Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this board, so I apologise to any of the Mods if this topic has been done before.

Who is the most improved Gooner this season? There are several candidates:

Edu: Has played brilliantly at times in the centre with Paddy, and he appears to have grown in stature, and gained a new sense of belief.

Slyvain Wiltord: Covered admirably for Freddie of the right side of midfield, and weighed in with his share of goals and assists.

Igors Stepanovs: After some shocking performances, notably at Old Trafford last year, Igors has played well and showed himself to be usefull cover.

Oleg Luzhny: Like Stepanovs, he turned in some pretty p*ss poor performances last year, and has also now proved he is a usefull back up player.

Any thought, or players I have overlooked?

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Though he was still a class player last season, I think that Pires has been something else this season. Everyone I know thinks that he should've won the PFA Players' Player, but the Football Writers' Award will have to do...

·
Registered
66 Posts
for me bob pires has to be the most improved player in europe, i cant think of anybody else who has performed so well at a consistent level. his passing is superb, he's a clinical finsiher and he has had 14 assists without taking corners or free kicks. i'm really gutted for him that he'll miss the run in and the world cup.
i think lauren has done pretty well this season, i play for my team at right back and playing at left back(like he has for 4 months) is really hard.
i always had faith that edu would come good, so much so that i wrote a letter to arsenal saying he should play!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't put Pires and I suppose Sol Campbell on the list! I'd have to say Pires, for obvious reasons ;), but Sol is close behind and Edu could have been even better than he is now if he had had more playing time. Who knows what players will stand out next year? My guess- Jeffers will be the stand out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Most improved players??
1. Pires. Gave more assists than anyone else in EPL. Successfully completed more dribble than anyone else in EPL.

2. Freddie. His positioning is getting better. Always be there for a goal. His passing also improved.

3. Campbell. He is a rock in our defence.

Obviously Pires is the most improved player, coz this is his 2nd season in EPL and he performed very well.

I think most of our players are improved. Lauren, Edu, and Henry also improved, but we have not seen their best yet. Henry and Edu still have more to offer. Give them 1 more season, then Henry will be sharper and Edu will be smarter.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Pires has obviously been the outstanding player this season, but as far as most improved player, I'd have to say Stepanovs because he has gone from being persona non grata into someone who I personally don't mind seeing as cover for the regular centre-backs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me its got to be Sol Campbell.He got alot of stick when moving from spurs to Arsenal,Plus he wasent playing to well when he first arrived!

Now he's our main centre back and without him this season Arsenal would have struggled

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i would say by far pires
and lets hope he'll get even better
to bad for the injury

but campball has to be second
you cant really tell if his improved totally
what if his always been that good at hotspurs but it was never seen because it was at sucha crappier team then arsenal?
maybe since he got at arsenal people started to reconise his talents more
i have known his always been a rock solid defender, from all the NT matches so yea
we'll have to see next year just how much he REALLY improves as a gunner

·
Registered
155 Posts
My vote goes to Pires, or maybe Freddie....

·
Registered
84 Posts
A tough question to answer...I mean, how does one gauge one's response? Most improved hair style? Thierry H's microphone afro wins that one hands down...I just wished he'd kept it and grown it bigger, Jackson5 style. Most improved interview technique? Bobby Pires seems to have mastered enough English to say 'I don't speak English very well', so there goes that one.....oh...I see, you mean in terms of football talent....o.k.....Ljungberg, Pires, Henry have carried on improving from last season that much is obvious. For me, the most improved player has to be...........

EDU

He finally came to terms with the physical side of the game this season, and has become, in my opinion, the first choice midfielder to partner PV at the moment. I don't think GvB (if he was fit) would get a game the way that Edu has been playing.

BB

And with that we queue the music.....

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
No doubt ... Pires and Freddie ... just what's the main trend in this thread. :)
Those two are simply outstanding. :proud: And Sol ... but he had nothing to prove ... everybody knew he was an world class defender when Arsenal signed him. ;:star:

·
Registered
886 Posts
As a Swede I may have my reasons to say it and it`s the day after he has scored 2 goals who won us the game but for me it`s Freddie. I can`t think of any other player in the world who does the defensive job as he does and still have scored 14 goals (and neither of them is from a Penalty or free kick.
But Pires is a great contender ofcourse

·
Registered
171 Posts
I vote for EDU not only for his improvement on the field but also for his courage and determination to stay and fight for a place in the team.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
to be exact bebu
kanu has fought even more

he was about to be sold to fulham but stayed and will fight for first team place
this season he hasnt done much
and i hope he'll stay

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
another guy could be bergkamp, he has been pretty good this season, after all the talk int he past couple of years bout him not being good enough and even being on the bench! i think hes pretty bloody decent still...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts