Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was a thread on BigSoccer, and I got quite interested in it, because it isn't your traditional "best ever list", and included managers, owners, and presidents alongside players. so I did my own version of a few clubs and national teams myself.

Note: national team players and managers will be based off of their performance for the national team, and not overall performance. example: you won't be seeing Zico in Brazil, Messi in Argentina etc. (albeit Messi has won a trophy and Zico was pretty good for Brazil).

anyways, here are my selections for a few clubs and NT's:

Real Madrid: Alfredo Di Stefano, Raul, Santiago Bernabeu, Iker Casillas
Barcelona: Lionel Messi, Pep Guardiola, Joan Gamper, Johan Cruyff
Brazil: Pele, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Mario Zagallo
Italy: Giuseppe Meazza, Paolo Maldini, Gianluigi Buffon, Roberto Baggio
Spain: Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Vincente del Bosque, Luis Aragones
Manchester United: Alex Ferguson, Bobby Charlton, Eric Cantona, Matt Busby
Netherlands: Johan Cruyff, Rinus Michels, Marco van Basten, Wim van Hanegem
Juventus: Gianpiero Boniperti, Alessandro del Piero, Michel Platini, Gianni Agnelli
France: Zinedine Zidane, Michel Platini, Didier Deschamps, Raymond Kopa
Argentina: Diego Maradona, Mario Kempes, Daniel Passarella, Carlos Bilardo
England: Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Stanley Matthews
Germany: Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Fritz Walter, Lothar Matthaus
Bayern: Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Kurt Landauer, Uli Hoeness
Liverpool: Kenny Dalglish, Bob Paisley, Steven Gerrard, Bill Shankly
Inter: Giacinto Facchetti, Helenio Herrera, Javier Zanetti, Giuseppe Meazza
Milan: Paolo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Gianni Rivera, Silvio Berlusconi
Ajax: Johan Cruyff, Sjaak Swart, Jack Reynolds, Rinus Michels
Hungary: Ferenc Puskas, Sandor Kocsis, Jozsef Bozsik, Nandor Hidegkuti
Chelsea: Roman Abramovic, Jose Mourinho, Frank Lampard, John Terry
Santos: Pele, Carlos Alberto, Zito, Pepe
Arsenal: Arsene Wenger, Herbert Chapman, Thierry Henry, Tony Adams
Flamengo: Zico, Junior, Leandro, Dida

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
Not bad, it requires some extra knowledge

Sampdoria: Paolo Mantovani, Vujadin Boskov, Roberto Mancini, Gianluca Vialli

The one certainty is Paolo Mantovani, the other ones might be open for a debate but I suppose 95% of sampdoriani would confirm

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
The suggestion regarding Juventus was semi-serious but the one regarding Milan was absolutely serious. Berlusconi made the Milan you know with huge investments. No club in Europe spent what Berlusconi spent in the 80s and 90s. He won by hiring the best he could find around him.

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
I try more:

Roma: Francesco Totti for sure, probably Niels Liedholm, probably the 8th king of Rome Paulo Roberto Falcao and maybe the chairman Dino Viola

Lazio is even more difficult, I try one but it is hard, very hard. I think Tommaso Maestrelli, the coach of the scudetto of 1973/1974 can't be left out, similarly Giorgio Chinaglia can't be left out. I choose Alessandro Nesta and the most winning coach, that means Svengo Eriksson.

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
Rivera is untouchable, he represents the other Milan, the one which won (less) without an owner like Berlusconi. Sacchi represents a new winning idea of football, but Maldini and Baresi are two huge bandiere. I'd leave out Sacchi.

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
Parma: the infamous but winning owner Calisto Tanzi (again, no Tanzi no party) , the coach Nevio Scala, the captain Lorenzo Minotti. Not sure about the remaining one as many champions played for Parma but none identified with the club to the extent to be considered bandiere of Parma. Out of them I might choose Fabio Cannavaro or Hernan Crespo.

·
Registered
18,605 Posts
I have to say I threw up a little when I read Berlusconi and Abramovic. You might as well put the CEO of their respective banks, or the people they screwed to get to the top.

For Real Madrid, I'm sure in their long and illustrious history there is someone more deserving than Iker.

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
Fiorentina: Giancarlo Antognoni, Gabriel Omar Batistuta and Kurt Hamrin are certainties. The fourth choice is harder. I might choose the coach of the first scudetto Fulvio Bernardini.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say I threw up a little when I read Berlusconi and Abramovic. You might as well put the CEO of their respective banks, or the people they screwed to get to the top.

For Real Madrid, I'm sure in their long and illustrious history there is someone more deserving than Iker.
1. oh C'mon! Abramovic saved Chelsea!
2. perhaps Francisco Gento, Vincente del Bosque, CR7, or Jose Antonio Camacho

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
In a list which can include the chairman/owner these two (and others) cannot be left out whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
62,708 Posts
total nonsense the names under Hungary. it should be some of these

Jimmy Hogan, Alfred Brüll, György Orth, György Sárosi, Béla Gutmann, Gusztáv Sebes, László Kubala, Ernö Erbstein

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
Hard to leave out Moratti Sr for Inter (he even influenced his son to go for another European Cup). Very difficult who of those four to leave out, though (and Bergomi isn't even there).

For Juve, there's Trap - made them the international powerhouse. Though he's not really a "club man"

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
Did Franco Sensi almost bankrupt the family to win the Scudetto and later keep the club affloat, or was that propaganda?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts