Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think of this teenage midfielder ?

he was very good against Boro and Newcastle which is the only times i have seen him, what is his usual level like, very skilful lad ?

maybe some of our esteemed Portuguese members can give their verdict, hype him up/ kunt him off.

the reason i made this thread is he is being linked with EPL clubs now, so he could be sold this summer.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
here bout half way down
Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez believes the club's success in Europe will help them in their bid to sign top players in the summer.
The Reds booked their place in the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League with a battling draw over Juventus in midweek and Benitez believes their progress in Europe's premier competition can only help enhance their profile when trying to entice players to Anfield.

"With the foreign players now, they see Liverpool in the Champions League semi-final and think `It's a good team, a good club' and that makes it easier for me," said Benitez.

"We have got a better chance of signing better quality players now. We will look at the situation at the end of the season, but it will certainly be easier to sell the club to foreign players, in particular, when they see Liverpool in the last four of the Champions League.

"We have always been a big club, but for them Liverpool is attractive again."

One of Benitez's targets could be Sporting Lisbon's highly-rated midfielder Joao Moutinho.

Reports emanating from Portugal claim Liverpool are leading the chase for the 18-year-old, who has helped knock Middlesbrough and Newcastle out of this season's Uefa Cup.

Benitez admitted he is already working on new signings for next season.

"We are working on new signings and have some possibilities already," added Benitez.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Half the premiership is being linked with him. I've heard Liverpool, Newcastle, Spurs, Everton and Middlesbrough.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
He's only 18 and he's a great tactic player. Sporting are usually playing in 4-1-3-2 and he already did the anchor position or, most often, one of the 3 "attacking" midfielders (if you consider Hugo Viana to be an attacking midfielder too). He only came definitely to the first team squad in the middle of the season, even if he has made a good pre-season performance. Actually, he auxiliates a lot on defending as he runs everywhere but he also has some good through ball ability. Slowly, I think he's improving his ability to appear in the edge of the area to shoot on goal but his main strength is definitely his positioning (defensive coverage and launching the offensive plays). He's not strong (he can manage that with some weights) but he won't be tall to get many aerial plays. Besides, he has good shooting (although I think he won't score many goals in his career) and plays well with two feet, he's very promising indeed. He's been an usual Portugal U19 player but he recently has made his debut with the U21. Maybe it's too soon for Scolari to call him to the Main NT because he still has to walk some road in the U21, but he has the quality for that.

http://www.sporting.pt/Info/Futebol/ILiga/Jogadores/FichaJogador.asp?idEpoca=332&idCompeticao=34&idJogador=21232

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the write-up Luis, seems he would benefit from staying in Portugal a while longer to me, i wonder why he is being linked to lots of clubs so early.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
thanks for the write-up Luis, seems he would benefit from staying in Portugal a while longer to me, i wonder why he is being linked to lots of clubs so early.
I suppose with the recent production of quality in the past 10 years; teams don't want to miss out on the next Figo or Rui Costa or Sousa.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O Glorioso said:
I suppose with the recent production of quality in the past 10 years; teams don't want to miss out on the next Figo or Rui Costa or Sousa.
does Fergie still get first offer on Sporting players ?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
does Fergie still get first offer on Sporting players ?
I believe it's something like that. The two clubs do have some sort of partnership and with the recent transfer of Ronaldo and having Queiroz on your side would give you preference over many teams including Chelsea.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Yeah I think that's how it works. Any Sporting player that's going to be sold, Man United have first refusal on his contract. Don't Chelsea have a similar agreement with either Benfica or Porto?

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O Glorioso said:
I believe it's something like that. The two clubs do have some sort of partnership and with the recent transfer of Ronaldo and having Queiroz on your side would give you preference over many teams including Chelsea.
I am NOT a United fan thanks :nono: :D

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
khimik said:
Yeah I think that's how it works. Any Sporting player that's going to be sold, Man United have first refusal on his contract. Don't Chelsea have a similar agreement with either Benfica or Porto?
Apparently, they have a similar deal with Porto. Benfica is free of thaty shit :D :stuckup:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moutinho should be an option for United then, he surely must be able to do a better job than Djemba and the other berks they have there.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Actually the deal Chelsea have is with Benfica. They get linked with Fernandes a bit and were on about parking Robinho there as well as Maxi Lopez before he signed for Barca. Porto don't like Chelsea AFAIK.

And yeah, sounds like too much too young as far as a move goes. Sure Ronaldo did great but you only have to look at Postiga and Viana (wonder if he'll have another crack of the whip next season, sounds like he won't but I want him to) to see the risks involved.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
O Glorioso said:
Apparently, they have a similar deal with Porto. Benfica is free of thaty shit :D :stuckup:
No. Benfica President Luís Filipe Vieira is dealing a lot with Chelsea board and they have made several partnerships very recently. Yet Porto and Chelsea have nothing more to do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think he should stay at least one more year in Sporting, but if he get sign by any top team he can deal with the pressure. He is very good in terms of mentallity, always fighting for the team the wolle 90 minutes as if just entered the game. He may now be very strong, but he wins a lot of chalenges cause he´s always giving his best and never give up. He have great passing skills, tecnique and tactic culture. In the first game he made for Sporting, he played in the first eleven te 90 minutes and he has never lose a ball! He also have a good midrange shot and he can play any position in the midfield. For a player of that age he shows a great mentality also, never getting nervous or feeling the pressure.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Moutinho has mentality and skills but i fear for his future if he join a foreign team in the summer...
He's way to young and he needs to consolidate his skills and play.

Alex Ferguson is doing that with ronaldo, maybe moutinho could do well if he joined a club who played him slowly...otherwise...

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
LuisPedroCat said:
No. Benfica President Luís Filipe Vieira is dealing a lot with Chelsea board and they have made several partnerships very recently. Yet Porto and Chelsea have nothing more to do.
I must have been mistaken then. I believe I heard something about a partnership when Mourinho went to Porto. I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Actually the deal Chelsea have is with Benfica. They get linked with Fernandes a bit and were on about parking Robinho there as well as Maxi Lopez before he signed for Barca. Porto don't like Chelsea AFAIK.

And yeah, sounds like too much too young as far as a move goes. Sure Ronaldo did great but you only have to look at Postiga and Viana (wonder if he'll have another crack of the whip next season, sounds like he won't but I want him to) to see the risks involved.
Lately, how many big name transfers have done well in the EPL? Everyone believed Postiga should have remained in Portugal for one more season even Mourinho came out and said that when he left; he was still young and needed more experience. The situation with Viana is different, I just believe he picked the wrong club to go to. Hopefully next season he won't be at Newcastle and possibly at Sporting or maybe an Italian side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts