Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ey fellas!

1) I've read you all along the last months and I just want to say how weird to my eyes is reading 'Mori' this, 'Mori' that...

2) It's not your fault at all! It's logic. Morientes --> Mori. It has sense.

3) But the nickname-shortname of Fernando Morientes aaaaall those years in Madrid or Mónaco was 'El Moro'. Fernando 'El Moro' Morientes. Mori sounds really really weird... (And Nando as well, but not so much)

4) The word 'Moro' is used to describe muslims in a despective way in spanish, something similar like n¡gger to black people in english. But in that case is diferent. And I like to hear about 'El Moro' in that positive meaning instead of the bad one.

5) Call Morientes 'El Moro' is in some way, a kind of retorical fighting against racism in football. And is not anything despective to him. He will be pleased 'cause he will feel like home in some way.

C u fellas!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
these are Scousers you are talking about, they don't even use English words correctly let alone Spanish. :D

you are lucky they don't call him Mozza or Mozzy. :shades:

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Yes so everyone knows his nickname is El Moro, they might just type Mori because they cant be arsed to type Morientes like when people call Cisse- Djib

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
because you have been so polite from now on I will try to only refere to him as either Morientes or El Moro :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I admit I'm one of those few people who keeps calling him Mori.

And I'm not going to change the way I call him.

Does calling him mori makes him any lesser than the morientes that we know him as?

I don't understand what is there to be so particular about, especially when it is the player whom we admire, not the name.

I totally respect and like your politeness in your request _Barcino_, but I'm just giving my two cents worth on my not changing of his nickname to me.

On the last note, calling him mori does not make us any less of his fans.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
these are Scousers you are talking about, they don't even use English words correctly let alone Spanish. :D
Bwahahahahahahaha :D

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Xue said:
I admit I'm one of those few people who keeps calling him Mori.

And I'm not going to change the way I call him.

Does calling him mori makes him any lesser than the morientes that we know him as?

I don't understand what is there to be so particular about, especially when it is the player whom we admire, not the name.

I totally respect and like your politeness in your request _Barcino_, but I'm just giving my two cents worth on my not changing of his nickname to me.

On the last note, calling him mori does not make us any less of his fans.

You are both very polite, but I guess its an ignorance thing. You guys prolly didnt know what his nickname was, so you made a new one up for him.

Its like Gazza or Macca going to another country and they give him a local nickname like "El Manaman" or "Il Gasconitti".

Tradition vs. Localization? Im not sure how to word this....

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Xue said:
No but for Spanish speakers it sounds kind of gay. I would bet that he probably wouldn't like to be called Mori.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
actually he peferes to be called Nando he said in an interview.
Oh be fair if posters on this forum knew anything worth knowing half the threads that pop up wouldn't.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts