Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Montolivo is NOT PIRLO!

Montolivo; Another Pirlo - Or Another Waste of Talent?

Riccardo Montolivo, with two 'c's signed for La Viola in the Summer. Since then, his touch and movement have caught the eyes of the Viola tifosi along with the adoring eyes of the opposition fans. Montolivio is currently being touted as the next big thing in Italian football. His natural position, the central attacking midfield area, is where he has shone most. However it is not a position which he can occupy regularly due to the normal, free flowing 4-4-2 system of manager Cesare Prandelli.

Montolivo has been given a few games since his arrival but he has not been a regular starter for several reasons. Firstly, it is not ideal for any young footballer to feel the pressure of having to perform week in week out, nor is it ideal to tire a young player by playing him every week. Secondly, it is important that the youngster be eased in gently to make sure he keeps his feet on the ground. Despite these reasons, it seems that Prandelli is holding Montolivo back for reasons far simpler - he has nowhere to play him. Prandelli has used very little other than the successful 4-4-2 he started with since he took to the helm, leaving Montolivio to struggle for a first team place. Like any other professional, professionl footballer. He worked hard in training and attemped to prove himself whenever he took to the pitch.

Montolivo has been known to come of the bench many times and recently he has been playing in a witheld position in midfield, similar to Milan and Italy international Andrea Pirlo. Montolivo, equipped with his elegant grace and touch has performed well in the position he has been utilised in. So well in fact, Pirlo himself has proclaimed 'he could be my hier'. A rather astonishing statement made by a player who clearly is at the top of his game. First choice starter for Italy and Milan, Pirlo can do no wrong currently. Despite the great Pirlo's declaration of quality on behalf of Montolivo, who clearly sees the Viola youngster as his understudy, it does not neccesarily mean that Montolivio has to follow in his footsteps.

Pirlo himself was once an attacking midfield player, however the likes of Rui Costa and Kaka would make his entrance into the team almost impossible. That was until Ancelotti asked Pirlo to try the defensive midfield position. It seemed to work perfectly, Pirlo stated 'I was comfortable with the position immediately'. Perhaps it was a calling that was missed by Pirlo. His dribbling skills may have blinded his ability to hold the ball so well, he could actually play in a holding position. Despite this success story, it does not mean, by any strech of the imagination, that the entire population of attacking midfield players are born to be converted into holding midfield players. Especially someone as talented and versatile as Montolivo, who can also play on the left side of midfield.

The Fiorentina squad are in shortage of attacking midfield talent. In fact, Stefano Fiore aside - who is actually a right winger - there are no other adequate players that Fiorentina have that can play in that position. It is important to maintain and use talents like Montolivo's. Despite their success this season, I Viola are guilty of a lack of creativity in midfield. A creativity that can be offered by a player of Montolivio's class. It can go on further and translate onto the international stage. The new generation beckons for Italy. Montolivo clearly has the talent, so why should he replace Pirlo when he can replace Totti?

Angelo Firenze

EDIT: Montolivo's name has now been spelt correctly. :D

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
no offense but isnt his name Montolivo lol,and he's waste of talent at this point,he might get good in the future,when he hits the gym lol:D

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Who wrote this? :rolleyes:

1. Like LT said, his name is Montolivo.
2. The author gives no real reasons for his assertion that Montolivo is no Pirlo, he just says it's not his position. What kind of argumentation is that?
3. Fiore is NOT a right winger, he's an attacking mid.

Sounds like some tribalfootball crap to me. :tongue:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Fiore for Fiorentina plays RM I guess.

As for Montolivo, he is an attacking mid playing as a deep lying playmaker of late for Fiorentina.

If Liverani was to join Fiorentina then Montolivo should move unless Prandelli moves Montolivo the left or right or unless Montolivo is played as a number 10 behind one striker.

I think he is a star of the future, but obviously he is 22 this year sometime and the belief needs to be shown soon.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well Fiore has been playing rght mid for about 5 years now so its up to you really.

We may as well be calling Pirlo a trequartista still even though he hasnt played there for 4 years.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Deano said:
Well Fiore has been playing rght mid for about 5 years now so its up to you really.

We may as well be calling Pirlo a trequartista still even though he hasnt played there for 4 years.
It doesn't necessarily matter where someone is played, but rather which qualities he brings through his predence on the field. Fiore is not the classic right winger like Figo who is supposed to provide crosses all the time, he's a player who likes to push into the centre to open up an attack with a pass, i.e. an attacking mid like Seedorf. So if Fiore had been played in his natural position, no one would even remember Montolivo. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
lineup for the future. (no chance in hell prandelli would use it)

----------frey-------------

-Ujfalusi--Koldrup--Pasqual-

-----donadel/brocchi-------

jiminez-------------jorg?---

-------montolivo-----------

-----Bojinov-----Pazzini----

-----------Toni------------

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mago said:
Who wrote this? :rolleyes:

1. Like LT said, his name is Montolivo.
2. The author gives no real reasons for his assertion that Montolivo is no Pirlo, he just says it's not his position. What kind of argumentation is that?
3. Fiore is NOT a right winger, he's an attacking mid.

Sounds like some tribalfootball crap to me. :tongue:

Wow,

You totally missed the point. The article was arguing the idea Montolivo should not be changed into a defensive midfield player, the comparison to Pirlo is obvious because that's what they did to him. Pirlo himself even commented on it.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Pirlo is a better trequartista probably if he was ever given the chance but no one remembers this. Firoe has been RM for a long time.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Firenze said:
Wow,

You totally missed the point. The article was arguing the idea Montolivo should not be changed into a defensive midfield player, the comparison to Pirlo is obvious because that's what they did to him. Pirlo himself even commented on it.
how can he be a Defensive midfielder when his body is like a little stick,he should hit the gym and get more aggresive!! :nasty:

·
Registered
904 Posts
LucaToni said:
how can he be a Defensive midfielder when his body is like a little stick,he should hit the gym and get more aggresive!! :nasty:
Yeah, he needs to hit the gym and get huge, like Pirlo. ;)

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I don't consider Pirlo a DM, at all. He is a deep-lying playmaker. He just plays in the area of the field where DMs are normally played. I think that having a playmaker playing alongside a ball-winner (ala Pirlo/Gattuso) can be, obviously, effective. Brocchi or Donadel wins the ball, gets it to Montolivo; Montolivo takes the ball through the center of the field and distributes to the wings, forwards, whatever. Why not?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
CRSvideo said:
Yeah, he needs to hit the gym and get huge, like Pirlo. ;)
yea lol,but montolivo is really tiny :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
LucaToni said:
yea lol,but montolivo is really tiny :rolleyes:
yeah, but as Nicky says, noone can expect Montolivo in role of anchor, he would be great as a playmaker and that's it all

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
NickyTheHeel said:
I don't consider Pirlo a DM, at all. He is a deep-lying playmaker. He just plays in the area of the field where DMs are normally played. I think that having a playmaker playing alongside a ball-winner (ala Pirlo/Gattuso) can be, obviously, effective. Brocchi or Donadel wins the ball, gets it to Montolivo; Montolivo takes the ball through the center of the field and distributes to the wings, forwards, whatever. Why not?

Agreed, Pirlo is not a DM in the present sense of the word. He is kind of a throw back to when the deeper lying midfielder was also the field general. See Gerson or Didi of the classic Brazilian sides for a sense of the position. If he was in Spain, Pirlo might be called the 'pivote" or the deep lying midfielder who ignites the attack.

I've followed Montolivo since Atalanta (when I could catch a game) and he is definitely not a deep lying playmaker.......but then again, niether was Pirlo. I think the comparison to Pirlo is not totally insane. Pirlo has learned to play some defense, but he is also thin, not terribly strong and is protected by Gattuso, the watch dog.

I think Montolivo has more potential to play teh Zidane/Baggio sort of role in the central midfield where he is allowed free reign to run the midfield. I think Totti plays more forward than Montolivo, but Montolivo is still so young that he could well adapt to any area given the chance.

Another comparison might be Rui Costa in how they control the ball and distribute to all areas of the field.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts