Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafael Benitez claimed after the Watford game that a deal to bring Fernando Morientes to Anfield could be completed within hours and would enable the Spanish international to make his debut against Manchester United.
Benitez told liverpoolfc.tv: "At this very moment in time, I can not say that Morientes is a Liverpool player but I believe we are very close to a deal and it could happen in a couple of hours time. We have spoken about him for two weeks now and the player wants to join Liverpool which is a good thing.

"We are ready for his arrival as soon as a deal can be completed. I'm not sure how player registration works in England but we are hopeful that he could be ready for the weekend. We will use the player as soon as possible. The important thing is he wants to come to Liverpool and play for us."

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Liverpool's Morientes Bid Accepted
1/11/2005 10:19:00 PM
Real Madrid have accepted a €10million offer from Liverpool for Fernando Morientes.
The Spanish international is in negotiations with the Premiership club and is set to sign a four-and-a-half-year deal at Anfield and be presented later this week.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez announced that he was becoming impatient after Madrid stalled on a decision whether to sell of keep Morientes.

But new coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo has signalled that he has enough strikers and that gave the board the green light to accept the English club's offer.

Lyon have also tabled a late bid as they want Morientes to replace Giovane Elber, but the offer has come too late as the player who had a successful spell on loan at Monaco last year has already set his heart on a move to Anfield.

Madrid had hoped to force Liverpool into including a deal to give them first option on signing Steven Gerrard, but that was immediatly denied.

The Spanish giants may now make a move for Roma's highly rated forward, Antonio Cassano, to bolster their star-studded squad.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morientes on brink of Reds move
Fernando Morientes
Morientes has failed to score for Real this season
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is hoping to complete the £6m signing of 28-year-old striker Fernando Morientes from Real Madrid on Wednesday.

"We are very close, it could be just a matter of hours," said Benitez.

"I am not sure exactly how far the talks have gone, but I believe we have an agreement and I want the deal completed as soon possible."

Morientes could make his debut against Manchester United on Saturday if his signing is completed in time.

The Spain international has been the prime target for Benitez but the move seemed to be in the balance when reports arose that French club Lyon had tabled a higher bid than Liverpool.

The important thing is he wants to come to Liverpool and play for us
Rafael Benitez

But Lyon's attempts to hijack the move have proved unfounded and Benitez had claimed Morientes said he would stay at Real Madrid if he was not allowed to complete a switch to Anfield.

Morientes has to pass the formality of a medical and Benitez said: "We have spoken about him for two weeks now and the player wants to join Liverpool which is a good thing.

"We are ready for his arrival as soon as a deal can be completed.

"I'm not sure how player registration works in England but we are hopeful that he could be ready for the weekend.

"We will use the player as soon as possible. The important thing is he wants to come to Liverpool and play for us."

·
International
1,878 Posts
So, is the bid 6 million or 10 million pounds? If it is 10 million pounds, we are getting ripped off by Real once again.

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Liverbird said:
So, is the bid 6 million or 10 million pounds? If it is 10 million pounds, we are getting ripped off by Real once again.
6 million pounds, which is around 10 million euros I think. Let's hope the deal will be completed in the 'next few hours' and that he'll be ready for the Mancs game.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Liverbird said:

Ripped off? You should be bending over and kissing Benitz's feet for that one. Morientes is one of the best strikers in the World.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Interista said:
Well obviously Perez didn't think that when he brought in Owen.
Perez didn't know the ball was round until he won his first elections....

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Liverbird said:
I think that's a good price for Morientes. Trust me, you won't think that once he starts scoring those goals.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
The most underrated striker in the world is how I will describe Morientes.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
thats a cheap deal...morientes is worth more than that IMO...congrats for getting him...

·
Registered
574 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
The most underrated striker in the world is how I will describe Morientes.
i couldn't agree more. and it will be very good for Spain NT for him to be coached by Rafa.

anyways, even if he is available to play this saturday i wouldn't count on him being on the starting line. it would be more respectful to the lads if he came on as a tactical sub instead; and this despite him being leagues ahead of Pongo in skill.

·
International
1,878 Posts
I rate Mori quite highly, but 10 million pounds for him and him alone is surely too high a price we have to pay. If I am not mistaken, his contract is expiring at the end of the season, then we can do a REAL on REAL. :p

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
It's a steal at £6M. I think he'll settle very well to English football, he has that physical presence and is a typical "English" center forward. He should be able to make his debut against ManU.

·
Registered
41 Posts
LB17 said:
i couldn't agree more. and it will be very good for Spain NT for him to be coached by Rafa.
will be good for Liverpool and Moro himself too.:)

can't wait to watch his debut in England...

the fact that he's unable to play any CL matches in the rest of this season is quite a pity though.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Although I agree that £6m for someone of Morientes' ability is a bargain (especially considering that Forest want £6m for Dawson!!).. But I see this a justice being done.. If Owen was sold at £8m + Nunez.. that a total of £7m :D It's only fair that we get Moro for £6m.. :)

Joking aside, hope the deal is finalized.. no questioning the ability of the player.. he's class.. and I hope he gets the debut on Saturday.. The fact that we got him for a fifth of what Man U paid for Fat Boy Slim is another excellent fact :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yasir said:
The fact that we got him for a fifth of what Man U paid for Fat Boy Slim is another excellent fact :D
LOL...exactly.

·
International
1,878 Posts
Some sites have stated that our bid was for 6 million pounds. From my observations, I think this is more or less a done deal.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts