Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roma's Italian International and serie A leading scorer Vincenzo Montella has re-signed with the Giallorossi until 2010.Montella who has found his old form after a long run of unfortunate Injury problems,Has stated that he's delighted to remain with the club from the capital and believes in their project for the future.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
I love Montella, but I think this is a mistake. :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It could be a mistake, but i think it's still a good sign in some ways. Chivu has signed on and most of the other boys have a few years left on their contracts for now. The main problem now is re-signing Totti and Cassano (assuming he wants to stay). :hopefull: :)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Romanista10 said:
I love Montella, but I think this is a mistake. :(
I know what you are meaning,Romanista10.I do not think it is a mistake to resign Montella,its more of a risk.For sure,in a couple of years he may be slower and end up like Del Vecchio.We just have to make sure that we manage to time his sale before that happens.Always better to sell and player who is on his way down rather than they burden your club with their excessive wages.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ROMA 10 said:
.We just have to make sure that we manage to time his sale before that happens.
That won't happen. If we couldn't give him away with complementary peanuts this past summer, we're in for a tough time in, say three years time when he adds little and lifts a heavy paycheck.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Before last summer,he looked like a player in demise,not a player about to be named Serie A's top scorer.Lets put everything into perspective.There are teams like Fiorentina and Palermo who would dearly love to have him,and he is constantly linked with Milan.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
It was wise to re-sign Montella, but not until 2010. A 2-3 year deal would have been perfect. And yes, Montella is the #1 scorer in Serie A with 20 goals and thats fantastic and all, but Montella has always been too streaky. His final numbers are great, but he scores too many goals in bunches. He will score like a ridiculous amount of goals for a month, and then he won't score for a month. I like the Sheva or Gilardino type scorer who seem to score almost every week. I'll take 1 goal a game rather than a game with 2-3 goals and then you don't score for a few weeks.

I am not knocking Montella, this is just the player he is. I mean how long did it take for him to reach 20 goals, like forever. I remember he was on pace for like 35 goals so to only have 20 with 8 games left is disappointing. Yes, a 20 goal season should never be considered disappointing, but in this case, I feel it is slightly.

Look at Totti, I am reading on other threads that he is having one of his worst seasons and is possibly on the downside of his career. He has 12 goals and 8 assists this season and even I must say I consider this a down year for Totti. But I think Totti's season is a reflection of the state of Roma (coaching fiascos, injuries, stupid suspensions, and a depressing atmosphere). I think Totti is in his prime and will be for another 3-4 years.

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
wow 3-4 years.... i dont think so....you usually see a decline in players at the age of 29...and thats for attacking midfielders....so you should notice a difference after or during the world cup...lets hope that he is in blazing form along with gila and cassano for the world cup!!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
For how much money that is what I want to know. Montella will be evetnually our fourth striker, he will slow down definately but his scoring instincts and his touch won't go away so I think it wasn't the worst decision.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Normally a great player who avoids injury is in his prime from the ages of 27-32. Zidane and Nedved are such players winning awards like European Footballer of the Year even after the age of 30. Totti is only 28, so he definitely has 3-4 great years left.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
But I think Totti's season is a reflection of the state of Roma (coaching fiascos, injuries, stupid suspensions, and a depressing atmosphere). I think Totti is in his prime and will be for another 3-4 years.
Tony, are you genuinely saying you think it's ok for Totti to have an off year because of the shit going on at Roma, but you're dissapointed that Montella isn't closer to the 35 goal mark? Vincenzo's had to put up with that mess too you know, and he's still been one of the best strikers in Europe. From what i've seen over the past two months, the entire team's been in disarray(even more so than normal), it's no surprise that Vincenzo isn't banging them in as regularly as he did at the start of the season, not much a striker can do without decent service.

I for one had a big smile etched across my face when i read this. Sure there's a lot of sentiment behind it, and i do share your concerns that Vincenzo might not be able to produce to 2010, but deep down in my gut, i think we've made a great move, just my instinct;)

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
i might sound evil for this but rite now i dont care...its almost time for juve to lose!! LOL but i would have sold monty...and then re-assured cassano that he was stayin....here is my reasoning!!

totti + cassano = one of the best duo in europe...second place last season!!

totti +montella = unproven and not very effective ( maybe because of bad service??)

cassano + montella = pretty good last match very good team game

so with all three cases cassano has proved to be good....totti did say that after he retires he wanted cassano to have the arm badge...and cassano did come to roma because of his idol francesco totti...why sell a 23 year old when he is about to enter his prime??? why sell a great player when roberto baggio said himself he is gonna be one of the greatest strikers for italy...yes he might have some attitude problems...yes he plays great...yes he does act childish...but look where he came from its time we start accepting who he is and not all people are perfect...if we have to comprimise our check balance for him to stay i would do it...i would never let juve get there hands on our cassano...im just sick of everybody bashing him...i know im a hypocrit because in the heat of the moment i did call him a juve lover in the italian NT forum i think but montella can be sold back to sampadoria where he can finish his career and hopefully we re-sign dellas only to sell him this summer so we have enuff money to keep him!! he is too huge to let go!!

just my opinion so if you think im wrong then go ahead and state it but its just seems like common sense to keep a soon to be #1 striker in italy....

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
romafan53 said:
Tony, are you genuinely saying you think it's ok for Totti to have an off year because of the shit going on at Roma, but you're dissapointed that Montella isn't closer to the 35 goal mark?
No I apologize, I was trying to say that Montella has 20 goals and Totti has his 12 goals and 8 assists, yet I am slightly disappointed in their play this season. I expected better numbers after both had great 1st half stats. But IMO Totti has alot left in him, but Montella I think only has a good 2 quality years left.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
And the all important salary figures:
Roma, 13 apr - Nell'ambito dell'implementazione della propria strategia di valorizzazione del parco calciatori, l'A.S. Roma S.p.A. comunica di avere raggiunto un accordo per il prolungamento del contratto economico ad oggi in vigore, e scadente il 30 giugno 2006 con il calciatore Vincenzo MONTELLA, che vestirà la maglia giallorossa fino alla data del 30 giugno 2010. Lo si apprende da un comunicato. L'accordo di durata quinquennale prevede il riconoscimento al calciatore di un compenso lordo di € 6,8 milioni, per la stagione sportiva 2005/2006, ridotto di € 1,2 milioni rispetto alle condizioni economiche ad oggi in vigore, di € 6,4 milioni, per la stagione sportiva 2006/2007, di € 5,5 milioni, per la stagione sportiva 2007/2008, di € 4,5 milioni per la stagione 2008/2009, nonché di € 2,7 milioni, per la stagione sportiva 2009/2010.
I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously I am extremely biased and I believe that he can still score tons of goals for the next 5 years...but realistically the odds are not great.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Demandred said:
And the all important salary figures:

I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously I am extremely biased and I believe that he can still score tons of goals for the next 5 years...but realistically the odds are not great.
It has to be sais that while Montella will be happy he is on a long contract,the club also will be happy his wages are on a sliding scale,the older he gets,the less wages he earns.That makes him more accessible for other clubs to approach him unlike the scenario that we were in with Candela and Del Vecchio.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
sinoy1,you're reasoning lacks reason.
I think we all want Cassano to stay if:
  • he wants to stay, of course, and willing to mature and be professional.
  • if it doesn’t mean risking the financial future of the club. no, we shouldn’t compromise our check balance for any player cause that compromises the future of the club (after all that we’ve been through an with our current financial situation people should know better).

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
ya i was feeling a bit crazy there just the thought of liverpool beating juve was in my mind so i went a little overboard eh? lol good job romafan53 for makin me look dumb!!! :stress: and now i will go hide and watch the liverpool match ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts