Xtratime Community banner

What's the most important musical moment?

• The 50s RnR sensation

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • The British Invasion

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • The years from 1966-1969 (Flower Power)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glam Rock

• The Disco Era

• The punk Era

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • The New romantics

• 80s music

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • The Breakthrough of Rap

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The Dance movement

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Gangsta rap becomes mainstream

• The Seattle Grunge scene

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • The Brit pop scene

• The East Coast/West Coast Rap scene

• The G funk era

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The Rap Rock Revolution

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i voted for RnR's debut, and accept in the music scene. Not that I like any of that music, but because I think it was an important step towards getting a higher grade of tollerance towards new genres, and what can be done on f.ex television. Even though it was met with equal amounts of criticism and thrill, i think it after a while wa accepted, and I believe that this worked as the building platform for many new genres of music, and was basically the beginning of modern music :).

So VIVA Elvis, Roy Orbison and the rest of the rest of them modder fodders....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well, gotta' admit I think most 80'es music should have stayed there :D. That is with a few exceptions though, because I LOVE U2, especially the stuff from the 80'es, but also I really adore Dire Straits, probably because I grew up with it. Listening to Knoffler playing that guitar still gives me the chills, and that's in the positive way ;).

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
With out a doubt the punk scene in the 60's in the US, but more importantly for me, the UK scene in the mid-late 70's has consisted of some of my favourite bands, & so many of my modern favourite bands have been influenced by Sex Pistols, Clash, The Damned et al, even the non-punk bands.

No music has been more important in my life than the discovery of punk.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Up till now, I'd say r'n'r since all later forms of guitar music are indirectly derived from them. But at the moment, I think there are four evolutions which stick out, namely r'n'r, punk, hiphop and dance.

What they have in common in their roots, is a sense of DIY which punk even made into a sport of it's own with its' web of connections of labels and friendly bands supporting each other outside the mainstream. And the most important thing is that you can actually do it yourself. All you need to make music nowadays is a guitar (r'n'r and punk), a mic and/or a turntable/computer (dance and hiphop). So those final two are probably more the styles of the future since people tend to look down on the traditional "guitar-bass-drums"-concept nowadays, but of course that can always change.

greetz,
binswhacker

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
DBOY said:
i voted for RnR's debut, and accept in the music scene. Not that I like any of that music, but because I think it was an important step towards getting a higher grade of tollerance towards new genres, and what can be done on f.ex television. Even though it was met with equal amounts of criticism and thrill, i think it after a while wa accepted, and I believe that this worked as the building platform for many new genres of music, and was basically the beginning of modern music :).

So VIVA Elvis, Roy Orbison and the rest of the rest of them modder fodders....
I agree with you on that, r'n'r has given something new to the music in the 50's and in the future's era

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I voted for the British Invasion:) ;)

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
I voted for the Seattle Grunge scene. It changed my life, and also the face of modern music.

The 80s had some good music, like Queen, Dire Straits, U2, REM(better in the 90s), and quite a few others, but with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Nirvana hitting the world stage, music was finally about music again, and not the hair of the singer etc. Guitar music, great vocalists, everything good about music.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
The 50s RnR sensation ...I believe the whole music enchilada sits atop the The 50s RnR sensation ...Thats where it all started and carries thru till today !!!

;)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Dopey Here :jester: would like to ask a question that may seem extremely stupid :nervous:

What moment / period would the early - mid 70's bands such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Who etc.... belong to on this list )if any at all ??? :confused: :undecide:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Andreas said:
Dopey Here :jester: would like to ask a question that may seem extremely stupid :nervous:

What moment / period would the early - mid 70's bands such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Who etc.... belong to on this list )if any at all ??? :confused: :undecide:
Actually all four mentioned by you were already xtremelly famous in the mid to lates 60's already.........So the 60's Flower Power Era would be their time in musical history . :smileani:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I voted for the Seattle Grunge scene, since Pearl jam and Alice in Chains are two of my favourite bands. Nirvana weren't bad either, ;) at a time in my life, I used to listen only to them, but they got kind of..I don't know :undecide: ..something :D

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
The greatest moment in musical history was when I bumped into Martin Gore, David Gahan and Alan Wilder in a water park in Algarve in 1982 or 83. Barely a teenager, I decided to go buy a Depeche Mode tape see who these weird looking dudes were that I just met. I didn't find anything in Portugal, but found it in NY when I returned from vacation.

... and, it was the greatest thing I had ever heard. I quickly lost interest in glamour rock (which is not surprising being a teenager in the rebellious-liberal stage, opting for a more darker, political and cynical fashion in music known now as New Wave and Post Modern Punk etc).

The 80s, of course.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you on that one, pila. Okay, you can consider synth-pop as en evolution that gave away the atmosphere of that era (that yuppie feel that brett easton ellis captured so well in "american psycho") and maybe I am a little prejudiced about the 80s... but I mean come on! The 80s were the years when the time when even Milli Vanilli got a grammy. :eek: :yuck: Shows you much a grammy is worth too, btw. ;)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
These things come in waves.....

Every now and then 70's are reborn and modified to modern times.....same to 60's...and so on..

Right now we are in some sort of re-birth of punk...what is next?

In general, It is a RNR debut...because it changed the development in music alltogether. (and i think this should be a primary point).....the rest are just changes that occured after this in Rock music....The most influental of those?

It's a tight line between Flower power and Punk. :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am shocked that no one has mentioned the one, true watershed moment of the last 40 years:

Picture this: New York City, 1964-1965, in a mid-town luxury Hotel Suite. The Beatles have just finished another appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. The are on top of the charts, inspired new fashion crazes, and are the flagbearers for the British Invasion. As they are celebrating in the suite, they invite a young, local New York folk musician up to their room. His name: Bob Dylan, aka the poet laurete of the folk scene and adored by many for his politically-laced songs of protest.

Dylan brings with him a little pot and he and the Fab Four smoke up. After they are considerably stoned, Dylan and John Lennon sit on a couch and begin to discuss their mutual appreciation for each other's music. Dylan turns to Lennon and says, "Man, your sound is great, but your songs have no soul. You should start putting more strength and true thought behind your lyrics." Lennon concurs and responds, "Your songs are great, mate. I love that Blowin in the wind, it's truly inspirational. But what you should do is plug in, man. You should try going electric."

Next thing you know, the Beatles are releasing Rubber Soul and Revolver, and Dylan gets booed off the stage at Newport for using an Electric Guitar and singing Maggie's Farm.

The World has never been the same since........

(NOTE: While the actual meeting did take place, the author has taken creative liberty with some details for a more dramatic effect)

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bwahahaha! :dielaugh:

That was some great chit there, Penguin! :D

Dylan and Lennon, two great song writers of our time!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
i voted for British Invasion. we should appreciate what the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Queen did. coz of them the world know what ROCK music is. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts