28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their any need to look any futher? :stuckup:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zangari_Italia said:
Is their any need to look any furher for Italia NT's attack?
Montella is sensational when speared from injuries, Gilardino is a consistant young striker, that with age, probably will only improve.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Also with Vieri as back up.

I will worry about what strikers we have when Montella gets injured or starts to go crap with age.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
No Bobo, please. If you ask for him, you should ask for ADP as well.

Gilardino is the man....Montella? Hmmm....he's on fire now, a player I like a lot, but I don't know if he is going to keep his form and fitness for 18 months. If the WC was today, I'd take him, but we have to see what he'll do until there.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
WHy no Bobo. He is playing a lot better and we all know what he can do in an international tournaments, and I am not talking about the last one. Don't insult Vieri, he is a good player, if he can put in the back of the net he should be considered.

·
Registered
46,529 Posts
1) Vieri - he is still the best center forward we have
2) Montella - I don't agree with Roberto here, I consider Montella a special player. He could even play alongside Vieri.
3) Gilardino - the only promising forward we have
4) Iaquinta - I have just watched Iaquinta at Marassi and he is indeed a very good alternative to Vieri.
5) Cipriani - another alternative to Vieri, he is more technically skilled than Bobo, but he must score more goals.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interista said:
Yep forgetting about Bobo, Diavolo.

?
Absolutely not, but I believe that Montella&Gilardino are a good enough assorted duo. Vieri on the bench though, so he'll have to "fight" for playing, plus if your on the bench, nothing forbids a trainer to eventually field him.

Their is ONLY one player I don't wish to see wearing Azzurro again :stuckup: and it ain't Vieri ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Montella and Gilardino would be a perfect backup to Vieri,Cassano. Vieri will only be 32 at the next WC. If he continues his good form he should get the start. There's lots of time for Gilardino. If Vieri is playing poorly and Gila is in top form then it's a different story. Vieri's a top world class striker who has proven him self on the world stage. And we shouldn't judge him from his 3 poor matches last summer. Focus on all the great games he's played for his country. As for Cassano I believe he is the chosen one to lead Italy in the next WC.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jimmy C said:
As for Cassano I believe he is the chosen one to lead Italy in the next WC.
I'd love to see Cassano playing in what was once Donadoni's position, it will never happen but I would love to see it happen. When in Bari, he played their, rather succesfully too. Montella, when in form, simply scores every match, whilst Gila, is our future.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Zangari_Italia said:
WHy no Bobo. He is playing a lot better and we all know what he can do in an international tournaments, and I am not talking about the last one. Don't insult Vieri, he is a good player, if he can put in the back of the net he should be considered.
I didn't insult Vieri, I just think that in the next WC he will be even older than he is now and Gilardino has everything it takes to be the most complete Italian CF in the recent years.

And of course I'll consider Vieri poor form in the last two seasons - I know he got a bit better now, but he has to do more. And why not consider Euro? He was horrible, the worst player of the team by a mile, missed chances in all the games and was simply terrible. That's what I said, if you consider him, you should also put ADP there. He wasn't good in Euro or the last season, but in the last two games he did well... :rollani:

2) Montella - I don't agree with Roberto here, I consider Montella a special player. He could even play alongside Vieri.
No man, I think Montella is more than special, he's one of a kind, one the most skilled CFs in the world today. I even told the romanistas last season that they didn't need to sign a CF since they had him, when many thought he was over. I just put in doubt his physical condition and ability to stay in top level 18 months from now, since he's getting old, that's all. I said it before and I'll say it again, if the WC was today, I'd take him over Vieri.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The difference between Vieri and DP is Vieri didn't performed well in 1 major tournament. DP hasn't performed in 4 major tournament's. So you can't compare the two. Like I said earlier Vieri will only be 32 in the next WC. thats not over the hill. As for a player that deserves a call up is DiNatale. The NT can really use him on the wing. A position the NT really lacks. I can't understand why he's not a regular on the NT. He is really good player.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Well, that's crap. Vieri cost us the Korea match too (so he only had 1 good competition and failed in 2 really). Del Piero performed well enough considering his benching, injruies and placing him somewhere in the defensive wing. :rolleyes: Vieri missed a million chances in the Euro and was given practically all the match to play for some reason (Sweden), this wasn't the case with Ale who gave a fantastic match. Vieri was a tank in 1998 but that's long time ago. This season he also misses most of his chances , go to the inter forum or see some inter matches. His time has past. I wish he would become the consisent tank he was, but he's not currently. Alex is a leader above everything and he adds so much to the game like playmaking, defending, that there is really no comparison who's more important to the team. Alex scored more goals than anyone in the NT. The bad cirumstances evolving the competitions is irrelevant to his current (which maybe isn't good enough) or future (which will be good enough) form in making the choice... anyway.... off topic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Robert Gallo I didn't explain myself further out of respect for the people who love Del Piero, so basically it is wrong to group DP and Vieri in the same catagory as DP hasen't done it for all the tournaments while Vieri just had one bad one. Vieri at his best is a very very good striker. It also isn't like Vieri just had a couple of good games he has been steadly improving and scoring some pretty important goals. But who ever is inform that is the most important thing.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
This was discussed a lot before Euro, but Vieri hasn't been as good in WC2002 as people keep saying. As gba pointed, he missed an open goal against Korea. ADP saved Italy against Mexico. And the whole XT says, Vieri was good and ADP sucked. Makes no sense to me. The only thing I can think about is personal hate against Del Piero. As I've said before, he's the most hated player in the world together with Beckham.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
if cassano was playing as he was last season, as well as totti...also montella in this form...well, i think the roma trio would be best for italy.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Vieri if in the current form is definitely the best striker Italy have. DP has his moments, but DP always fails for Italy. Sure Vieri missed 1 chance v Korea, but he also scored 4 goals out of the 5 we scored in the world cup. In 98 when he was brilliant he scored another 4 and in Euro 2004 he was useless.

If Vieri continues to be half a starter and sometiems not up until 06' he would be a great striker to have because he wouldnt be as tired as he was going into 2004. He has scored 7 serie A goals this season and only until recently has he been starting, so he is a great option.

Gilardino IMO is still the main forward for at least the next match, he has scroed 8 goals in a quite poor team currently. We will see what happens when he joins Milian in the summer. If he has a great 05/06 season then he would still be my starter.

Montella is class, but as Gallo says, we will see if he is still fit in 18 months. No doubt that when he is fit he is a definite squad member.

The other 2 names mentioned by ToniSamp, Iaquinta could be joining a big team (unforutnately would only be a bench player) but if he can force his way into a starting spot of a major club, I will then consider giving him the call, same goes for Cipriani really who I rate alot. If we had too many injuries he would get a call if I was manager of the NT. Caracciolo could also be going to a big squad and is a possibility once we see what he can do while Luca Toni is obviously not the greatest forward in the world, but one that as a back up, can cause some problems if we decided to play long ball :eek:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Well Vieri is in good form, but age remains the major problem!! I mean do we expect he will be in same form next year or will still have his ups & downs, so its risky!!
Montella as well is on fire these days, but we can say he have always been a great man, rarely given his chance, i think he should be considered for next year..
Gila is our #1.. Young, Bomber, and consistent always!! U know he's expected to feature in a big club next season, so maybe every thing will be clear by that time !! :excited: :excited:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts