Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an interesting question for you here, I'm sure I'll get a large variety of answers here :D

Which overseas club has the largest supporter base in Australia, and I mean people who actually have a foreign (mostly English, but also some others) club to support and show their support openly (without being bandwagon jumpers). Of course, the responses I'm expecting are Man United and Liverpool, but let's see which other clubs have substantial support Down Under.

Secondly, how about breaking down the support by state and by city to see which clubs are most popular in which places :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Im assuming DV that you want us to state our favourite o/s clubs, right?

Well then, here goes.....

Greece - Panathinaikos
England - Everton
Italy - AC Milan
Spain - Real Madrid
Argentina - River Plate
France - Monaco
Scotland - Celtic

These are the teams that i keep an eye on when the weekend results come out in the papers ;)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the reason I asked is because I wanted to find out the diversity of fans in Australia as far as clubs supported followed goes. I didn't mean list each person's favourite clubs in each country, I meant which are the most popular overseas clubs among fans in your area and which overseas clubs have most followers nationally.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well many Italiano's in Perth support Juventus, everywhere you go at a Glory game you see Juventus merchandise :D I am sure this is the same in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne as well. I am sure Juve would be one of the most popular overseas clubs here.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, Juventus would surely be one of the most popular. :)

Needless to say, so would the standard Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well most young female fans outside Britain seem to support Man United and Liverpool for some reason, but the young male fans can support a greater diversity of clubs- Arsenal, Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, Southampton, Leeds, Sunderland, Blackburn, West Ham, etc.

Yeah Juventus seems to be the most popular of all Italian clubs, though I'm not sure who'd be second out of Inter, Milan, Lazio or Roma...

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I am guessing the Milanese clubs would be the second most popular Italian clubs. I see plenty of Milan and Inter shirts around the place and I know many fans of Milan and Inter.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about support of English clubs in WA? Is it just Man U and Liverpool, or is there some diversity of support?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I know of a few Scousers, and a couple of Man United fans, they are popular here I would assume, as there are many English here of course. There are a few Arsenal and Chelsea supporters, but apart from those 4 teams, I don't know many other supporters.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting, considering the huge British ex-pat population in WA. Sometimes I feel I'm the only Evertonian in the whole Sydney, and I'm not even a Scouser :D

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Well ... I'm a dyed in the wool Newcastle United man and have been since just after the Keegan revolution began (when we were in the old second division, I was 11 or 12) although I always took a passing interest in our results as a youngster before then.

I have been ridiculed by shopkeepers: - "Newcastle?? Who are they? All we have are Man U and Liverpool shirts" ...

... and my British friends: - "Pffft Noocassle ... they are sh1te ... you could've at least picked a decent side"

... but worst of all I am now getting accused of being a Johnny-come-lately bandwagon jumper because I am wearing some of my Newcastle stuff out and about ... I mean sh1t, I would wear my old circa early-to-mid 90s Newcastle Brown Ale shirt but it doesn't fit and it's falling apart :rolleyes:

But ah well ya get that ... I fookin' h8te S*nderland and I love the Toon and hope to get to SJP some day ... Howay the lads!!! ;)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I think fans need to do more thinking of themselves, and maybe by explaining to peole there are clubs other than Merchandise United and Boringpool you'll enrich their football knowledge :D

BTW dyertribe, whereabouts do you live in Australia?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Adelaide :depress:

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess Adelaide is a pretty nice place to see, wouldn't mind going there some day. Still, wherever you go in Australia we find quality food and drink which is a great source of national pride :)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I would think Real Madrid (not surprisingly) would have to be included in the list. I've seen quite a few people around donning various editions of the famous jersey

And Dave (welcome BTW....i know you have been @ XT for a long time...as i've seen you participating in the various Kafka threads but have not really seen you here before..........did you only just discover the Ozzie forum ;) :tongue: ) i completely agree with you about the glory hunters. Unfortunately the media (including SBS) are largely responsible for that :sigh: )

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The very first game of English football that i can clearly remember watching was the 1986 FA Cup Final between Liverpool and Everton. And because Everton were wearing the same colours as South Melbourne, i chose to support them ;)

And even though times have been tough for the Toffees since then, i have always proudly said that im an Evertonian :) :D

If there is one thing i hate, it is "bang-wagon" supporters!!:fero:

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I support Everton because of its traditions and because I root for the underdog. I have a soft spot for Arsenal, because I prefer them to win instead of Man U and Liverpool and because their strict wage structure should be for all clubs to follow. It's Liverpool that I despise more than anyone :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think that there would be a huge supporter base for clubs like Hajduk split and Dinamo Zagreb due to the large Croatian community here. Melbourne knights fans are modelled on the fans of these clubs.!!!

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
the pool, Real Madrid and Olympiakos, they are the only 3 teams I can say I barrack for, other than that I just like to watch good teams play good footy!

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's hardly surprising Greek, Italian, Croatian, Chilean and Turkish clubs get large support here because of the large immigrant communities we've got.

Well imported fan culture is welcome here, so long as you keep the unsavoury aspects of it out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts