Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add my sympathies to those expressed by other posters in this forum: the Italians got screwed by the officials!

Although this fact is painfully obvious, we cannot lose sight of the fact that Italy often (unnecessarily) employs negative tactics when it has some of the most skilled offensive players on the planet. I hope that Trap gets sacked and that we hire a coach from outside of Italy, one with new ideas.

This is the direction I feel the team should take heading into EURO 2004 Qualifying, and I welcome your views on the subject.

Goalkeeping

If it aint broke............. I must admit that I was one of the many who called for Toldo to start ahead of Buffon for this WC. That being said, I feel that Buffon showed his class during the tournament. Taking age into consideration, it seems reasonable to hand Buffon the goalie gloves for the European campaign. If he should falter or become injured, we have capable back-up.

Defense

This part of our game disappointed me the most. I honestly felt that we had a chance to finish the tournament without conceding two goals in total. Nesta proved his worth; four of Italy's five goals were conceded when he was off the pitch.

Time To Go
These players are on their way out:

Maldini - a living legend. Too bad he had to end his international career like this.

Panucci - a disappointing WC campaign. Will be remembered for botching the easy clearance that led to S. Korea's tying goal with minutes left.

Welcome
These players should be called into action:

Bonera - the next great Italian defender?

Coco - should be a regular on defense. One of the most impressive performances on the team.

Midfield
This was the main reason we struggled this tournament; we had no midfield!

Time To Go
Di Livio - an absolute disgrace to Italy. This man could run for hours without doing a thing. Should've never been there in the first place.

Zanetti - he is still young but, in my mind, was absolutely invisible during the tournament. He did not show his club form during the tournament. I wouldn't call him back for a while.

Welcome
Ambrosini - he was sorely missed and should be a mainstay for years to come. How Trap picked Di Livio over him is scandalous!

Pirlo - this player is pure class. If Milan is smart, they will sell off the injury-prone Rui Costa and give Pirlo a chance to shine. This is our next great playmaker!

Marchionni - we could use his speed down the flanks.

Forwards
Time To Go
Inzaghi - this guy is a waste of space and does not work well with Vieri, and never will! He is one of those negative players that I pray will never wear the Azzurri shirt again.

Delvecchio - we have way better options than this moron.

Welcome
Di Vaio - should have been there in place of Delvecchio. He would have been a great option to sub Vieri late in games when fatigue was setting in.

Maccarone - this guy is gonna be lethal; look out!

That's my view, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
First of all, it's a shame we didn't get more out this WC. Of course without the referee we would have gone further and maybe played better.

But our midfield sucked (like everyone knows) and our strength (the forwardline) was not used properly. With the potential of this squad (but with e.g. Ambrosini, Fiore, ...) Italy was capable of winning the WC. Most of the players are now at their best age (between 26 and 29). So for the next wc there will be changed a lot.

But for the short-term, for EURO2004 I agree that the midfield should be changed: maybe Pirlo won't get a lot of occasions with Totti. But Maresca looks a good option for the Azzuri and of course Brighi, Zanetti is a good player but he lacks now some experience.

Also the tactics have to change. I can enjoy the art of defending. But when you have 4 top strikers in your squad, you should counter more or speculate on a 2-0 advantage. And we have to play with at least 2 creative players!

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Maccarone, Bonera, Marchionni and Pirlo are 4 young good players for the future for sure. Matteo Ferarri and Donati maybe also, but 2004 maybe to early for them.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
donati my ass!!!! rubbish!!! pure crap
i reckon poalo zanetti of vicenza will be a star

·
Registered
46,756 Posts
It is not a question of players (Di Livio, Iuliano and Materazzi excluded), but a question of mentality. We need a different coach:
with Trap as a coach we would play with Gattuso and Di Livio even if we had 1000 champions. He likes that kind of players (who looks like Trap when he was a player) and he will always think that after scoring a goal Italy has to defend it.... no way with Trap, no future.
We need a revolution in our mentality, we need coaches like Del Neri.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
pirri said:
donati my ass!!!! rubbish!!! pure crap

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him pure crap, but he has never done anything with Milan to justify his hype. I can't believe we didn't jump at the deal which would have gotten us Cannvaro for Donati and cash.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Like Donati really got a chance to play.

Remember we were hesitant in playing Pirlo, we gave him 5-10 mins each game, and then in the end we started him and it paid. Why not keep on trying Donati and give him a fair chance. we didnt give Umit a fair chance, and hes performing well at the world cup.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Well Pirlo proved his skills with Brescia, he never got the chance at big level, till Carlo finally sstarted playing him.
I think donati should be used in milans midfield over gatusso who in my eyes is a sub.

Lav

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
From what I saw when he played, Donati played similar role to Gattuso (a lot of running around) but Gattuso plays it with more heart. I never saw any refinement nor vision from Donati. Maybe I was expexting too much or simply misguided, but I always thought of Donati as another Albertini.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Dae,
Donati is like Trio, but trio isnt like gatusso so therfore donati aint like gatusso :D

in any case Trio is 10 times more skilled than gatusso....i though of donati as a defnsive playmaker

Lav

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
That's exactly how I see Donati, but when he played he never did anything but run around and know a few people over. At least with Milan. With Atalanta, the few times I saw him play, Donati showed more promise. Maybe an extended run in the first team would help. There has to be some reason Milan kept him instead of giving him up for Canna.

BTW, I didn't mean Donati played Gattuso's role, but rather the end result seemed to be the same, imo.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
i don't know what u ppl had notions about Donati, but in my opinion he is a defensive playmaker someone like Trio or Ballack.

Needs to be given chance to mature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts