Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copy this from our officiale website:
Fernando Morientes has declared in a press conference that he would like to remain at Real Madrid for a number of years, despite various rumours in recent weeks that a move across the Mediterranean to Italy was imminent. The striker also denied being depressed at not having made it into the final squad of 22 for Euro 2000, although he did admit to being "disappointed".

Morientes spent a large part of the session with the press explaining that he was in good condition mentally, despite his omission from the final 22, picked by Spain coach José Antonio Camacho, for Euro 2000. Five other Real Madrid players were selected: Raúl, Hierro, Michel Salgado, Casillas and Iván Helguera.

"The only conclusion I have drawn from these last few days is that I am going on holiday in less than a week. I have read and heard that I was depressed, that I was close to a breakdown, but nothing could be further from the truth. The only element of truth in recent reports has been that I would have liked to have gone to Euro 2000," he signalled.

The striker elaborated: "It was disappointing not to get a call from the coach, I won't deny that much, but it does mean that I can now recover from a long season and take advantage of fuller holidays," he added.

Morientes also said that he was in no way bitter at Camacho's decision and added that Spain were "going to produce a great performance at Euro 2000". "I am now just another spectator and another Spanish fan. What I do want to be able to do is to head up there for the quarter-finals, or semi-finals, and see them live. I hope they win it and that I can go and celebrate with them," he said.

The striker was also keen to emphasise that he wanted to continue at Real Madrid, "even more so" after winning the club's eighth European Cup. "My intention has always been to stay here, and even more so now. I want to be European champion with my team. Winning the title gives you a huge motivation for continuing.

"I'm sure that Real Madrid are happy with me," indicated Morientes, who added that he was extremely satisfied with the comments made by club president, Lorenzo Sanz, who described him as "untransferable" despite interest from various Italian clubs, not least Roma.

Anything new? Don't really think so, but like I've said a number of times, all this really stinks to me. I want Mori to stay, everyone does, I talked to Spaniard last night on the ICQ and got a live broadcast from the front lines (by this I mean Madrid :)) and hhe seemed as baffled as we are. No one down there knows anything to be honest. He said Mori was being diplomatic and all, but nothing certain. Honestly, I don't know what to think of it and don't even want to look at the possible down sides of such a transfer. I mean guys! Nicola$ Anelka is so inconsistant that selling him, would be just pure suicide! What happens if Nic sux!? We have only Baljic left in reserve and that is just not enough for a team like Real Madrid CF! If I an idiot from the internet see such a problem, than is it possible that the geniouses in madrid don't? I certainly hope not... :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with you Labas if we wants to win the treble next season then we have to have consistent strikers. Anelka and Balic have not proven to be consistent this season so we have to keep Morientes or spend a lot of money on a new striker who have to use some time in adapting to the team.

To Sanz pleaaaaaaase don't sell Morientes you will never get a better man on that position.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
haha....since Mori stated again and again, I think Sanz must totally receive his thought--STAY AT REAL FOREVER!!!! C'mon, our president was dub sometimes, but he must not be so cruel that just sell Mori to another inferior club which he never wanna go to. :)

And yes, Labas, along with what you aforementioned, we really need to keep all the great forwards in the club for next years titles. How strange that there are still so many rumors about up coming forwards when we already have several good strikers. SAVE WHAT WE HAVE, and spend the $ on defenders and playmaker, yeah!
And about you guys said Mori diplomatic...aha, ha, ha :eek:..... however, as long as he has already gone throught that unfavorable event, and still kept his graceful image, I could take that call-up thing easy now. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts