Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to start any animosity between MB members but I am curious as to your opinion. Which is the most competitive league between Belguim, Denmark, Finland and Sweden? and why? how would you rank them? Feel free to make any other comparisons.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
belgium isn't a nordic country, so i doubt it's them.
not sure what you mean by competitive either, but if you want the nordic leagues ranked, I guess it'll be something like :
1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Denmark
4. Finland
5. Iceland

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jinxter said:
belgium isn't a nordic country, so i doubt it's them.
not sure what you mean by competitive either, but if you want the nordic leagues ranked, I guess it'll be something like :
1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Denmark
4. Finland
5. Iceland

Thanks Jinxter! yes, I was looking for a ranking and any other comparisons you wish to make. Just wanted to have a little understanding of how good the Nordic leagues are in comparison to Europe at large and how they compare against each other.

BTW, are you from Norway ;)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Yeah, I'm Norwegian. There is a tournament between the best club teams in the Scandinavian countries called the Royal League.. I think it gives a pretty good indication about the strengths between the various leagues.
From the first group stage to the second stage 3 Norwegian clubs progressed, 2 Swedish and 1 Danish.

Rosenborg (Norway) is the only Nordic club of good European standard, and they reach the Champions League group stage every year.
The other Nordic club usually just reach a 2-3 rounds into the UEFA cup before being eliminated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Jinxter said:
There is a tournament between the best club teams in the Scandinavian countries called the Royal League.. I think it gives a pretty good indication about the strengths between the various leagues.
From the first group stage to the second stage 3 Norwegian clubs progressed, 2 Swedish and 1 Danish.
Well, I wouldn't agree with your method. This is only the first annual Royal League. Maybe next season 3 Swedish, 2 Danish, and 1 Norwegian may qualify, or maybe 3 Danish, 2 Norwegian, and 1 Swedish will, etc.

For example, the Spanish league is the best in the world, but they have no more candidates in the CL. France and Holland, on the other hand, have one left. Does that mean that the Dutch and French leagues are better than the Spanish league? Nope..

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
When it's cupplay, it's more chance though. Group stages give a pretty fair impression of the strengths between the various teams. Maybe next year, the Swedish or Danish top teams will be better than the Norwegian ones, but this year, the Norwegians rule Scandinavia.

Oh, and we can do some comparative statistics about Netherlands, France, Italy and Spain while we're at it :p

In the champions league, this is how well those countries' clubs have done since the tournament started in 92..

Country ---------------Group_stage--------2nd_group_stage/8ths-------4ths---------semis---------finals_won-------finals_lost
Italy-----------------------21----------------------11----------12-------------9---------------3---------5
Spain-------------------19-----------------------8--------------12-------------7----------------3-------3
Netherlands--------------23------------------------3------------5-------------4---------------1----------1
France----------------13-----------------------7----------------5-------------4---------------1----------1

And as you can see, it gives a pretty fair picture of what nation most people consider the best league in the world.. The Italian ahead of the Spanish, with Netherlands and France trailing. (Germany would be ahead of France and Holland if I had included them in the overview btw, as the 3rd best league in Europe)

About the Nordic leagues..
Sverige----------------9------------------------------------------1
Norge------------------8---------------------1-------------------1
Danmark---------------2
Finland----------------1
Iceland------------------0

This shows that Sweden and Norway are about equal as the best Nordic league, and since Norway has had two teams reach the quarters in the UEFA cup the past decade (Brann & Vålerenga), while Sweden hasn't done well since IFK's glory days, Norway do better in Royal League and cause Rosenborg has consistenly beated Denmark's and Sweden's best teams when met in important games, I've biasedly ruled Norway to be better than Sweden :)

Sorry about the unesthetic tables btw, I suck at ascii-art :p

And yes, of course the Royal League isn't a perfect method of determining it since it's only been held one year, but when we also use the statistics from the European cups, it gives a good picture.

·
Registered
559 Posts
footballnut said:
Which is the most competitive league between Belguim, Denmark, Finland and Sweden? and why? how would you rank them? Feel free to make any other comparisons.
1. Denmark
2. Norway
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. Iceland

My rating are based on these facts:

Swedish clubs have done rather poorly in most of the last 5-year UEFA ranking. They also have lower club budgets than in Denmark and Norway and tend to lose much of their best players to foreign clubs, with many of them moving to especially Danish top-flight clubs but also a few to Norwegian soccer, while they dont get any top players from the Danish or Norwegian leagues in return.

No doubt that Norwegian soccer has improved, but mainly by doing much more physical training and playing a more minimalsitic style of soccer in compare with Sweden and Denmark. The big Danish league clubs on the other hand, has by far the biggest budgets in Scandinavia, lower taxes for foreign players (25%), play a more continential technique based and fast paced kind of soccer and is therefore able to attract better foreign players than the other Nordic leagues. Also the quality of domestic league talents is a good sign of how competitive the league is and especially the Danish U21 talents do far better thant the U21 talents in the rest of Scandinavia at the moment...

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/Under21/Standings/index.html

Rosenborg have with no doubt been the best Scandinavian club in the Europa Cups the past many years, but if you take away the results of Rosenborg and the best Danish club (Brøndby), then you will find that Norway would drop below Denmark in the latest 5-year UEFA ranking* (see calculation at the bottom)...

The Royal league results is not much more useful to judge the difference in strenght between the leagues than training games, both because not all the teams take this tournament or all the games seriously, but also simply because it's played in the winter break on very poor pitches, being a disadvantage for the normal Danish fast paced technique based short passing, while it favors physical strenght and a more minimalistic type of game... But if you do want to compare, then the Danish teams have actually had most ball possession and dominated most of their games, though not getting all that good results...
-----

Facts about the Europa cup ranking :

Norway is best Scandinavian country on the latest 5-year UEFA ranking :

20. Norway 20.200
23. Denmark 17.200
25. Sweden 15.383

Sweden were best at getting points in 2000/01, Denmark best in 2001/02 and 2002/03, Norway best in 2003/04 and 2004/05, but if you take a closer look at the ranking, then the facts show that Norway would trail behind without Rosenborg, showing that Norway may have the most successfull club, but dont have the most competitive league in scandinavia :

Rosenborg 37+6 bonus points = 43 points
other Norwegian teams: 40.5 points/16 teams = 2.531 x 5 = 12.655

Brøndby 23 points
Other Danish teams: 48.5 points/15 teams = 3.233 x 5 years = 16.165

Denmark with no Brøndby :
4.000 + 3.333 + 3.333 + 3.250 + 1.750 = 15.666

Norway with no Rosenborg :
2.833 + 2.500 + 1.625 + 4.333 + 1.666 = 12.957

The reason that ther are only 15 teams in the Danish 5 year calculation is because ther were only 3 Danish teams participating this past season, leaving 1 team fewer to collect points in compare with Norway ...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good stuff guys. Thanks a million! another quick question for those of you that follow the Danish league. I'm sure you're all familiar with Zidan who is now a Werder player. What is your take on the extent of his talent. And any stats to corroborate his goal scoring and assists would be fantastic.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm familiar with this site Kroldrup. And have seen the clips. I know he was picked as best player in the Danish league and was the leading scorer. I just wanted some stats. to understand how many goals he scored and how many assists he's had. Would you happen to know?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Why would you want to exclude Rosenborg and Brøndby from the rankings, Ceres? I mean, what the hell is the point? :rollani:

·
Registered
335 Posts
duttend said:
Why would you want to exclude Rosenborg and Brøndby from the rankings, Ceres? I mean, what the hell is the point? :rollani:
What's so hard to understand?

He's saying that Norway have the best Scandinavian team, but they don't have the best league.

Simple as that :eek:

But I won't start I discussion. I wouldn't want you to become Bruiser II...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Kroldrup said:
He's saying that Norway have the best Scandinavian team, but they don't have the best league..
Quite right, and I exclude both Rosenborg and Brøndby from the rankings, because it wont make any sense to only exclude Rosenborg, but also because they are the two best Scandinavian teams in the EC, having collected by far the most points the past 5 years...

·
Registered
559 Posts
footballnut said:
Yeah, I'm familiar with this site Kroldrup. And have seen the clips. I know he was picked as best player in the Danish league and was the leading scorer. I just wanted some stats. to understand how many goals he scored and how many assists he's had. Would you happen to know?
His league game + goal stats, though I dont know how many assists he has made :

http://www.vi.nl/vi/show/id=40053/dbid=34799/typeofpage=40054/sc=b60790

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Sweden is the most competitive since here there are loads of diffrent teams that can win the title. In Norway there's only 1 and Denmark 2. However when it comes to economy and resources, the Danish is the best and Norwegian second (atleast economincally) I think that Sweden got more quality players then Norway though, but we don't have the money and are losing players every year.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ceres said:
He played 17 league games (1530 minutes) and made 11 goals and 4 assists this season for FCM...

Ceres, would you also consider him a good passer and provider or an all out striker? Does he work hard on the field?

·
Registered
559 Posts
footballnut said:
Ceres, would you also consider him a good passer and provider or an all out striker? Does he work hard on the field?

Zidan is surely not an all out striker, since it's his quick moves, dazzling runs and excellent technique and terrific dribbling skills that makes him great and then secondly the fact that he also know how to score goals... He surely got great passing technique, but has had some trouble in the past with being to selfish, though he has become much better at giving away the ball this season.... Yes I think he works fairly hard, but he's surely not a good defencive player...

3 Zidan assists from one Superliga game in November 2004:

http://egyptianplayers.com/multimedia/zidan-efbassists.avi

1 - 20 of 37 Posts