Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After writing a few posts I was wondering what your most memorable pool goals were and your most memorable non-pool goals.

Mine:

The pool:

1) Macca versus Celtic - I remember coming home from football training to watch this and was devistated when we went behind. Our team looked bad and then in the dying minutes Macca ran half the length of the pitch with the ball before planting a left foot shot in off the post from about 18 yards. What a great goal but I originally thought it had missed and when I realised it was in I jumped up and celebrated wildly before falling to the floor with cramp in my calf. then I celebrated on the floor (in pain).

2) Stan Collymore vs Newcastle - strangely enough I was happy enough that the game was ending in a score draw and was called downstairs by my Mam. I explained what had happened whilst turning the channel to the football. Then it happened Barnes to Rush to Barnes to Collymore and then bam. I think i scared my mother half to death but what a feeling of complete and utter joy.

3) Robbie Fowler versus Newcastle - 3-0 up and cruising. Macca having a stormer, Fowler playing well and then the collapse. James' worst match (yet wasn't really highlighted) and they were back in it. After thinking that I would be nice to my friend who supported the Toon I was now very angry. My Brother came in and laughed and then it happened. Bjornabyes pin-point cross and then Fowler who wanted it most. I felt guilty that I celabrated as I was so angry but did anyway.

There are others i.e. Ruddock versus Man U, Macca versus Arsenal, Fowler versus Aston V (x2), Walters in Europe, Macca against Bolton (x2), Thomas against Sunderland.

The others:

Michael Thomas versus Liverpool (let's never speak of this again.

Roberto Carlos versus France - le tourneu - initially I thought that it was way wide and then sat stunned in disbelief as it arched in. the best goal I have ever seen in my life.

Saleed Owarhan (spelling??) vesrsus Belgium - always routing for the underdogs I wanted Saud A to beat Belgium (even though I liked Preud-Homme). When this guy started getting past players there was a feeling of inevitability.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Terry McDermot v Aberdeen in Pittodrie in the European Cup (think it was 1980/81). That season he also scored that mad goal against Spurs. Then there was a Ronnie Whelan left foot net buster (again against Spurs) on a Championship day in Anfield.

Course for me the one goal of all time is Ray Houghton for Ireland against England in Euro88. I was lucky enough to be there too.

C

·
0 Posts
Any of King Kennys goals will do for me , even goals he made for others ........
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh to have a Kenny Dalglish
in our side now, imagine !
Macca's V Celtic was a bit special too.
Any of the goals from the mid to late eighties teams , where it was all one touch and 4 or 5 players involved as opposed to individual goals , would stick in my mind more so.
PS: Badge you where in Germany for the match ? Must have been unforgettable day and night ! Where yo there for the other matches or just this one ? This country have never been the same since those nights , we will never relive they craic of that time !

·
Registered
818 Posts
There were many Liverpool goals that tore me apart (whatever that means).

Fowler v Villa, Anfield (1995/96)
In the 1995/96 season, Robbie Fowler scored twice in Liverpool's 3-0 win over Aston Villa at Anfield (all three goals coming in the opening seven minutes, Steve M got the other). Fowler's first goal was probably the best I've seen that season. He received a pass from midfield with Steve Staunton (with Villa then) on him. With a deft touch, he flicked the ball past Staunton and advanced on goal, before unleashing a full-blooded shot from 30 yards out with his outer foot. The ball sailed in as Mark Bosnich only managed grasping the air. The verdict from the commentator (I think is Martin Tyler): SCREAMER.

McManaman v Newcastle, St James Park (1997/98)
McManaman scored twice in this game to help Liverpool win 2-1. Both goals were brilliant, but his first was absolutely out of the world. Fowler threaded a pass through. The ball was in mid air 30 yards out, and Macca just blasted in in with breaking stride. A volley in from 30 yards out? Must be extradordinary.

For impact's sake, Stan Collymore's and Fowler's injury time efforts against Newcastle in successive 4-3 wins are worth mentioning.

Patrik Berger scored a number of great goals, but he scored twice on his Anfield debut against Chelsea, and had one in the UEFA Cup against Valencia (in the 85st minute, 2-2 FT, Liverpool won on away goals - incidents were Ince and Macca both got red-carded in injury time, Liverpool lost to Celta Vigo in the next round 4-1 on agg, @#$%).

Perhaps the most memorable personal goal-scoring show was at Goodison Park, Everton 0 Liverpool 5... who scored four? Think about it!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Con

I was at all those games yep, even went to the final itself. Went to USA94 too. Never made Italia90 though. Went to France98 for some reason even though we were'nt there! Been to a lot of Irelands big ones...Anfield play off, Wembley, Brussels play off, World cups, Euros, qualifiers etc etc. Always a laugh.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Houghton's goal versus Italy was a very memorable goal.

S

·
0 Posts
I thought there was one goal that John Barnes got at Southampton (a total fluke though) that was pretty memotable. He placed the ball in from the half way line, aided by the wind and a bad clearance from Saints GK Beasant.

Petty they don't have such keepers nowadays.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talking about Barnes what about that bicycle kick he scored (against Blackburn I think). The edge of the area.....wow!!
Fowlers against Arsenal this year was sweet as well.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
My top 5 Liverpool Goals

5. Macca Vs Arsenal - All I remember of this goal is that someone (I think it was Fowler) played a long 45 yard ball, and Macca smashed it on the volley past Seaman to give us a 1-0 win vs the Arse.

4. Thomas V Sunderland - He owed us this goal, and what great play by Macca to chip it into the area for Thomas to smash home one of the best goals seen at Wembley.

3. Clough V Mancs - The first (and only) time Clough showed us what he could do, with a sweet shot past Schmiechal to begin what was a fantastic comeback for Liverpool.

2. Ruddock V Mancs - What can I say about this man, his determination and commitment to the Liverpool cause was one of the highlights of the 90's for me. Nobody was going to stop him from putting his head on this goal that brought us back to 3-3. Fantastic!

1. Fowler V Mancs - This was back in the so called Spice Boys age, when Fowler was sporting that stupid bleach blonde haircut. The ball came down the left wing, he used his strength to make Gary Neville look like the clown he is and smashed a shot past their flapping red nosed keeper into the top left corner.

Other Goals .

Van Basten's goal stands out in the European Championships, Barnes freekick V Holland at Wembley, Gazza's freekick to Platt V Belgium in 1990, Gazza's 35 yard Freekick against Arsenal in FA cup Semi.

I could go on, but I won't! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts