Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who does everyone think is the most over rated players in the world?

Here is 2 to start with

Carsten Janker - This guy is awful! I know Germany are not what they used to be, but how does he manage to get a game? Does he have incriminating photo's of Rudi Voller, 'doing a Daum' :confused: :D His only strong point is his size, and even there he is not that great in the air!

Nakata - He is by no means a bad player, quite good infact, but no way does he live up to his reputation. Would he have played for the clubs he has, and be a major part of Nike adverts etc, if he was not Japanese? (and his huge commercial appeal) He has not been a regular in Serie A for a couple of seasons, was pretty poor at World Cup '98 and it remains to be seen whether he can play well at this WC. I wouldn't even class him as the best Japanese player, never mind one of the top stars of the world!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Edgar Davids
Carsten Jancker
Fabian Barthez

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
i think OWEN is very overrated
How so ?

He's scored over 100 goals for Liverpool and he's 22.

At the age of 18 he scored on of the greatest goals in world cup history.

A legendry hat trick against Germany :)

Get your facts right mate before you open your mouth.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I have always thought that Hakan Sukur was an overrated player. Whenever commentators are talking about the top players on our national team, he is always the first one mentionned, and although he has a strike rate of a goal every other game, he has a tendency to be very withdrawn in many games.

Pippo Inzaghi is also an overrated player, and I am not sure why he is starting on the Italian NT over Montella.

I am glad that Bastin mentionned Davids. Although a lot of people think that he is a world-class player, I have never been impressed with his style of play (lots of running, with no creativity).

And Del Piero is a guy who I have never been impressed with in the Italian team.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Russell said:

How so ?

He's scored over 100 goals for Liverpool and he's 22.

At the age of 18 he scored on of the greatest goals in world cup history.

A legendry hat trick against Germany :)

Get your facts right before you open your mouth.
ouch, cool down man.

i hear alot about him being one of the greatest players in the world, i don't think he's that good. he fast and a pretty good goalscorer, but he's not a world class striker IMO.

i don't think his goal against argentina was that good either.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
How can [email protected] be overrated?

Overrated?

Rivaldo. Pippo Inzaghi. David Beckham.

Jancker is overrated? But WHO rates Jancker highly? I consider him a huge tumbler devoid of any talent whatsoever, and I've always thought that about him. His very presence in the german NT is a testimony to their decadence, sorry if this annoys German fans. :)

So I don't understand how Jancker can be overrated - does anyone really consider him a good player?!?!?!? :eekani: I fail to believe even Völler thinks he's good; I actually think he was only called up for lack of better options...
:tongue: :rolleyes:

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
tarmpropp said:
i hear alot about him being one of the greatest players in the world, i don't think he's that good. he fast and a pretty good goalscorer, but he's not a world class striker IMO.
I have never said that he's one of the best players in the world. I don't know anyone that does - even Liverpool fans. I think that he has a long way to go to reach the heights of Henry, Vieri, or Batistuta up front. I even rate, dare I say, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, higher. :eek:

tarmpropp said:
i don't think his goal against argentina was that good either.
Have you even seen it? It was amazing.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Pele
Cruyff
Maradona

Well overrated, people describe them as gods but Ive never seen them walk on water.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I think that Pelé, Cruyff and Maradona were (and are) over-rated. That they were the best players of their respective times, there is no doubt, with the possible exception of Cruyff, but, these three are repeatedly called the three greatest players of all time.

Why?

Many players were better than Cruyff and Maradona, at least, in the 76 years between the foundation of the FA, and the Second World War. That everyone forgets that football existed is an outrage. I rate Cliff Bastin as the second best player of all-time, after Sir Stanley Matthews. Many ridicule me because of my opinion, but, they have just claims.

Cliff Bastin scored 150 goals in 363 league games. This isn't too spectacular, but there were numerous reasons as to why this tally was so low:

1. He was a left winger, not a striker.
2. He was 26 upon the outbreak of war, so lost 7 of the best years of his career.
3. He suffered from hearing problems, and major ligament injuries.
4. Arsenal shared many goals around the team.

There is also the pattern of the position of the best players. All of the five previously-mentioned, were attack-minded. Two were out-and-out strikers. The other three were attacking midfielders or wingers. No mention of defenders, and certainly not of goalkeepers.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Russell said:

Then buy some glasses mate.
the finish was good, but he just ran. he didn't really dribble, the defenders were arfaid to touch him cause he would have gone down like he did earlier. a good goal, but not a world cup classic IMO

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Generally players that play great in World Cups, but are not so highly regarded beforehand, end up as busts.

Denilson and Okocha, for example, had very large transfer fees after WC98, and neither could ever meet their expectations with Betis and PSG.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Deniz said:
Denilson and Okocha, for example, had very large transfer fees after WC98, and neither could ever meet their expectations with Betis and PSG.
Dudee denilson joined betis b4 the world cup

Lav

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Actually, to be picky, I believe Denilson was purchased from Sao Paulo before the WC 98, but didnt' join BEtis until after the tournament. Something like that, anyway.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I thought that he was transferred during the World Cup, from Sao Paulo to Real Betis:confused:, after he played several times for Brazil, but before the final.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Who said Raul is overrated? If something, he's UNDERRATED, because he hasn't yet won any Golden Boot when he deserves it

1 - 20 of 178 Posts