Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your opinions please, here is the article.

Mourinho: 'I'm in a different league'

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho hit back at Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o ahead of next week's Champions League tie - insisting Frank Rijkaard's managerial achievements cannot be compared to his own.

Mourinho: Better than Rijkaard? (NealSimpson/GettyImages)

Cameroon striker Eto'o had turned up the heat ahead of the last-16 first-leg tie by insisting the Spanish giants would prevail due to their greater attacking power.

Eto'o added: 'Mourinho may have had a lot of success in the past with teams at home and in Europe.

'But I think that Rijkaard knows more about football than the Chelsea boss and how to treat his players properly.'

Mourinho responded: 'Frank Rijkaard's history as a player can't be compared with my history as his is fantastic and mine is zero.

'As a manager though, my history cannot be compared to his. He has zero titles and I have a lot of them.'

Indeed, while Rijkaard is something of a managerial novice, despite his side leading the Primera Liga by four points from Real Madrid, Mourinho is looking to defend 'his' Champions League trophy.

The Chelsea boss, who did a treble in 2003 with Porto - picking up the domestic league, Portuguese cup and UEFA Cup - won the league again last season as well as the Champions League.

Mourinho, a former assistant coach at Barcelona, added: 'First of all, I have to defend what is mine and the Champions League is mine at the moment.

'I'm the last manager to have won it so it's my competition. I have to fight for Chelsea and for myself, to defend my cup until the last moment.

'Maybe it's because I won the Champions League that I had a big turn in my life and I could come to a big football country like England.

'So the Champions League means a lot to me, it's something unforgettable and something that I want to repeat.'

Mourinho, 42, added: 'I'm still very young as a manager. I think that I have 15 more years to work in football so I hope to have the taste again.'

The Chelsea boss nevertheless conceded his side are one of eight teams who could win the Champions League this season, although he discounted Porto.

'I don't think it's fair when people say that Chelsea are favourites as I don't think it's true,' he insisted.

'In four of the last 16 matches, there are eight great teams and all of them can win the Champions League - Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester United, AC Milan, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Juventus.

'One will win and the other seven won't succeed but that is the reality of football - you can lose against big teams.'

The Blues lead the Premiership by nine points and have already reached the Carling Cup final.

Their most immediate priority however is the FA Cup, in which they face Newcastle in the fifth round at St James' Park this weekend.

They will face a team determined to derail their quadruple bid in order to salvage something their own disappointing campaign.

The Magpies have struggled for consistency in the Barclays Premiership but still retain hope of ending the season on a high with some cup success.

'We are at Newcastle United, it's a big, big club and we haven't won anything for a long time,' said assistant manager Alan Murray. 'We are working very hard to make sure we change that.

'We have got two opportunities still, the UEFA Cup, which is very important, and the FA Cup.'

Newcastle are hoping to have Nicky Butt and Kieron Dyer back after the pair missed the UEFA Cup trip to Heerenveen last night with an ankle injury and a viral infection respectively.

Dyer should have recovered and Butt too may be available after just missing out.

'He wasn't far away,' said Murray. 'He didn't quite have enough training in him to make sure he could go, but hopefully he's done some work back home and he'll make a full recovery.'

Premiership Blackburn are bracing themselves for a hostile atmosphere when they make the short journey to East Lancashire rivals Burnley.

Veteran defender Craig Short scored in Blackburn's 5-0 win when the sides met four years ago and is aware of just how intimidating their clash with the Coca-Cola Championship side could be.

'You don't get many hostile atmospheres these days, and hardly ever in the Premiership,' the 36-year-old told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph.

'Years ago we used to get it all the time at places like Leeds, the old Den and one or two other grounds but it doesn't happen much nowadays.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would just like to add that there a host of managers who have won more than Mourinho but never have they bragged like this. Trappatoni, Lippi, Capello to name a few

Also, correct me if i'm mistaken, but the english press is giving him a lot of heat as well, am i correct? Cuz he seems too arrogant?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I'd rather listen to Jose than boring old Steve McLaren any day.

He may be arrogant, and not have achieved as much as others, but he has also been in management for less time. He has won the CL, the UEFA Cup and the Portugese League and cup and took Leira to the UEFA Cup also. He has achieved a lot in a short space of time.

~ The Green :rollani:ne

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are Frank's managerial achievements, if someone has the facts? I am somewhat rooting for Barca now b/c this kind of arrogance drives me nuts.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
This kind of arrogance?? He's defending himself against Eto who spoke out against him. Sheesh...

Anyways, there's plenty of thread on this lame topic. It's been discussed over and over again. Why we continue to waste forum space on repetitive topics is beyond me. :rollani:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
How about...

Jose Mourinho: The best damn manager in the entire world.

Looks a bit more accurate.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
I don't find any arrogance in his comments. He's given credit to Rijkaard as a player and given credit to himself as a coach. He is forthright and straightforward. Blunt people are not popular amongst the masses always but I like his style! :thumbsup:

This thread is going to the Chelsea forum. It is related purely to them and their side.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Haroon said:
I don't find any arrogance in his comments. He's given credit to Rijkaard as a player and given credit to himself as a coach. He is forthright and straightforward. Blunt people are not popular amongst the masses always but I like his style! :thumbsup:

This thread is going to the Chelsea forum. It is related purely to them and their side.
My man Haroon, always covering my six. :stuckup: :shades: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
You Portugese guys can't look at anything Portugese critically and get off whenever someone else does, that said Mourinho is indeed a wonderful manager with irreputable success.

I think Mourinho is cocky but no more than Wenger and Ferguson.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Alexey said:
You Portugese guys can't look at anything Portugese critically and get off whenever someone else does, that said Mourinho is indeed a wonderful manager with irreputable success.

I think Mourinho is cocky but no more than Wenger and Ferguson.

**** You Alexey and your love of blowing Robinho to boot...

There's many a Portuguese players and coaches I don't like. I don't like Fernando Couto, Jorge Costa, Joao Pinto, etc. to name a few. There's never any topics on them. It's those like Ronaldo and Mourinho who are hyped for a reason that the likes of you continue to hate on.

Stick it where the sun don't sunshine you prick.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Alexey said:
And this response is for saying a certain non-Portugese player is better than a certain Portugese one. Carry on...
No. This reponse is for saying that I'm sick and tired of your crap and your incessant meddling. Give your opinion the topic and shut the hell up. No need to rif raf your way about Portuguese posters and what not..

Carry on is right...

·
1st Tier Poster
50,405 Posts
So...what did he actually say that is so bad? It is true that Rijkaard as a manager is a novice compared to him. He didn't say anything disrespective IMO.
Mourinho is certainly quite a cold-looking man and he is not afraid to express his confindence of himself and his team during interviews. I quess it pisses off many people and gives the media a good chance to produce meaningless articles with catchy titles.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well now my opinions. I find him extremely talented and he deserves praise, but I just don't like people braggin like that even tho he gave credit to Rijkaard. A better answer would have been "Let him do his talking on hte pitch, i will do mine in the tactics"

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Well now my opinions. I find him extremely talented and he deserves praise, but I just don't like people braggin like that even tho he gave credit to Rijkaard. A better answer would have been "Let him do his talking on hte pitch, i will do mine in the tactics"
He didn't say anything bad or false. I find it funny how because a man speak the truth no matter how honest it is, he still gets a hiding for it. I'd rather have gaffers like him than the likes of Sir Alex or Wenger for the obvious reasons.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Mourinho said nothing wrong.

I'd tell the Barca playes to stop getting gonny but meh. I don't care,

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I actually like Rijkaard, he was very complimentary of City, and so was Luis Enrique. I still want Chelsea to win though. A mate of mine is going to the away leg, and missing 2 days of college to do so!

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
The Green One said:
I actually like Rijkaard, he was very complimentary of City, and so was Luis Enrique. I still want Chelsea to win though. A mate of mine is going to the away leg, and missing 2 days of college to do so!

~ The Green ;)ne
Hey Green One-

I saw the Man City and Man United replay last night. You guys did well but my sincere apologies on the defeat. Really unlucky own goals.

Fricken United, always getting lucky all the time....

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I dunno, the team who dominates the match in the derby normally loses. Last year we were being battered by them and still won 4-1.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I agree with Pular actually,Mourinho has been great until now but carries on like he's the best ever at times.Confidence is great but thinking you're top sh*t at times gives you the cacca's.To come out and say that about another manager to seems a little disrespectful,but Mourinho however honest he is still has a neiche to say the best things about himself.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts