Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all think that this years Champions League stacks up against last years in terms of how exciting and entertaining the games were. Please, put aside any bias over what teams were in the games (for example, just because you hate Man Utd, don't say this years CL was better). Both years had great games that were beautiful to watch. Some particularly memorable games from last years Cl were:
3-3, ManU v Barca
3-3, ManU v Barca
3-3, Bayern v Dinamo
3-2, ManU v Juve
Those are the the most exciting ones in my opinion (let it be known that I was unable to watch all the games because of where I live)

From this year,
3-1, Chelsea v Barca
5-1, Barca v Chelsea
3-2, ManU v Real
5-2, Valencia v Lazio
4-1, Valencia v Barca
4-2, Barca v Arsenal
4-1, Bayern v Madrid

Even though there were more games this year, therefore offering the possibility of a higher total of entertaining games, I have to say that this years CL has been better. Especially as a dark horse team, Valencia are going to the finals. What an upset that would be if they won it!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, I wrote 3-2 Man U Vs Real instead of the other way around. Wishfull thinking perhaps. . .

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fact that this year's Champion's League took so long is a minus. But if you look at the result, with the cream rising to the top, and the quality of the quarterfinal and semifinal ties so high, I think it had been worth the wait.

As a comparison last year's cinderella team, Dynamo Kiev, were never gonna win it all, were they?. But this year, the quality of even the surprise team Valencia is very high that they too have a very legitimate chance of emerging as champions.

Overall I think this year's was better (then again it may be because I'm a Spanish football fan) because of the more hiqh quality matches it produced. However, if there is anyway to shorten the proceedings without sacrificing quality, that'd be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I think the most entertaining in last year's CL is 3-3 Barca vs MU(second round). And this year we have many surprises, especially Valencia! :) But I really don't like so many games in CL now, it is murder.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I like this years CL, only because the spanish have dominated and our beloved Real is going for the title. Besdies that unfortunately the competition has turned into CRAP. It is way too long, and the first rounds are really no fun, watching Barca smash AIK Solne. It's pointless. I liked the CL best, when there were only 16 teasm, only champoins, 4 groups and all. Then you really felt the atmosphere - that was the top of the world! Now it's getting so common, a game every week, it's boring. But like I said, I'm glad because it's looking like a Real - Valencia final! HALA ESPANA!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regulate, you asked not to be biased, but it seems nobody listens to you. I don't mind watching more games, but if this affects the quality then this has to change. CL is always fun to watch no matter what, but this year I'm yet to see a classic game. Saying that I mean when both teams are strong, well balanced (no crappy defence like MU, Real, Barca and, oh my, Chelsea), playing at their best, having thier best players available and having drama on the field. Example:Juve-MU 2:3. I did not see Valencia-Barca 4:1, but any of the other games are not as good as any of last years MU games except the 3 they played against Bayern, but then again those final 3 minutes of the final, who's gonna treat us like that again? You sit, you watch the game and you see the miracle! I know you all are MU haters, but no team this year falls into the same category. Valencia are the most solid and, perhaps, consistent, but they are not in the same class as MU, and the reason they are that far is the freaky format of the league. If they would be playing MU in the KO stage that would've been it, and nobody would ever remember Valencia 2000. But now they have a very good chance to win the Cup. I'm not against that, everybody have a right to have some kind of luck, but I'm missing BIG games.

I'm surprised that Regulate did not include both MU-Inter games and even MU-Brondby. Nobody else beats Brondby with that kind of score, the Danes beat Bayern, remember? And they did not chickened out as Chelsea against Barca, simply MU put on a classy show.

I don't know if any of you will still remember any of this season's games in 2-3 years time. Personally I can not watch any of those games twice. And I did not tape any of the games this season for my collection, that's probably the best indicator.

No, none of this season's games stand out in my memory. The only cool thing I remember was Giggs against Fiorentina and 2 Batistuta goals in CL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts