Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
I was gonna make a thread about this a while back but on retired players.

Funny how players like Elber, Trezeguet, Paolo Montero etc were pretty lauded at the time but have practically been forgotten about.
I would scrap him. He's still mentioned now and then and exactly in the tier he deserves.

·
Administrator
52,913 Posts
Well, since you were 2-3 years old when he carried Brøndby to the UEFA Cup semifinal and Denmark to the EURO win, I’ll forgive you for saying that ;)
He has a point tho, and I'm old enough to remember (everything post world cup 94).

Peter was defenitely really overrated during peak Man U years (not his, but their peak successful years). Clear top goalie for most of his career, but never saw proof of being the best which they constantly tried to hype him as, not when he was clearly shaky so often.

·
Registered
56,150 Posts
just go and read real madrid forum and you will find many underrated players.

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
He has a point tho, and I'm old enough to remember (everything post world cup 94).

Peter was defenitely really overrated during peak Man U years (not his, but their peak successful years). Clear top goalie for most of his career, but never saw proof of being the best which they constantly tried to hype him as, not when he was clearly shaky so often.
Schmeichel’s peak was during the early 90’s. Best keeper in the world awards 91 and 92. As I said, he was amazing during the 1st half of the 90’s, playing at a level I haven’t seen since then.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
just go and read real madrid forum and you will find many underrated players.
True! Nobody is ever good enough for the fan base :D Even Pele would have gotten booed on the Bernabeu every match he didn't score in.

Reactions: mali

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
Schmeichel’s peak was during the early 90’s. Best keeper in the world awards 91 and 92. As I said, he was amazing during the 1st half of the 90’s, playing at a level I haven’t seen since then.
Schemical is the greatest keeper I've seen, by far. I've seen every second of his career at Man United. I remember him saying in 1994 he felt like he was invincible. He was winning games for United with 3-4 insane saves per match.

When Newcastle was 12 points clear in 1996. Newcastle created several one on ones and he saved them all. It was shooting practice for Newcastle for 60 mins. Schmeichel saved everything and Newcastle just gave up. Didn't even bother to attack for the last 30mins. The match is one of the most memorable in the history of both teams. Just listen to any Newcastle player about the 96 season and you will hear how good big Pete was.

During 1998 he went to the world cup in France after playing a full season in England. He had no rest and at the start of the 98/99 season he made mistakes like the ones against Sheffield Wednesday. Sir Alex granted him a holiday and he missed games during the winter. When he came back he got his invincible feeling back and Man United won the treble (didn't lose a match after his return). The greatest ever season for an English side. Big Pete lifted the trophy with Sir Alex. Remarkable!

Add that to what he did for Denmark at the Euros. He truely deserves to be called a legend.

Kasper is good, but he's only 30-35 percent as good as his father. I often hear callers on MUTV saying he's a perfect back up goalie and United should sign him.

If you take his 92-96 form into today, then his transfer fee would be upwards of €150m. He was that good. I've not seen a keeper even close to him in my lifetime.

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I agree that Peter in his prime is the greatest keeper at least in my lifetime.

Re: Kasper, I think he’s much better than that. As Mo mentioned, he’s had a weird career, but what he did for Leicester to help win the title was huge, and what he’s doing for Denmark and did at the World Cup has been of the highest level.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I agree about Schmeichel at his best, in the 1992 Euro it was just ridiculous. I was not following him in club football until around 95-96, so don't really know about that.

Other goalkeepers who were absolutely outstanding in tournaments were Toldo in the 2000 Euro and, perhaps even more so because of how influential he was in the play, Neuer in the 2016 WC.

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
I agree that Peter in his prime is the greatest keeper at least in my lifetime.

Re: Kasper, I think he’s much better than that. As Mo mentioned, he’s had a weird career, but what he did for Leicester to help win the title was huge, and what he’s doing for Denmark and did at the World Cup has been of the highest level.
I think Kasper is quality too. But if he were transfered to an elite club, I don't think he'll go for more than €50m - €60m. The fact that he's still at Leicester is also telling + United fans see him as a potential #2.

No doubt he's in the top 10 of keepers in the world today. But there are a bunch ahead of him.

In big Pete's day there was nobody close to him. It's a shame he didn't go to USA'94. Just like France and Cantona. Both were at their peak.

Also Schmeichel should've stayed at Man Utd 2-3 more years. They really needed him. But it highlights how good he was as Utd struggled to replace him.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Here's another one, Alexandru Mitrita.

·
Registered
32,334 Posts
Toldo was perhaps a little underrated. Italy had many good ones at the time, Peruzzi, Pagliuca, Marchegiani..

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Toldo was perhaps a little underrated. Italy had many good ones at the time, Peruzzi, Pagliuca, Marchegiani..
Yeah amazing talent. Even today it’s not too shaky for them with young keepers like Donnarumma and Meret.

Another current absolutely top GK now is Sirigu. Probably not underrated as he was bought by PSG when building a super squad and remains an Italy NT player, but most people still have no idea who he is.

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
I don't think Toldo was underrated.

Italy did have massive depth in keepers. I also like Luca Bucci, I kinda remember him messing up his NT chance.

OK, I give a list of underrated players from the past.

Zoltán Czibor - Best winger ever. Imagine Figo with lighting pace and CR7 skill.
Brian Laudrup - Overshadowed by his brother. But had amazing quality and could've done it at a bigger club than Rangers.
Tibor Tisza - For about 5 transfer windows straight he always got injured. He should have produced his art in a much more visable league.
Steve Bruce - I think everyone agrees on that

·
Registered
32,334 Posts
I will always like Brian more than Michael because of my age, didn't experience the Danish Dynamite team first hand, Michael wasn't at Euro 1992, Brian was much more dedicated and more useful in a Danish team full of knuckleheads in the early-mid 1990s, and furthermore I didn't like Barca/Madrid.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts