2,162 Posts
for me:

PALESTINE
in the world cup:
France

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
It's always great to discuss this subject :)

In my opinion the best anthems of countries at the World Cup are France, Brazil and Italy. Also the Latin Countries have great anthems :cool:

L

·
0 Posts
anthems means the song of the country?
if it is, i thing the german one is very beautiful:)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
yes lili you are correct about what an anthem is :)

Personally i have always liked the South African anthem after it was modified to include several languages (is in 4 parts if i can recall; Zulu, Xhosa, Afrikaans and English)

Other anthems i like are Germany (heard it many times watching F1), France, Italy, Brazil and Denmark (can't remember any others right now)

Unfortunately i missed the first Russia game and for the one that was played tonight the broadcaster crossed to the telecast after the Russian anthem had been played :devil: :fero: and i only got to hear the Japanese anthem (which was ok :) )

The strangest anthem i think i've heard would have to be Turkey. It starts out sounding like there is a funeral possession happening :wth:

I also don't like the English anthem :yuck: (used to be Australia's anthem at one stage) and my own anthem (Australia) really irritates me :irritate:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Was the German anthem composed by Haydn? I'm not sure.

But I'll go for Brazil's. Everybody sings off-key but it still sounds agreeable.:D Seriously, I like the melody very much.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
99 % sure that is was Haydn.

For you who can't remember the national anthems this site might give you an idea: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/8106/Anthems/russia.htm

Think most countries anthems are there though the quality isn't great ...it will give you an idea..

Russia took back the old Soviet anthem with differnt text of course ;)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
The "Marseillese" of France is beatifull. I also love the Russian one. And the Costa Rican one was really nice too, catchy... the USA has excellent melody too.

Hate the English one. Boring and with bad music and pompus lyrics... The Irish one also doesnt sound good. Nor the Korean.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Yes, Germany´s anthem is from Haydn, it was originally our (Austria´s) emperor´s anthem.
But since the Germans are bastards, unable to come up with something better, they simply stole it. :mad: ;)

I also somehow like the Irish one. And of course "God save the queen". :)

Forgot the Portugese anthem, which is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
the Marseillese has the best tune - really hummable, even if you dont know the words :)

it was also used as the Russian anthem (with different lyrics) for a while - not for long, just February to October in 1917!

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
I really like the Brasileiro, Teuton and Rital ones a lot. La Marseillaise has a great melody, but the words are a little bit too war-minded as it is still the same as it was during the French Revolution of 1789. Nonetheless, it's a truly beautiful anthem...:):cool:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:
I really like the Brasileiro, Teuton and Rital ones a lot. La Marseillaise has a great melody, but the words are a little bit too war-minded as it is still the same as it was during the French Revolution of 1789. Nonetheless, it's a truly beautiful anthem...:):cool:
yeah thats the problem with a lot of anthems, despite the good melodies they often have associations through the words which can be a bit 'dodgy'

for example 'God Save The Queen' has references about crushing rebellous Scots :D and 'Deutschlandlied' has expansionist connotations in the light of the 1930s and 1940s - but in both cases the offending verses have been cut out, from what is currently sung

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
My favorite of course is the US and Croatian National Anthems.

But, I think the Italian one is great because it seems to be so festive. I don't mean this in a bad way because and don't take it as that, but there is a feeling that you can almost dance to it. It is a National Anthem to enjoy.....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The Russian is the best definitaly... Good ones are also the English, German, French and Italian.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I like France's national anthem alot for some reason like alot of you; too bad I hate what really counts which is there team. Offcourse, I love the Brazil & USA national anthem. ;)

Cheers,
Paddle

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Ofcourse, my favorite national anthem is the national anthem of my country Bangladesh. However, in the World Cup my favorite national anthems are as follows, in order:

1) Germany
2) South Africa
3) England
4) Argentina

:) :D

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I like the Irish one because the melody is nice. It's my favourite.

The Turkish and the French are very powerful, that's also nice. And the Japanese one is very relaxed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Since nobody has mentioned it I will. Portugal has the best anthem. The way it builds drama towards the climax is spine-tingling

I like anthems that are "haunting", The kind of anthem you can imagine being sung through the centuries. Russia's is a great example of this.

The worst anthem is Italy's.
I worked at a theme park for a few summers back in high school, and whenever i hear the Italian anthem, I feel like I am walking past the merry go-round again. You know that annoying theme park music I'm talking about ???

It's funny; there was an article last week on thesportingnews.com about how some Italians think their own anthem is ugly and hard to sing to, and how a lot of Italians don't think the Azzurri even know their own anthem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts