1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE: CHAMPS PREPARE FOR LIFE AFTER JOSE
Mourinho set to leave in summer; Blues target Hiddink as his successor
Paul Smith Chief Football Writer

THE Richter Scale for managerial shocks will hit 10 when Jose Mourinho's reign at Chelsea ends.

Not since the day when Kenny Dalglish quit champions Liverpool 15 years ago has there been a split to rival the seismic fall-out from the impending Stamford Bridge divorce.

The Special One, recruited in the summer of 2004 to make Chelsea champions, is about to don his overcoat for the last time and head to Italy to land a £5million-a-year job with Inter Milan.

For some time now the football grapevine has been alive with rumours about clashes occurring behind the scenes at Stamford Bridge.

Sunday Mirror Sport was made aware two months ago that some of Mourinho's closest friends and colleagues believed that instead of being tied to a new long-term contract The Special One would leave after one more season at the Bridge.

Now, in the wake of Chelsea's Champions League defeat against Barcelona that estimate had changed.

A senior member of the Chelsea backroom staff said: "Jose will be out of here this summer."

That view has been confirmed to the Sunday Mirror by a member of Peter Kenyon's administrative staff as well as a leading Premier League figure.

Winning back-to-back Premiership titles may not be enough to satisfy Roman Abramovich's vision for world domination.

And with Mourinho's future in the balance, Chelsea have identified PSV Eindhoven boss - and England candidate - Guus Hiddink as the man to replace him.

PSV president Rob Westerhof understands why Chelsea have now set their sights on his coach.

Westerhof said last night: "If Chelsea are looking for a man to replace Mourinho there are only two coaches suitable. They're Guus Hiddink and Fabio Capello.

"We're pressing Guus to make a decision on his future. We expect his decision next week.

"I have a good relationship with Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon. At the moment I've not heard from him and I'd expect to do so.

"But given their situation they wouldn't want to cause unrest when they're chasing the Premiership and FA Cup."

Westerhof is also well aware that by moving to Chelsea Hiddink would again be teaming up with old colleague Frank Arnesen, the Blues' sporting director.

Westerhof added: "You have the situation of Frank being at Chelsea already which might be very convenient for them.

Multilingual Hiddink is renowned as a charming, media firnedly manager and his record singles him out as the ideal man to build on the success Mourinho has enjoyed.

There is no single reason why Mourinho's reign at Chelsea is about to end.

The cocktail includes many ingredients but the Barcelona experience certainly affected owner Roman Abramovich.

Abramovich announced when he took over in July 2003 that he wanted to mirror Real Madrid and make Chelsea the best, most exciting team in the world. He had the available cash to do it, too.

But Mourinho's route to glory meant he deliberately shied away from superstars. He didn't want Galacticos, he wanted players to fit his team pattern.

Chelsea always knew people would criticise the largesse of their Russian owner but they now believe Mourinho's egotistical outbursts threaten to undermine any hope of winning widespread public approval.

Inter are also owned by a multimillionaire, Massimo Moratti. He has lavished money on a succession of coaches, won nothing and now feels Mourinho is the man to change that."

----------------------

:eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
This story is over a week old! Think it's rubbish as none of the other tabloids have picked up on it over the week.

Hiddink has said he knows where he's working next year though...by all reports it's the Russian national team.

Jose denies Inter Milan link
20th Mar 2006
By Staff Writer

Chelsea boss, Jose Mourinho has refuted claims he is set to walk out on the club at the end of the season to move to Italian giants, Inter Milan.

Reports in the Sunday Mirror yesterday claimed that Mourinho has fallen out with Roman Abramovich and will leave the club in the summer to be replaced by Gus Hiddink.

Ahead of yesterday's game with Fulham, Mourinho denied the reports and told Sky Sports:

"I have a contract until 2010 with Chelsea and I intend to see it out"

In other reports, Chelsea captain Frank Lampard told the News of the World:

"It would be a huge blow for us to lose him.

"We all know what we are doing and what our aim is - and we are already on a two year run of success. To change all that could put the club back years. A new manager would have to come in and start all over again."

http://www.all3points.co.uk/cat/chelsea/jos200306.php

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, actually.

Mourinho's management style suits Serie A teams to a T. And Chelsea will do with a different manager next season, because simply winning Premiership titles will no longer be acceptable.

I would like to see him manage Inter next season. It will be very interesting. Where will Mancini go then?

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
7aint9 said:
Hiddink has said he knows where he's working next year though...by all reports it's a Russian ......team.
=Chelsea ;)

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
it's only a matter of time before Abramovich starts questioning if the dour fare that Mourinho serves up is worth spending lots of his fortune on.

Abramovich has the flashiest yachts, planes, goes to the flashiest hotels, has the flashiest cars, and his football team is more like one of his oil plants rather than having any glamour.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Will this fit in with the Sunday Mirror's 2% chance of getting these kind of things correct? Stay tuned to find out!

Seriously, only the Star and the Sun are worse than the Mirror.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Seriously, only the Star and the Sun are worse than the Mirror.

I only see the Star now and again but i read all the other tabloids every day and i'd say the Mirror is by far the worst for football coverage.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Maybe, The Sun seems to have more totally random rumours, though. I've always quite fancied working there just to make stuff up and pass it off as a credible rumour.

Totti to Barca for £37mil!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why are football news reported by tabloids (and why do the latter have such a vast readership across the UK?)?

Do you have a national daily sports paper (like Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport, not to mention Tuttosport and il Corriere dello Sport, Spain's Marca or France's L'Équipe)?

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Kaiser Franco said:
Why are football news reported by tabloids (and why do the latter have such a vast readership across the UK?)?

Do you have a national daily sports paper (like Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport, not to mention Tuttosport and il Corriere dello Sport, Spain's Marca or France's L'Équipe)?
its probably because the welfare is higher in england than in spain and italy. in holland, there is no daily sports paper either, simply because we have high welfare so we have internet connection and dont need to rely on papers

1 - 20 of 47 Posts