Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Morientes should be back in the NT?

Some people think he's already the past. There's new people like Torres, Tamudo or Mista that are a better option than him. His performance in Monaco can't be taken seriously because it's a minor league.

Others think that Morientes has scoredalready 20 goals with the NT, the same of Telmo Zarra. He has been the most successful striker in our NT, despite all the critics and we all recall his good performances in last WC.

And you, do you want him back?:)

·
Registered
966 Posts
He shouldn't go at this moment. He has only scored 5 goals in the French League, I know he recently scored a hat-trick in a Cup game but that's not enough. Players like Mista or Torres deserve it much more.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
if you don't take his performance just because he plays in the french league. i'm afraid it is wrong. in my mind, brazilian and argentine football are not top class. so it is pointless to not consider players in them. we should not object him for this reason. the advantage morientes brings us is in the air that others can't. i buy torres, but not mista and tamudo. the latter two are still not better than morientes even in form. now saez only needs one forward in general who is raul. if raul plays as a playmaker, the forward would be torres or morientes. they are optional.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Morientes is a tough one to figure out. If you go by his season performance there is no way he gets on the NT. However, he has proven to be very good for the National Team (same strike ratio as Ronaldo for Brazil). I'm not opposed to him being on the team but for a friendly I would not call him up. I'd still try out Torres or even bring back Tristan.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I guess the reason why he is always meanchened is because people have that 'they are a different player on the NT' type attitude which is partially why I want him back. Plus he has 1 amazing attiribute which is his header..... and our teams needs a target man:cool:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I posted this in another thread, and IMO, if Saez will play a true #9, it has to be Moro.

Many players got little chances in the NT (Tristan, Torres, Tamudo...etc), the only one that really performed was Moro (look at his goal per cap ratio), plus he did well in WC. His correct uncalled goal would have sent Spain to Semis!

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
I definetely think Morientes should be back in La Seleccion for many reasons. He is a proven player and always performed with La Seleccion and his sick goal record speaks for itself. Also, whose our alternative? Tristan is a constant faliure when it comes down to the national team. Torres is way too young and lacks experience for a big stage. Mista will score a goal but he will miss like 20 a game. Tamudo? Urzaiz? Please :rollani:

Raul and Morientes with Valeron behind them is ideal for Spain.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I don't undestand Saez. He said on Marca that he wanted to give Salva a try at striker next. We better plan on having a strong 11 everygame in Euro or else were screwed on the bench :depress:

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
unfortunately for Morientes he falls into the category of...

out of sight, out of mind!

The man has proven his worth for the NT and which other striker we have is as good with his head?

Free Morientes!:greed:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
he is the best striker in Spain NT at the moment...thinking about you don´t really have any good one exept Morientes and Tristan...so ofcourse he should be in the squad at least!!!!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Jacques_Terrac said:
he is the best striker in Spain NT at the moment...thinking about you don´t really have any good one exept Morientes and Tristan...so ofcourse he should be in the squad at least!!!!
Well I think Torres and Luque are pretty good. The big problem is that we don't have a consistant scorer. All of our strikers are streaky. As long as they get hot during a tournament that's fine but if they aren't then they are useless unless they offer something other than just scoring.

Incindently, how has Morientes been playing at Monaco? He hasn't scored that much but he is involved a lot?

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Juanele1973 said:
Incindently, how has Morientes been playing at Monaco? He hasn't scored that much but he is involved a lot?
Everytime I watch a Monaco game he seems to very involved, pretty much as much as he was to Real until Ronaldo came.

Well, the fact of the matter is that Raul can't play by himself up front. He needs a partner and that means Mori. If not Mori then AT LEAST Tristan, maybe Torres and Luque would be pushing it. NO MORE TAMUDO/URZAIZ/MISTA/SALVA etc.. PLEASE.

The only problem is that with giving Raul a partner up front, is that we have to sacrifice one of Joaquin, Vicente/Reyes, Baraja, Albelda, Valeron, Xabi Alonso.

I'd go like this:

_______Baraja
Joaquin_______Reyes
_______Valeron
____Mori____Raul

And I just thought of something... Why not Reyes?

_____Alonso_Baraja
______Valeron
___Joaquin_Raul
_______Reyes

Basically Raul and Reyes up front with 2 DMC's. Solid?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Well if Raul is not a centerforward than Reyes is most certainly not one. He plays a lot better when he runs at a defense. If he is at the point he is not as involved and will tend to disappear. If Reyes is played at forward he would have to be segunda punta (second striker). The problem is that is where Raul is at his best as well. So for now I would play Reyes on the left and let him compete with Vicente for playing time (whichever player happens to be in form at the time).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts