Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a small article on the Yahoo World Cup site, more Baggio fervor is up due to his performance against Fiorentina and the fact that both Pessotto and Albertini have been ruled out of the WC. This seems to leave two spots open on the team and if Baggio made the team now, Trap would not have to sacrifice one of his strikers. He could take Baggio as an attacking midfielder, or have Totti or DP play that and have Baggio as a forward. Either way, Trap is going to continue to have pressure on him to add Baggio to the team. In my opinion (and, yes, I'm a big Baggio fan) if Baggio continues to show good form and fitness, he should make the squad as a substitute. He brings skills that few players in the world have and is a difference maker. He could be a great player off the bench in the last 20-30 minutes. As I said before, Trap could take Baggio as an attacking midfielder and still take Totti, DP, Delvecchio, Doni, Inzaghi, and Montella as his strikers. I still believe he could replace Delvecchio or Inzaghi with Baggio.

·
Registered
51 Posts
first of all,he never showed form and fitness since his return,so he can't "continue"; as long as the ball bounces his way 1 yard from the goal line with the goalie out of the way he'll keep scoring in bunches,like you and I would as well...
at least you aknowledge that his only possible role in the italian squad is a late substitute when scoring is desperately needed (because there's no way he can play as offensive midfielder in competitive football and Trapattoni confirmed in the same tv interview that Roby couldn't get it done there even before the knee injury),but Trapattoni obviously is projecting Montella in that role,and Di Vaio before Baggio if injuries occur.
you say that the defections of Pessotto and Albertini opened a spot for Baggio...but it's not like those two were going to Japan on vacation,Trapattoni will and MUST find adequate replacements and Baggio is not; Fiore and a winger are the solutions IMO.
Baggio for Delvecchio or Pippo also is a no-no in Trapattoni's mind: he knows very well Vieri is injury prone and he thinks he needs a big striker who can assist those world class midgets who compose Italy's roster of forwards > Delvecchio.Pippo offers the quality of an aggressive finisher,someone who will fight and scramble his way to the goal in the box and on the edge of the off-side line,something Baggio can't provide.
going into the WC a coach likes to have as many tactical and technical options as possible..because he can adjust to opponents' weaknesses and strenght,he'll never substitute Pippo and Delvecchio with Roby,even if they get injured: the race is with Montella,and eventually Del Piero

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If Trap should pick another striker for the last 20 minutes of the game, it has to be Di Vaio. The guy is fast and would be a perfect weapon against a tired defence.

And BTW I hope that the first choice after Vieri is Montella, and not Inzaghi. Inzagh-DP doesn't work anymore while Montella and DP are great together.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
no-one said:
Pippo offers the quality of an aggressive finisher,someone who will fight and scramble his way to the goal in the box and on the edge of the off-side line,something Baggio can't provide.
I don't agree with this. I think if Baggio was told to play this role he could do it easily, his hunger for goal is second to none. I don't think Pippo has anything that Baggio can't offer.
He wouldn't have to play this role anyway because we have Vieri and Montella, two strikers with an instinct for goal just as good as Inzaghi and they can actually score with the chances they are given.

------------------Totti

---Montella----------------Vieri

I would like to see this attack playing in the WC for us, imagine how dangerous we would be on set pieces and corners with two guys who score with the head as much as Vieri and Montella!!

If( huge IF) the miracle happens and a fit Baggio goes to the WC, he could come on in the 2nd half in Totti's place for that bit of magic that would be very helpful against teams like France. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
IL TORO said:
I don't agree with this. I think if Baggio was told to play this role he could do it easily, his hunger for goal is second to none. I don't think Pippo has anything that Baggio can't offer.
c'mon,Baggio isn't nearly as physical as Pippo and can't play as first striker: it's like apples and oranges.
and because Italy can't be expected to take possession of opponents' own half,we need strikers who can fight to protect the ball and overrun markers...which again Baggio is not

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Yea Pippo really fights hard - getting caught offsides 8 times a match and falling down whenever touched lightly, not to mention his constant crying and bitching. Real fighter. Not.
I can't remember the last time Inzaghi fought off a marker. He's a poacher, nothing more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
primo i couldnt agree more w/you. i dont see where all this controversy about baggio going to the world cup is coming from. if baggio is fit, he goes period!!!! his reputation not to mention his achievement at the international level is simply undeniable. for all the detractors let me refresh your memory-w.cup 94-the only reason italy was there was due to baggio!! in france the same scenario in that you had all of these detractors who knocked baggio for his age,praised these others like zagi and what happened when he was included-his impact was defining for italy-just look at the chile game.i was reminded just what a poacher inzaghi is in how he squandered a real sitter of a goal whereas we all know what old man baggio did? thes guys who praise inzaghi are smoking CRACK. the guy is strictly a club player that has totally failed w/the nazionale. i mean how many starts has pippo-pue made and scored for italy?? i know baggios contribution has been minimal right? i dont care about zagi's current form that he had a huge role in italy's qualifing which was against joke opposition. can someone explain to me what is so great about inzaghi-what did this guy due that was so great??? hes an embarrasment to italian futbol-a real wuss who is a disgrace to the likes of casaraghi,vialli,rava and other hard nose strikers. just another excuse for the english to knock the "softness" of italian futbol and of course all those weak defences-okay. just b/c one scores alot doesnt automatically make them great-any of you guys can probably name dozens of prolific club strikersmwho have sucked internationally. all of this emphasis on age in futbol is b...****!! world class futbolers are not raw young talents w/alot of flamboyance-such players are a dime a dozen. its all about EXPERIENCE and established achievement. zidane,figo,luis enrique & BAGGIO are all proven winners to name a few. they have consistently achieved at the highest level. they have the ability to enter the pitch and change the course of a game w/ a single flick or turn on the ball. can inzaghi truly due this? i know baggio can and more importanly HAS!! look both baggio and inzaghi wouldnt be starters for italy but rather supersubs. you better hope the service is good to zaghi b/c hes not scoring if it isnt. unlike baggio who can roam,fall back and create something from nothing and of coarse score. i can understand trap wanting delvec. as an adequate replace for vieri but to take inzaghi over baggio is disgraceful. baggio is a true class act that is way more versatile and accomplished than favored inzaghi. drop inzaghi-he's had his chance and failed. this is old news of speculating over who brings more to the table. both baggio and zaghi played already in the same team( in france) france and we all know who was better. zaghi has had his chances many times before w/nazionale and proven below par. del piero should still go b/c he is still class albeit a playmaker kind of striker-why not try him at left wing? trap please pick baggio-this would be the culmination of a phenomenal career. italy finally have a world cup team capable of winning it all-to not take baggio is criminal. trap stop the bull**** favortism and pick the proven winners. as del piero and zaghi continue to compromise thier reps w/childish outspokeness the legend of the modest divine ponytail is as strong as ever. if italy doesnt take baggio to asia where i remind you he is revered, and lose the world cup, shame on them!!! vieri and montella to start,delvec.,dp, and baggio to sub-the winning formula!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Inzaghi physical?!?!? HAHAHAHA, you must be on medication. The guy hardly weighs 50 kg.
Baggio can play striker, forward or whatever you wanna call it. He can play and play magnificently, period.
"Italy can't be expected to take possession of opponents' own half". Then how do they expect to win a World Cup?!?!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
no-one, I don't know where you get the idea that Pippa is a physical player. :confused: He's probably one of the skinniest, pansiest players in the Serie A. I've never seen him overrun markers too many times(if ever), unless you consider diving to be the same thing. Baggio is not a physical player either but he doesn't need momentum to get past a marker, he uses the pair of feet that God blessed him with. :)
I don't think Pippa has anything over Baggio, maybe he's a little bit taller and faster but other than that, nothing. If Baggio was to play as a pure striker he'd be 1000X better than Inzaghi. I think we're really wasting time with bringing Inzaghi again.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Compare Baggio's scoring, passing, vision, playmaking, free kicking and you see there is indeed no comparison. This subject just proves that Baggio detractors will go to any length to try to cut him down. Unsuccessfully, of course. ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Noone now Im tired, u have pass the limits and I dont see a lot of possibilities about the man who is behind his keyboard...

U must be very young to try to keep ur obstination against Baggio...Probably u never saw who is Maradona so u cant understand what is the REAL generation of PURE TEKNIKAL Players with a big "P"... I dont want to insult u or things like this, Im just making an observation about fact...One of this fact is that u have pm me to insult me and to tell me with a very poor italian that u was italian too, but italian people, my boy, are people with a big heart who always beleive in miracle...

In our soccer history a lot of time we took controversial paths and after slows starts we did some amazing things...1982 and 1994 r the best example... I still renember like it was yesterday our last WC, after the 3 tie all the press were injurying the NT, then Italy came out with a striker who didnt play for 3 years cauz of a bet story and who has all the media against (now they have learn)

The result is that we took the 1st place in the much harder groups over Brazil and Argentina and the we all know what it happen...

Returning on Baggio, and now Im talking about fact, when u say that he cant do nothing that others strikers could do I must say that u must have misunderstood what football is in Europe!!!!Its not the same sport as the one who is call football in the states obviously.

Baggio IS a great player, he was not, he IS, until his last day of pro football...With Baggio Brescia was on the train of CL without him they was last of the league, does this mean nothing to u, a such big difference???

When u talk about Inzaghi, u have forgot that he is too quiet old (near 30) and that he perform in the league from over 7 years but u must not renemeber how much he plays in 98!!!!!Inzaghi had a spot in the NT only because Baggio was out after 98 and Vieri often injuried, only for this, cauz Inzaghi is not a world class player, like Delvecchio....Even Totti has still to prove that he is a real leader, in a WC every aspect changes...Montella is doing fine but we cant be sure that he will do the same in the WC, Vieri has physikal problem, DP is DP....SO Baggio is still the only one under who we can realy count, cauz NEVER he disapointed his country...

Now if u still want to tell about the 2 goals agaisnt Fio u should take a look at the other 178 and mybe u will understand...OK? Now make me a favour, before posting here agains return to the school of soccer and take ur book and read read read and read maybe one day u will understand but now u r not allow to talk anymore about Baggio if it is to tell so big stupidities...

PS: For the physikal "problems" and knowing the fact that u say that u r italian read this article to start ur lesson

Baggio sta meglio che nel 1994: lo dice il Test di Mognoni

Da alcune prove atletiche del Codino emerge uno stato di forma ottimale

Baggio è un portento di calciatore, ma anche un fenomeno di atleta. Per quanti avessero ancora dei dubbi sulle sue condizioni fisiche, ci sono alcuni dati che serviranno a fare chiarezza: il Codino è stato sottoposto al Test di Mognoni, prova che serve a stimare la velocità di soglia anaerobica, come indice di resistenza organica generale.
Il risultato? Baggio sta meglio che nel 1994, prima dei Mondiali Usa, quando ottenne risultati inferiori.
Roberto ha terminato con una frequenza cardiaca di 173 bpm, con lattacidemia di 3.82 mM, corrispondente ad una velocità di soglia anaerobica di 13.4 km/h (applicando la formula b del test di Mognoni).
Questi dati, rilevati al centro Isokinetic di Bologna, sono stati confrontati con quelli raccolti nel 1994, con lo stesso Test di Mognoni, somministrato agli atleti della Nazionale Italiana, durante la preparazione pre-mondiale.
In quell'occasione Roberto aveva fatto sempre registrare lattacidemie significativamente superiori.

·
Registered
15 Posts
haha.........u ppl wish inzaghi was out eh? lol...................he s traps fav striker.....n there s no way he s gonna be dropped for baggio......besides i think inzaghi is a good striker.......i think del piero should be removed.....he s abs crap!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Noone now Im tired, u have pass the limits and I dont see a lot of possibilities about the man who is behind his keyboard...
LOOOOOOOL !!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Great words Sagha, I'd back you up anyday bro.

Some ppl just don't get it in their thick skulls that Baggio STILL IS A BRILLIANT PLAYER. He may not be as fast as the younger forwards but he has the best vision, the finest passing and a superb one-touch on the ball not to mention his hunger for scoring goals. And he is an excellent freekick scorer. He does exactly what is expected of him and that is score and create goals. THIS IS A FACT, you can't in any way argue with this. As for his fitness, that'll be revealed on Sunday. The WC starts on the 30th May, Baggio WILL be more than ready untill then, have no doubts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sagha said:
uh,yes i think i surpassed your limitations by miles...

U must be very young to try to keep ur obstination against Baggio...Probably u never saw who is Maradona so u cant understand what is the REAL generation of PURE TEKNIKAL Players with a big "P"...
when will you stop assuming everyone who's not in agreement with you must be a kindergartner or just stupid? i'll tell you one thing "big man"...the one adjustment i had to do growing up was humility,getting aware that my opinions are not the truth and still continue backing them because are what i believe in,but respecting others' as well.you introduce yourself as a grown man but don't seem to have understood that simple and hard lesson in life,trying to belittle other people - not even their arguments - from the height of your supposed "seniority right".that's bull****,and frankly you're an unpleasant person to have to deal with; you wasted all your years
I dont want to insult u or things like this, Im just making an observation about fact...One of this fact is that u have pm me to insult me and to tell me with a very poor italian that u was italian too,
and not only you're presumptous,but also a rat and a liar at the same time...i called you "scemo" - which is the italian equivalent of "silly" for those who can't appreciate it - for claiming in a previous post that you "knew better" because you were italian...since i'm italian myself,everyone can realize your argument was silly; i just don't go bragging about it all over the site like you do.and people believe me,the guy probably can speak italian as fluently as he does english...who knows what he means by "poor italian" :rolleyes:
private messages are there for a reason: privacy.mentioning it on the forum to try to dicredit me in front of the public audience is as mean and miserable as it gets...
In our soccer history a lot of time we took controversial paths and after slows starts we did some amazing things...1982 and 1994 r the best example... I still renember like it was yesterday our last WC, after the 3 tie all the press were injurying the NT, then Italy came out with a striker who didnt play for 3 years cauz of a bet story and who has all the media against (now they have learn)

The result is that we took the 1st place in the much harder groups over Brazil and Argentina and the we all know what it happen...
i like that you mentioned 1982,our greatest triumph: it was boosted by team spirit as much as Rossi's scoring (who was 28 i think,and still had most of his knee ligaments).the same happened in EURO 2000; face it,our greatest challenges came when the effort was general.in 1974 we went into the WC as favorites with an outstanding group of talents and failed miserably...it's the team that wins,every single one is expendable.
that's the main difference between you and me: i'm a true Italy fan,you're Baggio fan who pretends that Roby's good HAS to be the good of the team.nuff said

Returning on Baggio, and now Im talking about fact, when u say that he cant do nothing that others strikers could do I must say that u must have misunderstood what football is in Europe!!!!Its not the same sport as the one who is call football in the states obviously.
keep the day job,you're a poor comedian too

Baggio IS a great player, he was not, he IS, until his last day of pro football...With Baggio Brescia was on the train of CL without him they was last of the league, does this mean nothing to u, a such big difference???
it tells me Baggio had injured himself again,and still hasn't recovered

When u talk about Inzaghi, u have forgot that he is too quiet old (near 30)
this must be another attempt to a joke,right?! :confused: :rolleyes:
and that he perform in the league from over 7 years but u must not renemeber how much he plays in 98!!!!!Inzaghi had a spot in the NT only because Baggio was out after 98 and Vieri often injuried, only for this, cauz Inzaghi is not a world class player, like Delvecchio....
see team vs. player argument.stars need complementary pieces to shine: this is modern football (the one played in europe and south america,btw don't get confused...)
Even Totti has still to prove that he is a real leader, in a WC every aspect changes...Montella is doing fine but we cant be sure that he will do the same in the WC, Vieri has physikal problem, DP is DP....SO Baggio is still the only one under who we can realy count, cauz NEVER he disapointed his country...
yeah,he played a superb final in 1994,great pk btw,and what about the goal against France in 1998? wasn't that fantastic? the harder you try to make him look like some superhero,the more you sound like a superdud

Now if u still want to tell about the 2 goals agaisnt Fio u should take a look at the other 178 and mybe u will understand...OK?
no dude,YOU don't understand...this is May 2002.press the fast forward 'cos you were left behind
Now make me a favour, before posting here agains return to the school of soccer and take ur book and read read read and read maybe one day u will understand but now u r not allow to talk anymore about Baggio if it is to tell so big stupidities...
big fat conceived old citizen with no life i presume...

·
Registered
51 Posts
about the "physical Inzaghi"

alright,i should have found a better definition but i couldn't think of it; sure he can't muscle his way as a ram,but he also doesn't get outmuscled like Baggio does,and he's willing to take the punishment in the box which Baggio will or can not.
and as someone pointed out ironically,he lives on the offside line which can be a plus or a minus depending on the day but certainly IS a different living than Baggio's.
whether you think Pippo doesn't deserve to be in the squad or not,i'm discussing about REALISTIC scenarios not grown up kids' dreams,and Baggio can only "steal" the seat from Montella or Del Piero..or come as 6th striker

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Sagha I think we struck a nerve. Must've taken him(no-one) a whole day to come up with that, poor him. :D

Only thing this fooo can talk about is Baggio's PK miss in 94, puhlease. Just when I think his posts can't get more pathetic he outdoes himself.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
He's slowly retreating, but you can't convince a cow to fly! Don't worry about him. All that matters is what Trapp thinks and what Baggio does on the pitch in the coming weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's funny how Baggio haters keep bringing up the 94 penalty shootout and place the blame soly on Baggio.

IT'S WAS NOT ALL BAGGIO'S FAULT. It's obvious that many of you Baggio haters don't even remember what happened during that shootout. Maybe it's because your to young.

Here are the results of the shootout:

Penalty Kicks 1 2 3 4 5
Brazil - x x x
Italy - x x - -

(ITA) Baresi F. Missed
(BRA) Marcio Santos Saved
(ITA) Albertini D. Goal
(BRA) Romario Goal
(ITA) Evani A. Goal
(BRA) Branco Goal
(ITA) Massaro D. Saved
(BRA) Dunga Goal
(ITA) Baggio R. Missed

How about we blame Franco Baresi and D. Massaro as well, since they also failed to convert their PK's. Hey, doesn't this info also show that even if Baggio did convert the decisive PK, Brazil still had another chance to win the cup.

I believe that Baggio got a Bum Rap after 94, and endured all the blame for Italy's failure. That is a load of SH1T.

DP fans should stop bringing up 94, because their hero missed NOT ONE, but TWO very easy chances in the final of EURO2000.
Way to go DP!!!

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Baggio..............

well he got us to the final in 94, whil;e dp sucked ****.

Baggio...for WC!

Lav

1 - 20 of 35 Posts