Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiorentina midfielder Riccardo Montolivo is the unlucky player to have been axed from Italy's Euro 2008 squad by coach Roberto Donadoni.

Donadoni had taken the unusual step of naming a provisional squad of just 24 players, meaning that only one would face European heartbreak when he trimmed it down to the final 23.

The fact it is Montolivo to miss out will come as little surprise as the 23-year-old has just one cap to his name.

World champions Italy kick off their campaign against Holland on June 9 before facing Romania and France in their remaining Group C fixtures.

Italy squad: Amelia (Livorno), Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Sevilla); Barzagli (Palermo), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Chiellini (Juventus), Grosso (Lyon), Materazzi (Internazionale), Panucci (Roma), Zambrotta (Barcelona); Ambrosini, Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso, Perrotta (Roma), Pirlo; Borriello (Genoa), Cassano (Real Madrid); Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Quagliarella (Udinese), Toni (Bayern Munich).

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Gamberini has been , alongside Chellini admitedly, one of the best if not the best defender in Seria A all year and he isn´t in the list. Monto not making it doesn´t surprise me at all.

Feel much worse for Gamberini as he has been in cracking form.

Another viola-less italia squad. shocking :rollani:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Another viola-less italia squad. shocking :rollani:
Finally, I understand why italian national team is always viola-less simply because they always want old players to play and Fiorentina is mainly focuses in young players cause they are the future!

Fiorentina is the best club in the calcio this season, everyone knows that but everyone can't admit it

Sorry guyz, I know some of you here are italian but beside my support to Portugal, I will support Romania and France and I wish they will rule out italy in the first round.

let Monto relax and get ready for the CL, we have so much to give for ONLY firenze next season

·
Registered
69,969 Posts
I´m sorry for Montolivo and for Gamberini too. They deserved to be there.

But it´s the world champions NT. It´s difficult to make the squad you know.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
He's only played in 1 friendly for the senior side so I think he's still eligible to change nationalities, I believe. Italy will always have Perrottas and Ambrosinis around.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
What bothers me more, is that now there is very big possibility that he'll be called for Olympic games...

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Italy will be lucky to make it past the group stage...might as well screw up here as opposed to the world cup - get Donadoni out ASAP.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
If the squad was called on the basis of this season alone Gamberini and Montolivo would easily make it ahead of guys like Barzagli, Materazzi, Gattuso and even Pirlo, but the problem is that these guys have been in the Italy squad for years and Donadoni knows its not easy to replace them. I think Gamberini and Montolivo will be important for 2010.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well on the whole the difference between Monto and Aquilani is quite small, indeed Montolivo has better chance of consistency as he had no major injuries like Aquilani this season, but Aquilani showed on the big stages his incredible potential, and of course the big stage is what matters most in this tournament.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Montolivo (especially during the second half of the season) was the best Fiorentina midfielder and week-in and week-out had to perform at that level. Aquilani (according to the Azzurri call-ups and the fact that Pizarro was the Serie A assist leader) was the junior member of what must be the greatest club midfield ever assembled.

Montolivo was always on a bigger stage because he was more heavily relied upon.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Aquilani has been a member of the NT for a while and also was huge in many big games for Roma. He deserved his spot.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
Aquilani is better than Montolivo at this point. I don't know what else you want as an explanantion. It's simple, this is why he is there over Montolivo. This thread is extremely childish....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts