1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Veron is pretty overrated...

F

·
0 Posts
Veron is not overrated!! he is the best player in the world right mow and for years to come. obviously you don't know too much about soccer eh!
FORZA LAZIO

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Zidane is the most overrated player. He scored two goals in the world cup final that´s the only right he have done in his career.

S

·
0 Posts
most underrated would be del piero........most overrated would probably be crespo......he's gonna get signed for the big bucks and tehn dissapoint..........one season doesn't make a superstar.....and that's why batigol is rated as a superstar.........

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Crespo is not overrated,he is overpriced.Last year he scored 26 goals in all competitikons,no other forward scored as much as him...and this year he played didnt stop scoring!

As for Del Piero underrated you have to be joking!

The most overrated player is Demetrio Albertini...

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
i was expecting Pessotto or Inzaghi from you AMOROSO!:)

Maby Sergio Conceicao, he can't even hold down a starting role at the portugal national team.

OR Mihajlovic he is one of the best free-kick takers of the world, but he is not realy the best at defending...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Pessotto nd Inzaghi are not overrated simply because noone actually rates them high.:)

On the other hand you'll see many milanistas raving about how greet Albertini is...thats what I call overrated.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The reason we milanisti think Albertini is great is because he knows his job and does it well. He doesnt try to be a flair player or a midfield enforcer or anything that he isnt. His job is to sit in midfield, break up attacks and distribute the ball, not much more and nothing less. As far as I'm concerned he is great at his job and has been for going on a decade now. This season we struggled in midfield because he was out of form. Sometimes you dont really notice he is there, but that is when he is working well, things tick along quite nicely in midfield without much fuss. That is why we think he is great, he is not a Veron, or a Zidane or a Rui Costa, he is just plain old Demetrio Albertini, midfielder for AC Milan who does his job.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I agreeed with Tapi there, yeah Amo, please, sometimes, it's a tedious job to read your post on how crap albertini is, give it a go, will ya? we all know that already. and some people beg to differ, and yeah, I didn't see albertini brag about how good he is, unlike some players. and yeah, only milanista raved about how good he is, because he is. but blame us, I didn't see the media talked about him all the time.
for me, before, it was ronaldo, that guy didn't see much action nowadays, now, I think it's nakata. man! just becos he's asian, everybody think he's the one. people talked about him all the time. and zidane is there too.
ciao!

S

·
0 Posts
crespo is a fluke.....as soon as the next season starts he'll prove it......I'm not saying he's not great.....but he's no vieri.....ur probably gonna say vieri didn't do **** this season......but vieri IS rated properly.....he IS overpayed.....but crespo is worth 19 million $ AT THE MOST.....vieri is worth 27 million $ AT THE MOST......whoever's gonna sign crspo, if anyone, will be hurt later...............and as much as i don't like juve, u have to say inzaghi isn't rated highlty and everyone knows he's not that good.....but pessotto has excellent one-on-one sklls.....remember his job on zidane in the world cup?? pretty impressive.........and del piero is definately underrated.....if juve had one more good midfielder, they'd have inzaghi on the bench and zidane behind del piero instead of del piero behind inzaghi.....juve know that, and if they make a good signing (just one) they can be unstoppable.....as much as i despise them.....

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Wait a minute,I didnt say Albertini is bad (although I believe it) just tell me WHAT exactly albertini does,what is exactly his job that he does it so well...he is not a ball winner (like Almeyda) and he is not a play-maker (like Redondo).He doesnt score (like Simeone) and he doesnt mark (like Vieira),he doesnt run all the time (like Davids) or deliver great passes from midfield (like Guardiola) .He only stays in the ceneter midfield and makes occasionally a good pass.Well,if a player like him is a starter at one of Italy's biggest club and the national team apart from a mystery to me,its a kind of being overrated.Compare him to any of the players I mentioned above and you'll see how poor Albertini is.

River,the topic title is who is in your opinion the most overrated player.Well,in my opinion its Albertini.In your opinion could be Crespo.I say what I think and you say what you think,then we discuss it...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Sane,we agree.You say it yourself,Crespo is great (your words) but he is not worth 60$,thats overpriced,not overated...and I agree!

Noone said Crespo is better than Vieri.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Albertini, well what to say about his role.

In the simplest possible terms all I can say is this. In any midfield, there willbe the work which, while not spectacular or breathtaking, is nonetheless necessary. The simple dropping back to pick up a ball from a defender and playing another midfielder in, or tackling back and giving a two or three yard pass to someone else. The donkey work if you will, but the work from which the rest of the play emanates. In the strictest sense, he is AC Milan's playmaker, not the fantasista with which the term is now asociated, but the guy who will pick up the loose ends, do the running up and down the pitch to get the ball and get something going. A player like Boban, supremely gifted as he is will never come tackling back to win the ball to show us his skill, and as much as Ambrosini is a defensive midfielder whose job is to break up attacks, we have in Albertini a guy who just keeps the ball rolling, little passes here and there, some tackles now and again. I can understand you think he is not good, that's fine, he doesnt play for Parma and so you cannot see what he does for Milan the way I do. You say he is overrated, thats perfectly okay too, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and thats what is great about football, not everyone agrees on everything. I will say this however, Albertini has been rubbished in the press this season, in fact he has been rubbish this season, he never really got into his job. I generally regard the Italian press to be the most demanding around and they have all complimented Albertini on his work at the European Championships. Maybe you should take a look at what he is doing next time he plays, little cleaning up jobs and the such like, the kind of work his fellow players appreciate. Play on Demetrio.....

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Maybe in all these years I have seen Albertini play with Milan and the national team I fail to see his qualities...I'll try to notice him next time Italy plays (although it is very hard to notice someone who does nothing) and then we'll speak...

Have you ever thought that other players like Guardiola or Mendieta can do these tiny things like a 3 yard pass or a good tackle as well some other more important things? I guess not...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Guardiola and Mendieta are surely excellent players. I am not going to sit here and deny that because that would be ridiculous. Of course I have considered the job they do for their teams and veru good jobs they are. But consider this, what happens to Barca when Guardiola doesnt play well, or to Valencia (although I havent watched enough of them over a few seasons to really judge)when these guys dont play well or when they are off their game. When Guardiola is lacking rythmn, things dont flow smoothly in Barca's play, the same happens for us with Demetrio. If you think he is crap, overrated etc, thats alright. I see what he does and it has brought Milan 5 scudetto and a champions league with him in our midfield so if he does nothing and we can achieve this, then carry on doing nothing I say. Seriously though, we'll obviously never agree on this so this is the end of my posts on matter so thanks for the debate and good luck to your boys at Parma next season.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I say that Amoroso himself in Parma is overrated. But not Zizou. He plays worldclass soccer in the Euro 2000.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I think that noone can tell if Amoroso is a good player or not.This year is not to be taken into consideration because a player who is half the year out can never play up to his level when he returns.So right now we really dont know if he is among the best forwards or worst than Inzaghi.Lets see him next year and we can judge.

Tapi,obviusly we cant agree...so lets leave this debate.However,I'll watch closely Albertini for the rest of the euro and then I'll tell you my conclusions...although its really hard to notice Albertini.

S

·
0 Posts
Sorry Amo, I don't want to criticise but this is my opinion.
I absolutely agree with Tapi. I think he really understand what kind of a player albertini is and his job perfectly. what do u think when Sacchi said this during his reign as the Italy's coach? He said : The 3 indispensable player in the Italian squad are R.Baggio, F.Baresi, and TADA!! Albertini. Hey, i'm not supporting albertini base on Sacchi's opinion.
Albertini's different and so is his gameplay and role in the midfield. He is not the kind of player that will make immediate impact and impresses scouts during short tourneys.
This is bcoz he is not very skillful(Zidane), don't possess much flair in attacking(Veron), the tireless workrate of winning balls(Davids), the magic of say..Hagi..., or the very, very brilliant passes of Guardiola or Stojkovic. This is bcoz he is the mixture of those qualities possessed by them that makes him a balance midfielder. Though i see him as something quite similar to Guardiola.
Albertini's game is build on consistency(but lacking in this season) which he shows for over a decade. He neutralises the opponents midfield's threat, and he gives teammates the feeling of calmness, control and assurance.
And all the other values highlighted by Tapi is absolutely what albertini's gameplay is build upon. Only the coaches of the team can value albertini's contribution after working along with him.
That is why he doesn't have a lot of admirers (when there isn't much to admire about his skills, flair, workrate etc) and for that matter, hatters too. He is a soothing figure in midfield and u won't notice that much if u don't see his overall contribution in the games.
He is just an overall balance midfielder, not defensive mid or attacking mid either. simple as that, but difficult to take notice coz he is not flashy and not exciting to watch too. He is not a potential match winner, nor decisive in outcome of result. He is a cleaner(like what tapi said), midfield guardian, calmer, the string that attach the midfield together, and the engine to initialize the attacking and defensive moves.

but anyway, just curious, why did Albertini clasiffied as over rated when he is not highly rated or boasted by anyone, even the milan fans ? bcoz he is just simply in the first 11 of every team he played in and also with different coaches ? if that's so...those coaches could see his value and contribution and the confidence they have in him.

if u want one name of an over rated player that is : BECKHAM
even George Best amaze us with his stunning critic on him...
which is true ( my opinion )

[Edited by Shevy7 on 22-06-2000 at 11:14]

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Amo,

just one last addition to the albertini topic, just wanted to answer AMO here. Yeah, I agree that it's everybody's opinion about who's the most over-rated player is.... but I read your post in national team... albertini sux, zoff's idiot to choose albertini in the team, worst italian midfielder, lazy, just like a statue.. it's just all these posts accumulate your feeling about albertini, and thus, my post to asked you to take it easy cos everybody in the board knows about your feeling, and yeah, it's quite tedious to hear about it from you.
I agreed totally with Tapi and Shevy7 . I rest my case. We'll never agree, but at least I agreed with you about ambrosini, he's great.
ok, another addition: david beckie. phew! like he's another God or something, and matthaus. he way past his prime.
ciao!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts