Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know a little bit more about the selection process for moderators, people being banned or reprimanded for various issues, and if there is not more scope for your average user like me, not interested in being a mod etc, having some say in some of these processes going in. Maybe its just my take on things, but certain decisions on things just seem very arbitrary to me:angel:

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Here is a general idea, Fred E. :)

Selection procedure for moderators/Forum Managers:

When a FM is needed, members of that forum will nominate the candidates who are interested. When multiple candidates are nominated, an existing FM or CM will then open a new thread in the Forum Management Forum to let all FMs know. Discussions are then made to weigh the pros and cons of all candidates, and hopefully, the best possible person will be selected.

Sometimes, an exisiting FM either from that forum or from another forum may take over the responsibility. In some rare cases, another FM may not be even needed!

If a new member is promoted as a FM for a forum, he/she will undergo a short trial period so that the CMs can monitor the moderating process. Needless to say, a FM is supposed to display respect and courtesy towards the rest of the members, to set a good example if nothing else.

-----------------------------------

Banning and barring procedures:

According to Xtratime rules:

7. Problem Posts
If you as a member of these forums notice a post that is in poor taste, or a member who is willfully bending or breaking our simple rules, you can and should report it. You may use the Report this Post feature, and/or you may PM the moderator of the forum where you saw the problem. The moderator's first step is to PM a warning to the offender.

8. Banned or Barred
Members who fail to follow the above rules and continue to be uncooperative and disrespectful will be barred or banned. A Bar is short term, you will have limited access to the board over the period of your barring i.e. no posting rights. A Ban is permanent, you will have no access to the forums.

------------------------------

As to how can anyone voice an opinion, this is the right place to do it! :D

Any time anyone has an issue, comment or concern, please feel free to post it here! We have seven CMs, 2 Admins and countless FMs. Some of us will bound to have an answer. If not, we'll make up one! :howler:

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm starting to get a clearer idea. Its the point at which the process ends up in the Mods forum, that I find interesting. I think, in fairness, the posters that this decision will ultimately affect, should at least be able to observe this process in action. And if that means that everybody on the forum gets to view the threads relating to the selection process amongst the existing FMs, then so be it :)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am not entirely sure what you mean by that, but I certainly hope it is how people actually feel. If this was some big streamlined commercial organization I guess there would be extensive rules on everything coupled with detailed job descriptions on all levels.

However this is more or less a hobby site (although I do try to make enough money to pay for running it) run by volunteers and we have focused on developing it and its structure with the help of those to whom it meant something i.e. the people came before the systems and the structures.

I admit that this gives a certain level of arbitrarness as people are people and even if all those helping out as managers of one kind or another seemingly agree there are differences in how things are done or seem to be done. We are considering extending the written instructions or guidelines into that area though.

I guess what I am saying is that we really do not regulate unless we feel we have to and then try to keep things simple and within perspective. Looking at things in a greater perspective I do see the logic in how things are done and find things to go smoothly most of the time although I also see cases we could have handled better with more help from standard procedures etc.

What some people seem to forget is that this ultimately is like a settlement on a island in the sea called the World Wide Web. Those of us who washed up here first have tried to welcome everyone coming after us and have tried to make everything work eqally work for all. We have had to add some things and limit other things as we went along depending on who and how many came.

Compared to most other community sites I know we are a pretty democrat bunch here I would say. However there are limits as to what can be discussed openly and what everyone can get to influence. Just the sheer numbers puts up limits as earlier experiments in asking everyone demonstrated clearly as they took forever and ended in not been clear at all.

As for your specific idea about opening the FM forum could it surely be done, but not to turn every topic there into neverending stories we would have to limit posting and then what would be the point. Then we would have comments about concrete cases discussed there talked about here or elsewhere as well etc. That will simply not fly I think.

I am not sure what would be the point either. If people feel they are falsely accused or banned/barred on false grounds all they have to do is mail me and I would look into things. However all I ever get when banning someone is threats and more of the same that got them banned in the first place.

Lastly, we should keep things in perspective. Some of the other manager will testify that if anyone have went overboard trying to democratize things and make them open and so on is it me. However, it proved very hard to do and as some noted is this "just a soccer forum" so let us keep that in mind.

In conclusion I will say that for those who seek influence and want to have a voice and a vote there are plenty of opportunities. It is also possible not to get involved at all though and that is fine as well I think. If everyone gets involved things either take forever or becomes to diverse and neither case helps when everything around us moves forward regardless. We have to be able to make decisions and get things done, but believe you me that we are very aware of how to do that best.

Sorry for ranting, but this is something evolving over time and through a lot of thoughts and tries.

Jan

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jan said:

Sorry for ranting, but this is something evolving over time and through a lot of thoughts and tries.

Jan

I understand that the board is still evolving, and that no system will ever be perfect. Initially, my main concern was finding out how posters become moderators and if the process used was fair and open. Initial indications seemed to suggest not. However, after many posts from reputable mods etc, my faith is being somewhat restored. Overall, I like the site very much, and generally, I believe the system used to moderate it is a sound one. But I still think that there is more room for outside involvement from non-moderators in some of the decisions made around here. But ultimately, the decision belongs to the big guy;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Would it be possible to allow "normal" users reading the FM forum without being able to write something in it? This would make it possible to understand the process much better without a messed up forum.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Hahahahaa, i just wanna imagine troublemaker reading the things we're talking about him :rolleyes: that forum isn't "closed" without a reason, with all due respect. :)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could care less what you say about me. I'm thinking of everyone else. I guess you aren't though. I thought better of you, Raanan. I guess I was wrong....

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Calm down my friend, i wasn't referring to anyone in particular and especially not you, though you are a manc, a troublesome fact indeed. ;)

Imagine that some lunatic is spamming Xtratime with racial slurs and in the FM Forum we are discussing in ways to stop him, track him and etc...doesn't sound very right to me does it? look, there are things that have to be kept secretly mate, you can surely understand that. i am aware you re curious but the only solution would be if you are qualified to become FM, and i believe that you really are my friend. ;)

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
No problems mate. :)

As for Roy -nothing is over yet... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts