Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a few years back and its now become a hobby.. Plans to drive up to Tibet and bike back down this summer which should be awesome. You know, MTBing is seen by many as a very stupid sport popularised by keep fit fanatics hell bent on masochism, fitness, masochism and a sense of achievement.. really, this is not in fact the case. Because....... it isn't.

Riding downhill is all about weight distribution, and it's real fun.. plus you can always do a switzerland squeal or Get some Big Air
to attract the opposite sex..

Does anyone else MTB as a pastime?

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I mtb all the time.

I prefer the uphills :eek: because I don't risk asmuch as the young ones downhill;) I always catch up to them when the road goes up :cool:

I am planning a ride through Patagonia during the latter part of March beginning of April. I hope I can pull it off.

As of now, with the cold wheater in the North East of the USA, I am pretty much indoor riding on my taining, but the mtb is now in the mountains of Pennsylvania and New York. A far cry from Spain/France :(

My best ride was two years agon in the French Pyrenees around Col de Soluor. Just awsome. Pics here, under the Pyrenees album: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/therincons/my_photos

I would love to ride where you live, it must be beautiful, not to mention challenging:cool:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Patagonia sounds amazing..

and that's true about riding here.. but a major porblem is that we ahrdly have any roads leading up to the mountains, not even dirt trails.. but you do have alternatives, like taking your bike on a chartered plane up to the Everest region and biking up to basecamp which is really tough.

I'm planning on purchasing a bike.. any reccomendations? I'm looking at a Specialized RockHoppers which my friend tells me is the best buy.. but really haven't a clue. I'm an amateur, btw.. :D

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
There are so many bikes out there its hard to make a recomendation. It all depends on your budget and riding style.

I have a high end bike but with only front suspension, I like a more stable ride and I think that a rear suspension robs of some energy while climbing. I also have medium level components (shimano Detore) as where I ride the terrain is not as demanding.

If you want really hig end, go for dual suspension with something like Shimano XTR components. Something medium would be front suspension (also called hard tail) with Detore components, thois would represent, imo, the best buy.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks barça..

I got round to buying a specialized rockhopper comp at a MASSIVELY reduced price, which I completely reassembled. Obviously with only front suspension and I replaced various medium level components and ofcourse the tires too.. so the end product is extremely light, jsut as I had wanted.

:angel:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts