals , now I´m really hungry for league football. In spite of suspensions and injury problems I am confident about a win. No excuses if we struggle again. Without Rooney and Berba all eyes on Carlitos and Ronaldo.

1-0.

#39 ·
Jet lag would be a problem if the game went ahead as a 12:45 game but that extra day and few hours ought to clear his mind. And once hes fit to play he will be eager to make up for his peronsal disappointment in that Bolivia game, even though he was one of the few to come away with any credit its still a 6-1 loss and he'll be looking to bounce back.

Feel him and/or Ronnie will dig deep to get us a massive win, in situations like this it does not matter THAT much what the results of the opposition are. This is a chance to get some much needed confidence back and set us up for what should be straight forward games for the rest of this month.

This is a real chance to help ourselves.

#40 ·
It is about time Ronaldo lived up to his best player in the world billing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.