Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next step in the mission to retain the league title sees us head to Middlesborough and the Riverside which has been a tricky place to visit in the past 6 or 7 seasons. But the funny thing is, Boro have had all these good results against us when they've rarely needed them and they're in a truly dire situation now in terms of their league position and need every point badly. How ironic would it be for us to practically send them down. :D

Anyway, Rio took a knock to the ribs in the Arsenal game and although he wanted to come back on you cannot risk it and I actually see him being rested here. Hopefully there won't be too many other changes because this is a match we need to win. It would also serve as a further momentum booster after 2 very big wins against Spurs and Arsenal.

Another tight one here, especially after our exertions in Europe. 0-1 to us, Ronaldo with the goal. :thumbsup: :hopeful:

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Brown back for Reds
April 30, 2009

SIR Alex Ferguson intends to ease Wes Brown back into first-team action in Manchester United's Premier League clash at Middlesbrough in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

With the Red Devils anxiously awaiting the results of x-rays on the rib injury Rio Ferdinand suffered at the end of last night's Champions League win over Arsenal, Ferguson is faced with being without experienced cover at centre-half.

Jonny Evans is a certain replacement if, as expected, Ferdinand is ruled out.

However, the United boss would prefer not to move John O'Shea away from the right-back station where he performed so well at Old Trafford.

So, Brown, who has come through a couple of reserve team appearances since returning to action after a foot problem, will be on the bench at the Riverside, with Ferguson pledging to introduce the England defender at some point.

“Wes has been training with the first team and has played two reserve games,” said Ferguson.

“He was with the squad today and there is a definite possibility he could play some part of the game on Saturday.

“I actually think it is important. I don't think he will start but he will play some part.”

Ferguson needs to utilise his squad on Teesside as, with the second leg at the Emirates Stadium looming on Tuesday, he cannot afford to risk all his key men again.

“I do not think it is right that we have a lunchtime kick-off at Middlesbrough,” he reflected.

“Obviously I will bring some freshness into the team. The defence will be the same, apart from Rio but the midfield and forwards could change completely.”

Ferguson feels the one big advantage Arsenal have is their lack of a pressing need for points at Portsmouth on Saturday, whereas his own team require victory to maintain their lead at the Premier League summit.

“They can play Pat Rice at right-back and Arsene himself at centre-forward on Saturday,” said Ferguson.

“We have to play a team to win the game.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...nchester_united/s/1112739_brown_back_for_reds

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rio has had his x ray by now, and if something was fractured we'd have been told.

Just typical Sir Alex kidology, he'll play on Tuesday. There's no doubt aboo tha.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
We have to win this, like you said previously Yatta, before the Pompey and Spurs matches, if we get 9 out of 9 points, we are well on our way to the title.

Saying that, Boro are fighting for relegation and most likely, many players will be rested, so it could be a very hard game.

3-0 to United.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Yep, they need to get playing like that for the rest of the run in. Rio's out for 3 weeks.
whats the source pat? ManUtd.com has nothing on this....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hate the Riverside, some shocking results there. Brings back memories of that 4-1 thumping on my 18th birthday..yuk!

I'd fancy a nice 0-2 win with a jug of beer to follow.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
KIKO TIME AGAIN!!!! :)

Macheda in line to face Boro

United boss contemplates whether to field Italian from the start

Sir Alex Ferguson is contemplating whether to hand Manchester United youngster Federico Macheda his first Premier League start at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The United boss is set to utilise his full squad at the weekend with the game at the Riverside sandwiched between the two UEFA Champions League semi-final ties with Arsenal.

The Red Devils take a slender 1-0 advantage to Emirates Stadium on Tuesday and Ferguson wants all his top players fit for the clash.
That could mean starts for the likes of Paul Scholes, Ben Foster and Park Ji-Sung after the trio were left on the bench against the Gunners while Nani and 18-year-old Danny Welbeck could also feature.

Macheda burst on to the scene with two goals in his first two appearances and, despite being brought back down to earth with a subdued performance in the FA Cup semi-final against Everton, Ferguson has no doubts that he is ready.

"I was delighted with Macheda's performance at Wembley," Ferguson said.

"Playing your first full game somewhere like that is very difficult but he has done fantastically well.

"I am trying to ensure both Federico and Danny Welbeck feel wanted because they both have the physical strength to cope and they will be involved tomorrow."

Debut to remember

The young Italian hit the headlines with a debut goal after coming off the bench to grab a last minute winner against Aston Villa at Old Trafford.

The stunning goal could yet prove to be the strike which swung the title momentum back in United's favour and Ferguson believes the debut performance is up there with Wayne Rooney's against Fenerbache in 2004 when he hit a hat-trick.

"I don't think I have seen a better debut goal than that," the Scot added.

"For a young lad of 17 to come on and score a goal like that was incredible. I don't think you can match scoring a hat-trick as Wayne did.

"But the difference was he had a bit of experience with Everton and England prior to that. Macheda had none.

"He has the instinct of knowing what to do and when to do it. Against Villa he did not just score, he made an impact on the game with his general play.

"He has certainly proved he is ready."

(skynews)

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's starting, here's the full team news.

Foster
O'Shea Vidic Evans Evra
Park Giggs Scholes Rooney
Macheda Berbatov

Subs: Ronaldo. ando nani gibson kuz tevez rafael

Park, Giggs and Scholes in the same midfield makes me extremely nervous. :(

Save us again Kiko.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
i agree gab.....scholes + giggs + park makes me nervous...

i fear that there is not much steel in there...but attacking wise it is very intresting.

Hope kiko + berba partnership clicks.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
giggs

1-0

1 - 20 of 33 Posts